IGNORED

Inexpensive Alternative to Champ Adapter

boxpressed

I suspect many of you have already discovered this, but a simple Y-cable (two male connectors, one female) and a standard ColecoVision controller perform the same function as a two-button Champ adapter.

This allows for any 2600 joystick (and probably Sega Genesis) to be used with the keypad for one-button games. I use a Genesis Arcade Power Stick modded for the 7800 for two-button functionality.

I even tested with Defender, which is really picky about joysticks, often firing AND using a smart bomb with the same action button. Both buttons on my arcade stick operate independently using this method.

post-30018-0-93681600-1394043940_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is there really interests?

CollectorVision can easely make a batch of those

Well, if it has the same black plastic casing and the same keypad as the one in the picture, then sure, I'd buy one. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would purchase four of them: One to match up with my Questar joystick, one for my Fire Command II, one for my HS-20, and one for my HS-15. None of these two-button joysticks have an integrated keypad. :)

My only question lies with the cable: If the joystick's cable plugs into this Champ Adaptor clone, do I need to purchase another cable to link up the adaptor to the CV console? If possible, it would be preferable to have the extra cable length built into the adaptor as a unified product.

Well, if it has the same black plastic casing and the same keypad as the one in the picture, then sure, I'd buy one. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would purchase four of them: One to match up with my Questar joystick, one for my Fire Command II, one for my HS-20, and one for my HS-15. None of these two-button joysticks have an integrated keypad. :)My only question lies with the cable: If the joystick's cable plugs into this Champ Adaptor clone, do I need to purchase another cable to link up the adaptor to the CV console? If possible, it would be preferable to have the extra cable length built into the adaptor as a unified product.

Would be the same thing

The plug would be like in the Arcade Controller, with a extra lenght cable

For me, the Champ adaptor is really valuable only when paired with an arcade stick with two button functionality (either a Questar, Fire Command II, or modded stick). For instance, I couldn't imagine being any good at playing Tutankham with any controller whose action buttons aren't placed side by side.

Otherwise, you could just plug in a 2600 stick into port 1 and start the game with the original controller in port 2 (although I know there are a number of games that won't work this way).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suspect many of you have already discovered this, but a simple Y-cable (two male connectors, one female) and a standard ColecoVision controller perform the same function as a two-button Champ adapter.

This allows for any 2600 joystick (and probably Sega Genesis) to be used with the keypad for one-button games. I use a Genesis Arcade Power Stick modded for the 7800 for two-button functionality.

I even tested with Defender, which is really picky about joysticks, often firing AND using a smart bomb with the same action button. Both buttons on my arcade stick operate independently using this method.

Where can you find those Y cables? I've searched everywhere with no luck. Can only find with one male connector and two female. Would one for a computer work? Seen those on ebay for around $6. Just wondering.

Edited by thegamezmaster

Where can you find those Y cables? I've searched everywhere with no luck. Can only find with one male connector and two female. Would one for a computer work? Seen those on ebay for around $6. Just wondering.

They turn up on eBay fairly regularly. Yes, you do have to inquire about the gender of the connectors beforehand. I don't see any reason why a computer one wouldn't work, but I like the black plastic connectors rather than the ones with metal.