IGNORED

Getting your CLASSIC COMPUTER on the Internet BBS's

Omega-TI

It came yesterday. Didn't mess with it yet but I'm a tad confused. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but you install the software on your PC/Mac, then you program it, then the next step will be getting it on a classic computer. But how do I get past the second step if my PC has no RS-232 port?

Edited by Zap!

Do a search for "Belarc Advisor", then download and run the free software. Once it's checked your system it'll tell you the location of every device on your local network, including your Lantronix UDS-10 device. ASSUMING YOU HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO YOUR ROUTER.

Then use a program like PUTTY to Telnet over to the device and make the changes that way. You really don't need the software that comes with the Lantronix. JUST REMEMBER to use PORT 9999 :)

post-35324-0-32314400-1412961945_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump on the old-ish thread, but I have a question about the UDS-10 (mine is still in the mail)

How does it handle incoming connections? Scenario A:

I have an application (client) that attempts to open a socket on a port (remote). If the UDS-10 is remote, will it open a TCP connection and pass the characters through? The data is RAW serial, it is not a telnet session. I am looking to pass the characters straight through a TCP connection into the remote device (an Apple II), but it expects just raw serial characters.

Any idea if this might work? I see there are options for the device to answer all calls, and not to send any confirmation back to the caller.

Thanks!

Sorry for the bump on the old-ish thread, but I have a question about the UDS-10 (mine is still in the mail)

How does it handle incoming connections? Scenario A:

I have an application (client) that attempts to open a socket on a port (remote). If the UDS-10 is remote, will it open a TCP connection and pass the characters through? The data is RAW serial, it is not a telnet session. I am looking to pass the characters straight through a TCP connection into the remote device (an Apple II), but it expects just raw serial characters.

Any idea if this might work? I see there are options for the device to answer all calls, and not to send any confirmation back to the caller.

Thanks!

Looking at User Manual on Pages 32, and 29 through 31. You set the UDS-10 to Modem Mode with the Connect Mode Command, and using the Hayes AT style Commands, set the "Modem" to answer in coming calls.

Page 32 has the command "ATS0=n " which:

Enables or disables connections from the network going to the serial port.

I would think that if your Apple Application communicating on the Serial Port, sees the incoming connection, but sends no characters to the Serial Port, your originating system would have no conformation your system is active. Even though it made a TCP/IP connection to a specific Port.

The UDS-10 Manuals and Firmware are available here.

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

So, in the mode you describe, can the apple transmit back out serial?

It's a bootstrapping process. So as data is fed in via serial, the code running in RAM now will reply with certain characters to establish that the comms are OK. And in some cases, the bootstrapping process is entirely one way, where via serial the entire program blob is loaded into RAM.

Only once it's excuted does it begin to transmit back out the serial to the host.

So, in the mode you describe, can the apple transmit back out serial?

Always.. The question is do the Bytes go to the UDS-10, or do they Pass Thru it to the Ethernet Interface and on to the other end of the pipe.

It's a bootstrapping process. So as data is fed in via serial, the code running in RAM now will reply with certain characters to establish that the comms are OK. And in some cases, the bootstrapping process is entirely one way, where via serial the entire program blob is loaded into RAM.

So Data Bytes come into the Apple ]['s Serial Port, and a Program running at that moment on the Apple will Handshake ( Reply to the Incoming Bytes and establish a Communications Channel ).

In some cases, the Incoming Data Bytes are Uploaded to the Apple ][ and loaded into the Memory?

Only once it's excuted does it begin to transmit back out the serial to the host.

If your referring to "the code running in RAM", I would think that it should. If ( the code ) could "establish that the comms are OK", it should continue to communicate with the Incoming Connection.

If your referring to "the entire program blob is loaded into RAM", you would need to ensure that the "the code running in RAM" Relinquish Control of the Serial Port so your new code can then Communicate with the Incoming Connection.

Or have a driver that handles the Com Port and lets multiple pieces of Code access it.

Your programs would need to be able to determine when the Data is for them, and when it is for some other program. ( This is like checking to see if a piece of Postal Mail is Addressed to you )

Your driver, would need to be designed to let all the individual pieces of Code, look ( Peek ) at the Data or a Header for the Data to determine if it for them. From an efficiency aspect, this is not very efficient, because each piece of Code needs to be executed for every incoming data ( packet ) and see it is suppose to handle it. This is called Polled or Polling.

So, for efficiency you want Interrupted or Interrupt Driven..

The Windows OS implements something called, Call-Backs. When your Code, ( Application or DLL is Executed ), it can Register with certain running Services, so that when some event happens, that Service will Call your Application and Push it some Data.

If you built a Com Driver that handled Call Backs, your individual pieces of Code could register with the Driver, an ID or Address and a Pointer to a Handler for that individual piece of Code's data processing. Then your individual pieces of Code would only be processing Incoming Data when it was relevant to them.

====================================================================

About the UDS-10 in General.....

In this mode the UDS-10 is just like a Dial Up Modem. It has an Off-Line Mode and an On-Line Mode.

In Off-Line Mode, Bytes sent to the Modem ( UDS-10 ) are interpreted and processed by the Modem ( UDS-10 ), Commands Like Dial ( a phone number for the Modem or an IP Address for the UDS-10 ) or Auto Answer ( Answer on Incoming, Ring for the Phone or IP Connection for the UDS-10 ).

In On-Line Mode, Bytes sent to the Modem ( UDS-10 ) Pass-Thru it to what ever is Connected to it.

Was any of this helpful????

MarkO

• 1 year later...

Well, despite getting it on Oct 4, 2014, I just got around to setting it up. Only problem is after doing the steps and running Belarc, I do not see any blank line, which is supposed to be the UDS-10. I have it plugged into my extender. I typed my extender's IP address, but PuTTY said Network error: connection refused. I know the Lantronix is there, because I see lights.

Perhaps it doesn't work with extenders (strange, since my Magic Jack works with it), or I have a firewall blocking it? I'll try it upstairs tomorrow with the real router.