IGNORED

TI-99/4a NEW 5.25 Floppy Disks

CudaSales

You can't buy them "new" because nobody makes them anymore, as far as I know. You can pick up "still sealed in box" packs. I use eBay. I've had no problems at all. I found when searching eBay use the search term 5.25" disks rather than 5 1/4" - seems to get better results. HTH.

• Like 1

No reason to hesitate on a deal like that!

See, and that is the debate. It is a great deal, but I already have about 50 DSDD disks in my closet. I just have not been able to justify another 50. But, like those 360k floppy drives I threw out five years ago, when I finally need them I will kick myself for the decision.

I used Floppydisks.com in the past and bought a bunch of DSDD but didnt think that they had the SSSD.

That ebay auction is nice but I need a lot more than 50. Looking closer to 200+ and can usually get a good deal if I order in bulk but it's been awhile since I have purchased any.

Edited by CudaSales

I remember back in the day the word-on-the-street was that single-sided disks were just double-sided disks only "certified" on one side. At some point I heard/read that since some systems had the read/write head on the top while others (most) had the head on the bottom, both sides of single-sided media were writable. However, I have not come across any information indicating that a system really wrote on the top versus the bottom. Does anyone have such information?

I remember back in the day the word-on-the-street was that single-sided disks were just double-sided disks only "certified" on one side. At some point I heard/read that since some systems had the read/write head on the top while others (most) had the head on the bottom, both sides of single-sided media were writable. However, I have not come across any information indicating that a system really wrote on the top versus the bottom. Does anyone have such information?

Back in the day, I would use a hole-puncher to punch the 2 holes on the other side of the disk, so that the opto could see it. I had a SS/SD drive, so after said hole-punching, I would get 2 disks for 1.

I also used a hole punch for 10 or so years until I purchased one of those Floppy Disk Hole Punches which makes it a lot easier.

Squareholepunch.jpg

That only accounts for half the job. It punches the write protect notch on the edge of the disk. You still need to punch the round indexing holes near the hub as described by S1500.

Gazoo

• Like 2

That only accounts for half the job. It punches the write protect notch on the edge of the disk. You still need to punch the round indexing holes near the hub as described by S1500.

Gazoo

Fortunately not for all systems. The Commodore 1541 and compatibles did just fine without the hard-index hole. ISTR the Atari 810s needed the index, though I am not certain about the 1050. I believe the early Disk ][ interfaces required the index, as well.

TI requires it.

Bummer. I have been reading about Atari's answer to the discontinued WD1772 floppy controller called "Ajax." Made me wonder if a 177x-compatible could be whipped up on an FPGA and thusly enhanced. Considering floppy-reading projects which exist now, I would hope it would might be easy to do. Practical? Maybe not. Fun? Most likely. Over my head? Pretty much right now. :)

I have been watching this for a while as I have been debating on picking them up. The seller is a great seller and I have happily done business with him in the past.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2213327601161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=221332760116&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Looks like te set I bought for making the Mr Chin floppies. I was pretty happy with the result -- but if you already have the disks.... :)

• 1 year later...