IGNORED

TI99/4A keyboard black (spare part needed)

Rolo

Hi,

the "E"-key of my keyboard broke off. It's mounted on a really thin plastic shank :-(. I tried some plastic glue, but I do not think it'll work a long time.

It's an Italian assembled aluminium machine (R049959) with black keyboard. Model No.: PHC004A

Concerning the mounting holes, please take a look at the photo.

I don't want to kill the machine because of one broken key. Does anybody have a cheap fitting keyboard of an already dead machine?

Best regards,

Rolo

post-32856-0-79018400-1392672167_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I may have one or two laying around as well. I seem to remember having purchased a case of spares about 10 years ago. I'd have to find it though, assuming you still need one. They come up on eBay pretty regularly too (often in a Radio Shack bag, as they bought a lot of surplus from TI and sold them as parts for people who liked to tinker).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, found mine, but it is an Alps keyboard so it won't work for your needs. As Ksarul mentioned above, It may be better to just replace the whole keyboard with a different one. I did that to one of my 4a's. It is the black model with a white keyboard now, and actually looks quite nice. Gives it a later 80's look as compared to the early 80's look! :-) They show up on ebay quite often. Hope the repair goes well!

I remember back in the day there were so many variations of the TI keyboard it was amazing. (I remember at least four, it's probably more.) Now, back before I got out of the TI in the 90's, I switched to the beige unit and HATED the membrane keyboard. The problem was the membrane keyboard had keys that had little X's that attached to the keyboard, while the black keyboard had the box arrangement because of the switches. After a couple months of searching I finally found a keyboard that had switches AND Beige Keys. I bet one like that would be next to impossible to find now.

Out of curiosity, does anyone really know how many variations of the 4A keyboard there were?

I'm sorry, I haven't been here for a while...

Thanks for the replies.

My keyboard still is broken. That plastic glue is keeping it together astonishingly well, but it's not a real solution...

I was looking for a whole keyboard, not a single key. Maybe the photo above is helpful identifying the right one. The TI99/4A is the old, silver one with black keyboard and switches.

I'll keep on looking on ebay. If anybody finds one in the drawer, I'm still interested.

Best regards,

Rolo

I'll keep on looking on ebay. If anybody finds one in the drawer, I'm still interested.

Rolo,

You would be better off to go << HERE >> and ask your question as this is where ALL the TI-99/4A users hang out (lot's of TI specific messages all-day long). Also, I remember a guy awhile back was offering keyboards just for the cost of shipping... He said, "I have a metric shite load of them"... or something to that effect.

Hi,

the "E"-key of my keyboard broke off. It's mounted on a really thin plastic shank :-(. I tried some plastic glue, but I do not think it'll work a long time.

It's an Italian assembled aluminium machine (R049959) with black keyboard. Model No.: PHC004A

Concerning the mounting holes, please take a look at the photo.

I don't want to kill the machine because of one broken key. Does anybody have a cheap fitting keyboard of an already dead machine?

Best regards,

Rolo

I hope it's not too late, I ran across that old message << HERE >>.

You might just get your keyboard after all.

• 1 month later...