IGNORED

Commodore 64 network: Hydra Systems

Mika73

You sure the real name for that network wasn't Rat's Nest? :)

Given the time that was pretty neat though and I'm guessing it was pretty rare.

What could it do? Any docs with it?

I remember the setup Tandy had for classrooms. Student computers were attached to a master computer through a large box.

The box had a selector switch so the master computer could load from any of the student machines and I think (not sure) that all the machine could load from the master computer at the same time. I'm not sure since I never got to use it.

I can't remember if they used the cassette or serial port. I think that was what the DLOAD command was for on the CoCo.

Not exactly a network by today's standard but at the time it was bleeding edge.

There was at least one early setup for the Apple II that let you share a hard drive with a group of machines too.

Maybe for a Corvus drive? (google/wiki reveals the name Omninet)

I remember the setup Tandy had for classrooms. Student computers were attached to a master computer through a large box.

The box had a selector switch so the master computer could load from any of the student machines and I think (not sure) that all the machine could load from the master computer at the same time. I'm not sure since I never got to use it.

I can't remember if they used the cassette or serial port. I think that was what the DLOAD command was for on the CoCo.

Not exactly a network by today's standard but at the time it was bleeding edge.

This was the Network II controller for the Coco (and Model I/III). All of the student computers were connected to the master system by way of the cassette ports. Files could be CSAVED or CLOADED in either direction, but only one student computer could communicate with the master at the same time -- there was no "broadcast" functionality. The main idea was to be able to share a disk drive (or hard disk) and printer amongst many student stations. It operated at the tape speed of 1500 baud.

I do not know when this was first released, but it was used at the Radio Shack Computer Camp that I attended in about 1984, and we had it at my high school when I started there in September 1985.

This was the Network II controller for the Coco (and Model I/III). All of the student computers were connected to the master system by way of the cassette ports. Files could be CSAVED or CLOADED in either direction, but only one student computer could communicate with the master at the same time -- there was no "broadcast" functionality. The main idea was to be able to share a disk drive (or hard disk) and printer amongst many student stations. It operated at the tape speed of 1500 baud.

I do not know when this was first released, but it was used at the Radio Shack Computer Camp that I attended in about 1984, and we had it at my high school when I started there in September 1985.

Hmmm... could have sworn there was a switch location for broadcasting to all the machines. The signal would need boosted to do that though so it makes sense it didn't. It sure would have made it faster to load a common program on all the machines.

I think that actually pre-dates the CoCo but I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...