IGNORED

Can't get SIO2PC/1050 to work

Mathy

Hello guys

A while ago, I got one of Atari8warez SIO2PC/1050 interfaces. And after a while, I even got it to work, but:

- I can't figure out how to get it to work with Atari800Mac (4.60).

- Tried SIO Server, selected an ATR at random and booted the Atari from it. Then selected another ATR. Immediately, SIO Server tells me something is wrong, I have to reselect an input device. Selecting the SIO2PC/1050 results in the same error. "About this Mac" tells me the interface is still plugged in.

- With SIO2OSX, I can select the SIO2PC/1050, but again, I have no clue how to use the software.

Anybody have a clue what's going wrong/what I'm doing wrong?

Sincerely

Mathy

• 2 weeks later...

Which version of the device did you get from me Mathy? It looks like SIO2OSX uses RI or DSR for handshaking, version 2.0 of my device can only use CTS as indicated in the user manual so it wont work with a software that does not use CTS. I will however soon include OSX support to AspeQt which supports all 3 possible handshake lines. Also my suggestion to anyone who may be having an issue with one of my devices is to contact me first, that way i may be able to respond earlier, i don't visit AA everyday and if i dont have an answer to your particular question i may be able to refer you to someone who has experience with that particular issue.

Edited by atari8warez

Hello atari8warez (sorry, forgot your first name)

Don't know exactly, could be the first version. I am the one who bugged you about having PCB's made. At the time you used perfboards.

I didn't contact you directly, because it concerns Mac software. I was under the impression, that you mainly speak "PC".

Sincerely

Mathy

PS can this version be converted to use RI or DSR?

Hello atari8warez (sorry, forgot your first name)

Don't know exactly, could be the first version. I am the one who bugged you about having PCB's made. At the time you used perfboards.

I didn't contact you directly, because it concerns Mac software. I was under the impression, that you mainly speak "PC".

Sincerely

Mathy

PS can this version be converted to use RI or DSR

Version 1 (Perfboard and PCB) and version 2 of the device use an FTDI module which encapsulates the UART and the USB connector in one DB9 replacement unit. That unit exposes only the CTS pin so there is no way of modifying the design to use DSR or RI. Later versions use DSR for handshaking as I switched to discrete components starting with version 2.1.

So the solution in your case is to wait for the AspeQt's next release (or next preview release) which will have the necessary adjustments for OS X compilation. Yes I only speak "PC" but I have someone who is compiling and testing AspeQt on the OS X platform and he recently told me that he successfully compiled and tested it, so the official version of AspeQt which will compile on OS X will be available soon.

Ray

Edited by atari8warez

• 1 month later...

Hello Ray

I'm happy to tel you it was user error. The interface is working fine with SIO2OSX. I toke the interface with me to the NOMAM 2014 which was held last weekend, skr tested it for me. It works. But I have to set SIO Hardware type to DSR (as you said, version 1 doesn't work with RI or RTS) and set the delay factor to something other then "No Delay" (which I probably didn't before).

BTW if somebody else is reading this: Why is SIO2OSX telling me SIO Speed is 19200 while in settings it says Maximum SIO Speed is 57600? (And can I increase the speed that's really used?)

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Ray

I'm happy to tel you it was user error. The interface is working fine with SIO2OSX. I toke the interface with me to the NOMAM 2014 which was held last weekend, skr tested it for me. It works. But I have to set SIO Hardware type to DSR (as you said, version 1 doesn't work with RI or RTS) and set the delay factor to something other then "No Delay" (which I probably didn't before).

BTW if somebody else is reading this: Why is SIO2OSX telling me SIO Speed is 19200 while in settings it says Maximum SIO Speed is 57600? (And can I increase the speed that's really used?)

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

I checked my previous response to you and noticed that I mistakenly told you that version 1 and 2 use CTS, which is in fact incorrect. All versions do use DSR (double checked this time from my schematics). So first I am sorry for my mistake and then I am glad your problem is now resolved, no thanks to me but thanks to skr. :)

As for the SIO2OSX telling you the speed is 19200 bps when it also says the maximum is 57600 maybe due to the fact that the port is always opened at 19200 bps and the Atari and the peripheral emulator software negotiate a higher speed when a capable DOS/OS is present. The speed may also change dynamically during data transfer. Your maximum speed as set in the speed options is just that "the maximum available speed" and the actual speed may or may not be the maximum speed at any time during data transfer depending on what has been negotiated and agreed upon between the Atari and PE at a given moment during operation.

Edited by atari8warez