IGNORED

Turbo-BASIC XL - Expanded Documentation

MrFish

Well,

I do not know if Thorsten knows (knew) Frank Ostrowski. In my eyes he is one of the few german A8 geniuses (like e.g. Peter Sabath, Karsten Schmitt, etc.). Would not be too surprised if Thorsten disassembled TB XL himself and created his own well-commented source out of it...

• Like 2

@

therealbountybob

Wow! That is really good news.

It runs on an 800XL emulator and crashes on an 130XE emulator with RAMDISK. Can you fix that?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Seems to work ok on both altirra and atari800 win+ 4.0 with 128K set.... so not sure, is there an error message? Some ideas to try: Check the ATR is loaded as read/write. Possibly might be getting confused with the MEM.SAV I created on the disk - try renaming it (a 130XE will create it on the RAM disk (D8:) automatically)

:)

• 6 months later...

Many thanks Mr.Fish!!! I have heard a lot about Turbo BASIC over the years, but never even typed in a listing let alone written something myself. I think your extremely clear manual will help me take some first steps there.

On a wider note, I very much enjoyed browsing through your website as a whole; extremely clear formatting and layout that sacrificed no detail or depth at all for that clarity. A genuine joy to read.

Turbo BASIC is great, especially considering that it was free to copy back in the day. It's like Atari BASIC squared, with more commands, more memory, and more power -- being much faster. The compiler was icing on the cake. If you know Atari BASIC then you shouldn't have any trouble with TBXL.

I plan to augment the TBXL listing on my website. There are some additional tools, and a few mods that I'd like to have up for download -- although I'd like to keep the original distro copy intact there too.

Thanks for the comments...

Hi MrFish!

At the moment, I am investigating the source code for TB:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Content#section-Content-SourceCode

Sadly, the author has left us in 2011. :-(((

If everything fails, it would be cool to do it in reverse engineering form like the work from Lorenz:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Star%20Raiders%20source%20code%20by%20Lorenz%20Wiest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey,

I am still trying to translate the german text into english... (not easy when you are no programmer).

Looks like you are able to use eXtended Turbo Basic without the docs.

Afair, XTB had been created by Thorsten Karwoth, he is also the author of Atari Macro Assembler 4.32, Atari Macro Assembler XE 2.1, Power Packer, Packer and Linker, Megablast, MyDOS Batchfile Enhancement, Laser Duell, Soundmonitor Professional and a few other programs. I guess that after creating XTB he moved on with Assembler programming...

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

Andreas, do you know if Thorsten released these extensions on his own, or were they published in a magazine, such as Happy Computer?

Well,

since I have scans of all issues of Happy Computer magazine (and the special magazines with A8 content), I can definitely say, that the TB XL extensions (XTB) were not published there. But alas, I do not know, if they were (maybe) published in some other magazine. I believe that Thorsten released them on his own, but then again, I am not absolutely sure...

Alright, good enough then, thanks. I just wanted to get the information on my website about them as correct as possible. I just added them, along the TBXL Linker, DOS (2.5 with "B. Run Turbo BASIC" menu item), and NTSC version today.

Did you ever get a chance to work on translating the documentation for the extensions any more? As I said, I'd be willing to help with the editing and formatting once you get a rough translation.

Edited by MrFish

Hi together!

I am in direct contact with Thorsten. As Andreas wrote, he didn't publish anything. He told me, he patched it directly behind the existing TB. Had the source code, of course, but a water damage in the house, everything is now gone. That is a really dead end. At this point, even I have to pass. But the fight for the TB source code will go on further! I have a new trace, already mailed to, but up to now, no answer. Frank Ostrowski, the author of Turbo Basic XL, has left us in 2011, with sadly no source code available. One more thing is sure, the trace I am on now, will then be a dead end, too. We then have to do it the Lorenz' way:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Star%20Raiders%20source%20code%20by%20Lorenz%20Wiest

The is my main goal, because afterwards we are able to interbreed the sources. "D-Day" is coming. :-)

The(!) last 2 remaining things will then be: Atari Assembler cartridge and EASMD. The cart is from Kathleen O'Brien, but no one knows who created EASMD....

Will keep you up to date.

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 2

Hi together!

I am in direct contact with Thorsten. As Andreas wrote, he didn't publish anything. He told me, he patched it directly behind the existing TB. Had the source code, of course, but a water damage in the house, everything is now gone. That is a really dead end. At this point, even I have to pass. But the fight for the TB source code will go on further! I have a new trace, already mailed to, but up to now, no answer. Frank Ostrowski, the author of Turbo Basic XL, has left us in 2011, with sadly no source code available. One more thing is sure, the trace I am on now, will then be a dead end, too. We then have to do it the Lorenz' way:

The is my main goal, because afterwards we are able to interbreed the sources. "D-Day" is coming. :-)

The(!) last 2 remaining things will then be: Atari Assembler cartridge and EASMD. The cart is from Kathleen O'Brien, but no one knows who created EASMD....

Will keep you up to date.

Hi Buck,

Good to hear you've been in contact with him, but too bad about the water damage loss. Yes, of course these are "patched" as you say, since the extensions just load on top of TBXL.

Lorenz Wiest, right, if you can get someone that interested. Although as FJC mentions, maybe something can be obtained from Drac030's former work.

MF

• Like 1

Yes,

flashjazzcat

do you have the source code for? Else, contact data of the autor?

Would be a little step for you... ;-)

Heh... no, I don't have the source code, and I guess even if I did it would be "eyes only". I don't mean to suggest Konrad should feel obliged to share his disassembly; I merely point out it's been done. :D

• 3 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 10:55 AM, therealbountybob said:

I'll work on the abbreviations as I do my new game, but if anyone already has them listed?

DP =DPEEK

PAU.=PAUSE

END.=ENDIF

Has anyone come up with a definitive list of abbreviations for TBXL-specific commands? I spent some time testing today. I think this is all of them.

-MOVE     -M
%GET    %G.
%PUT    %.
BGET    BG.
BLOAD     BL.
BPUT     BP.
BRUN     BR.
CIRCLE    CI.
DELETE    DEL.
DPOKE    DP.
DSOUND    DS.
DUMP    DU.