IGNORED

Star Raiders cart with Microsoft BASIC installed

Arcanis-Will

I got a box of assorted stuff from Craigslist and one of the cartridges was Star Raiders. But when I turn on the 800 system with that cart installed, it doesn't boot Star Raiders. Instead it displays a BASIC prompt as follows:

ATARI MICROSOFT BASIC II V2.0

© 1982 MICROSOFT

>

Is this an Atari manufacturing error or is it the result of a previous owner swapping cases?

Does the screw look tampered with?

I'm not sure I can answer that. It resembles most of the other carts that I have. There is no protection over the screw, and it is fairly straightforward to unscrew it.

Is it an 800 or an 800xl?

It is an 800, not XL, so without any cart it will go to the memo pad, not BASIC.

There was a mail order outfit in the mid-80's that advertised MSB II carts for something like $15. It turns out that they had used other Atari game cart shells and inserted legitimate MSB II boards/roms in them. Bought one and when I opened the package, it said "PacMan!" Suspect there are LOTS of the bastardized carts floating around.

-Larry