IGNORED

Which DOS You use on real hardware?

Sikor

SDX, SuperDOS, DOS XL, DOS 2.5.

Ah SDX does run TurboBasic. But it does not run Chaos Music Composer (crash on load a song), so no SDX for me.

There is patched version of CMC - if I remember correctly this with x - 2.0x or s (2.0s) on atarionline.pl - if I got it from my disks - pathed myself with patch from Tajemnice Atari - will give it - if it is not already on atarionline.

• Like 1

I think -and I speak for myself too- that there are a lot of atari users that want to use their machine, as close as possible as it was originally used, but they also want to enjoy the benefits of a harddisk.

MyDOS does that. It looks just like Dos 2.x but it has a few extra's ... like HD compatibility and the configurable ramdisk.

I love SpartaDos 3.x (disk based)... not because it is so good, but because I had to use it for years when I was the sysop of a BBS.

I'm not so interested in big partitions anymore. I love XDOS. Very versatile DOS, but only for smaller images.

MyDOS falls down on subdirectory support (which I consider perfunctory at best), and performance, since even deleting a file requires the entire thing to be iterated from start to end, but it clearly remains popular and strikes some kind of attractive balance. I used it for some years myself when the Atari Macro Assembler refused to run with SpartaDOS X (problem now fixed, I believe). So there's a definite nostalgia factor as well - likewise with Sparta 3.x - although it's doubtful anyone would argue with the technical superiority of modern versions of SDX (which also provide a very close simulation of the MyDOS menu, BTW [MYDUP], which is still not enough make everyone defect. ;) ). But the fact people still enjoy using 25-30 year old software on a 25-30 year old machine seems entirely reasonable to me.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

FJC's describes it right.

SDX is a fabulous project, but it is a other philosophy. It is new, and treats atari 8bit as a more modern computer. It gives the atari 8bit what it deserves: a modern, powerful DOS, with lots of features and a very professional memory management.

I am not on that path, although I really see the strength of it. That is -well for me- not a point of discussion indeed. SDX = great and probably the best choice.

I'm still wondering why it isn't my thing (yet). Although I appreciate it more and more (also thanks to fjc's excellent apt tools, pbi driver and myide/side drivers for sdx). So yes I haven't used SDX so much since those tools came to my attention.

Now with all the development with THE!CART I try to get all my favorite games on that cart, so that leaves my harddisk to only a certain amount of software. Now I thanks to pigula have working CMC for SDX, the choice for SDX gets a little closer for me.

Bob Puff is one of those MyDos heathens too. In an effort to get him to see the light I wrote an extension for MyDos 4.53 that gave it the ability to read SpartaDos disks. I never finished the write-to-disk part because MEMLO was too high by that point. We talked about moving MyDos under the OS ROM but nothing came of it.

• Like 1

Although MyDos has shortcomings, it is still my first choice. It is a shame that after Puff/Marslett released 4.5, very few improvements have been made. The biggest shortcoming (IMO) is the 64 file limit. The other is that it was never modified to to use a better memory model -- ala the earlier MyDos RomDos. Every time that I make a stab at "being converted" to SDX, I run into some issue and spend a half-hour with the manual and experimenting to get it to do what I want. So back to MyDos I go, and continue use SDX only rarely when something must have it to run properly. Besides, if MyDos (or any other dos) does what you want, why would you switch to another one?

-Larry

• Like 1

MyDOS falls down on subdirectory support (which I consider perfunctory at best), and performance, since even deleting a file requires the entire thing to be iterated from start to end, but it clearly remains popular and strikes some kind of attractive balance. I used it for some years myself when the Atari Macro Assembler refused to run with SpartaDOS X (problem now fixed, I believe). So there's a definite nostalgia factor as well - likewise with Sparta 3.x - although it's doubtful anyone would argue with the technical superiority of modern versions of SDX (which also provide a very close simulation of the MyDOS menu, BTW [MYDUP], which is still not enough make everyone defect. ;) ). But the fact people still enjoy using 25-30 year old software on a 25-30 year old machine seems entirely reasonable to me.

^ this

But I still use it.

Edited by Ripdubski
  • Like 1