IGNORED

Trade 256K MIO for ?

MrMartian

I had posted this in the Marketplace a while back, no bites at all.. Thought I'd try directly in here..

I have this 256K MIO here that I don't use.. Is anyone interested? I'm not too sure what they're worth these days, but what I'm looking for is an Ultimate 1M to stuff in my 600XL.

post-14188-0-28948900-1393089688_thumb.jpg

post-14188-0-11859700-1393089689_thumb.jpg

post-14188-0-94575000-1393089689_thumb.jpg

post-14188-0-69203300-1393089690_thumb.jpg

I had posted this in the Marketplace a while back, no bites at all.. Thought I'd try directly in here..

I have this 256K MIO here that I don't use.. Is anyone interested? I'm not too sure what they're worth these days, but what I'm looking for is an Ultimate 1M to stuff in my 600XL.

Used to be the hottest Atari thing that I ever laid eyes on (and actually bought one) today though it just have a sentimental value for me, that is as far as my sentiments go for a piece of vintage hardware, I am sure collectors will strongly disagree with me, I am mostly the practical type and prefer stuff that I can use, just like you. In any case good luck I am sure you'll find an interested collector.

So...... what's it do exactly? Does that 256K work like a solid state drive, or does it appear as RAM on the Atari's bus? Any other magical features?

It connects to the PBI bus, and gives you the following features:

- an RS-232 port for standard modems/printers, a parallel port for printers (like a P:R: Connection)

- a plug for a 80-column board

- a hard drive interface that worked with SCSI drives

- built-in ram (256k or 1Meg), can be used as a configurable ram disk or print spooler

- built-in power supply, ram disk does not loose it's contents

- can be used to boot your atari

was pretty cool for its time.....

Edited by atari8warez

I have 5 black boxes which are also cool, but at this moment they are unused.

I love the functions but it is physical too large in size ... And it also needs an external psu which makes it even bigger.

But yes... Just like the blackbox the mio is a must have for the real collector.

• Like 1

IF this were 1 MB, it would be easier to trade/sell. Original 1 MB were quite uncommon (even more uncommon to still exist in working order.)

Has one additional feature that is neat -- since the MIO ramdisk is separately powered, it retains memory even when the Atari is shut off. And it's ramdisk is very fast -- almost as fast as internal ram (at least under MyDos). However, time has marched on. I'd try eBay.

-Larry

Really the two main benefits of the MIO were the hard disk interface and the R: port. Being able to leave the R: device active while you did disk i/o was a real boon for BBS operations. The ramdisk was kind of meh, the ram was better used for the print spooler for those long assembler listings.

I just like the look of the original ICD MIOs, regardless of the fact modern upgrades are much more practical. I have an RTime-8 and original SDX cart and I never actually use either of them, although I wouldn't part with them. I love the ICD/OSS stuff, and I still recall the high "I want it" factor when reading about the hadrware in ads back in the late Eighties.

I may be interested, I have a brand new 130XE that I installed an Ultimate 1 MB in. I purchased it from B&C a while back. That 130XE basically just sits in the box, I'm not really a fan of it. I prefer to use my stock 800 or the 800XL.

Would you care to trade a 130XE w/Ultimate 1 MB installed for it? I suppose I could always just desolder the Ultimate 1MB and ship that as well. Not sure what shipping on a 130XE would be to Canada though.