IGNORED

The Lone Sears Variant?

JasonlikesINTV

So I'm going through my Sears game collection, feeling pretty satisfied with the completeness of my collection :cool:

29 CIB games....check

CIB console....check

Sears Overlay Set....check

CIB Replacement Controller.....eh, I'll find one some day.

Then I come across what I suspect to be a dirty dirty variant. I thought the Sears games were immune to variants! I mean, they are themselves variants, but there are only one of each.....right?

Off to intvfunhouse.......according to Steve's site there are 29 Sears games that are split into two types based on origin. USA titles are in gatefold boxes with a trayless cardboard cartridge pocket. Hong Kong titles are in gatefold boxes with white plastic cartridge trays. Manuals and cart labels also indicate respective origin. Here's a breakdown:

17 Hong Kong titles (white cart tray)
Armor Battle
Auto Racing
Backgammon
Baseball
Basketball
Checkers
Football
Golf
Hockey
Horse Racing
Poker & Blackjack
Roulette
Sea Battle
Skiing
Soccer
Space Battle
Tennis
12 USA titles (trayless cart pocket)
Astrosmash
Bowling
Boxing
Frog Bog
Night Stalker
Snafu
Space Armada
Space Hawk
Star Strike
Sub Hunt
Triple Action
Utopia
Then I discover this:

Sears Night Stalker Variants (backs)

Sears Night Stalker Variants (insides)

WTF? Are there others? :?
Off to the spares......................no variants.
Off to eBay current listings.......no variants
eBay completed auctions?.........no variants
Maybe this is the only Sears game released both ways. Night Stalker, you sassy swinger :pirate: But why?
If anyone has a variant that doesn't match it's origin on the list above, I'd love to see pics. The Hong Kong Night Stalker seems to be the rarer version. My small stack of them are all USA except for the one. Does anyone else have the Hong Kong Night Stalker variant? Is it common or rare? Discuss :)

This is interesting, I bought a large lot that included some Sears variants and as I looking them over I noticed the trayless pocket / white cartridge tray differences and hadn't wandered until today whether this meant that there might be variants within the Sears set. So Jason, you beat me to posting this quandary and now I have to go look at the set all of of my Sears game to see if if there are any.

Checked all including spares and... no variants of variants in my collection :(. Looks like you have a rather unique item, Jason! The only thing I noticed on a couple of Hong Kong titles is that the origin (which identifies location for each component) has been taped over and corrected to say "Made in Hong Kong."

post-31518-0-00247200-1392960187_thumb.jpg

Checked all including spares and... no variants of variants in my collection :(. Looks like you have a rather unique item, Jason! The only thing I noticed on a couple of Hong Kong titles is that the origin (which identifies location for each component) has been taped over and corrected to say "Made in Hong Kong."

Interesting. Was that a USA box (no white plastic cart insert)? Are the cart and manual Hong Kong too? I haven't seen one of those yet. I have a bunch that have marker on the back crossing out certain location/origin text, but no stickers.

Interesting. Was that a USA box (no white plastic cart insert)? Are the cart and manual Hong Kong too? I haven't seen one of those yet. I have a bunch that have marker on the back crossing out certain location/origin text, but no stickers.

No, not USA, it's the box for SOCCER so it's Hong Kong. This is the only one with the sticker, a couple of others also have the location/origin crossed out.

I took a look at my sears box.

right side = white plastic tray

left side = no plastic tray = 13 games !!!!!

so I guess that you have discovered a new type of sears variant LOL

Wait, is your Baseball USA or Hong Kong? If you have it on the correct side, you may have discovered another variant. Pics?