IGNORED

Atari 600xl Help Needed

guiltl3ss

Greetings everyone!

I just found an Atari 600xl at my local goodwill that is cib and looks like it has never been used. I just started getting I to Atari things so I grabbed it, but I don't know much about it. What kind of things can I do with this machine? Should I be aware of Anything? I look forward to playing with it.

Thanks!

Well I don't know it personally, but I do know that its 16k (most likely) of RAM can be upgraded to 64k by the user if you're into poking and prodding around inside these things. As I recall from what I've heard, it's not too taxing if you know which end of the soldering iron not to grab. :) And I believe that there are upgrades that can take it past the 64k limit, too.

Storage is of course a potential problem. I don't have a real drive for my Atari XEGS--takes up space I don't even have for the XEGS!--but instead use a device called SIO2PC, which lets you plug your Atari computer's SIO port in on one end and your PC USB port on the other and, with some software, lets the Atari see the PC as storage media. Lets you load disk images, print, and do telnet BBSing, too. There are of course a number of other solutions for storage, depending on your needs. Check out Atarimax and investigate some of the offerings. (There are others out there, too, but I've done a bit of business with Atarimax this past year.)

And how did you find that at a goodwill? I never see that sort of thing around here. :mad:

Greetings everyone!

I just found an Atari 600xl at my local goodwill that is cib and looks like it has never been used. I just started getting I to Atari things so I grabbed it, but I don't know much about it. What kind of things can I do with this machine? Should I be aware of Anything? I look forward to playing with it.

Thanks!

The 600xl is my A8 of choice. I use stock carts and the Atari memory expansion module to get up to 64k. Over 90% of games will run on that. Another great item would be a flashcart setup. Most games can be downloaded for free. That's great as some can be rather pricey and a great way to "try before you buy".

Love the 600XL - it was my 1st Atari 8 bit. I upgraded from a Sinclair ZX81 so the difference was mind blowing! I can still remember playing Pole Position on the COLOUR TV downstairs on Christmas morning. Colour! Did I mention it was in colour? And sound too!

I still have my original 600XL but it has been somewhat beefed up with an Ultimate 1Mb expansion and Stereo Pokey amongst other things. Still in use to this day.

What kind of things can one do with it? What should I get for it besides memory?

Thanks again for the replies!

I would recommend some type of video upgrade, composite and s-video have better signal quality the the standard RF outout.

Here's one example, there are several others: http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/02/0087.php

I would recommend some type of video upgrade, composite and s-video have better signal quality the the standard RF outout.

Here's one example, there are several others: http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/02/0087.php

Another thing I'd add about the video, is that (at least on mine) I get far better picture with using ROM's on the Maxflash carts than with original carts.

What kind of things can one do with it? What should I get for it besides memory?

Thanks again for the replies!

Apparently, you can run 8K and 16K carts on it, stock. But if you want to run 1000s of games you can get off the internet, that run from a disk drive, you need to upgrade the RAM. It is a very cheap and

easy upgrade to make to 64K. With 64K, you can run 99.9% of whatever is available. If you get a little serious, you need a DOS. The 16K 600XL will not run DOS.

With DOS, you can load and save games, and you can program in BASIC and SAVE your programs

You also need a PC SIO2PC device to emulate a disk drive, you can make one for less than $20 or buy a nice one for about $50. If you didn't get a composite video cable, you need that, unless

you use a RF cable and a old timey TV. With a SIO2PC (or APE) interface to your USB PC port, you need disk images, called ATRs, which you can get off internet free.

Edited by russg

Apparently, you can run 8K and 16K carts on it, stock. But if you want to run 1000s of games you can get off the internet, that run from a disk drive, you need to upgrade the RAM. It is a very cheap and

easy upgrade to make to 64K. With 64K, you can run 99.9% of whatever is available. If you get a little serious, you need a DOS. The 16K 600XL will not run DOS.

With DOS, you can load and save games, and you can program in BASIC and SAVE your programs

You also need a PC SIO2PC device to emulate a disk drive, you can make one for less than $20 or buy a nice one for about $50. If you didn't get a composite video cable, you need that, unless

you use a RF cable and a old timey TV. With a SIO2PC (or APE) interface to your USB PC port, you need disk images, called ATRs, which you can get off internet free.

I'm wrong about the composite cable. 600XL, stock, NTSC, only has RF.