IGNORED

How to speed up your load time by 100%!

Omega-TI

I have seen and used the Tim's version of ROS and believe me it does not need any stamp of approval...... When you do make your minor improvements go ahead and send them on. Perhaps they could be included in the next release.

Well I would love to see the changes that Tim made. -- As for my wording of 'stamp of approval' is because officially I still have all copyright and source code to ROS, I never licensed it out to anyone, but I glad that Tim spent the time looking thru my code to figure out changes, but it would be nice to have his improvements along with other bug fixes officially compiled from the actual original source code, it would seem to me to make more logically sense. -- The CFG is real mess, needs a ton of updating, and there is some small minor bugs in ROS 8.14 that really should be corrected at some point, got to go thru my ROS9 printout and review my notes to see what they were. -- I also have RAMOS directory a much more nicer menu that was written but never released as bootup system, instead of one included with original ROS8.14F release.

Anyhow 1am time to sleep, I really need to get back into the grind of coding, so much shit to do, running all these websites on our servers daily eats up so much of my time plus posting all video games news on Maxconsole.

Well I would love to see the changes that Tim made. -- As for my wording of 'stamp of approval' is because officially I still have all copyright and source code to ROS, I never licensed it out to anyone, but I glad that Tim spent the time looking thru my code to figure out changes, but it would be nice to have his improvements along with other bug fixes officially compiled from the actual original source code, it would seem to me to make more logically sense. -- The CFG is real mess, needs a ton of updating, and there is some small minor bugs in ROS 8.14 that really should be corrected at some point, got to go thru my ROS9 printout and review my notes to see what they were. -- I also have RAMOS directory a much more nicer menu that was written but never released as bootup system, instead of one included with original ROS8.14F release.

Actually, you may be surprised at my approach and pleased with what will be available.

1. I compared 8.14B source code to a disassembly of 8.14F program code.

2. I modified the 8.14B source code so that when compiled it matched the 8.14F programs (TI and Myarc VDP revisions)

3. I then updated the 8.14F source with my enhancements.

4. Not sure if I followed the same practice with CFG; it's been too long to remember. I added some recognition for IDE and SCSI. There is a RAMBO bug that appears when there is more than 2MB available, IIRC. Michael Zapf discovered this problem when he implemented the Horizon RAMdisk in MESS. Not sure if I fixed that bug.

So the good thing is there is a proper code base to work from. Like you, work keeps me occupied far too much these days, so it may be a while before I can get things together. A race may be in order :)

I was playing around this morning with a disk image of Road Hunter that I put on a 3.5" disk as backup in case anything went wrong. Well, the program seemed to take longer than usual to load (not to mention louder), so I pulled out the stopwatch and was shocked to see such a wide difference in load times.

The recorded times are from when the ENTER button is pressed to load the program, to the time the level is loaded and the car moves with the joystick in the up position.

Disk Time : 33 seconds

HDX Time : 16 Seconds

So, on my system, loading from disk takes TWICE AS LONG!

Just another reason to get an HDX folks! :)

Which controller card and disk drive were you using?

Floppy controller speeds vary.

Actually, you may be surprised at my approach and pleased with what will be available.

1. I compared 8.14B source code to a disassembly of 8.14F program code.

2. I modified the 8.14B source code so that when compiled it matched the 8.14F programs (TI and Myarc VDP revisions)

3. I then updated the 8.14F source with my enhancements.

4. Not sure if I followed the same practice with CFG; it's been too long to remember. I added some recognition for IDE and SCSI. There is a RAMBO bug that appears when there is more than 2MB available, IIRC. Michael Zapf discovered this problem when he implemented the Horizon RAMdisk in MESS. Not sure if I fixed that bug.

So the good thing is there is a proper code base to work from. Like you, work keeps me occupied far too much these days, so it may be a while before I can get things together. A race may be in order :)

no a race? -- nah... my days of coding non-stop for days before a upcoming fair and still going on fair's showfloor before it opens are long gone, coding is still running thru my blood, but now I get my normal daily rest and food.

But sounds like you did a good job putting together a updated source from the last one, when you bored and if you can put together a set for me to look at it would be much welcome.

Now to see if I can get another TI99 moved out of storage from Canada shipped to me,console, to replace my one here that is acting up in this hot tropical island, since now I down to just my geneve here, all the rest of my gear is still in cold storage back in Canada, and a ton of stuff it is.

• 4 years later...

Oh yeah, THAT is where it's at! I know guys in this forum have the talent to pull it off too.

If a whole Nano-PEB can be built, surely one tiny little interface for a CF card to plug into a P-Box could be built.

4 1/2 years later... TIPI-PEB is released. :thumbsup:

With micro SD instead of CF... much better.

Before M@'s baby, who would have anticipated all the other things TIPI does? It makes me wonder though if the source code for Remind-Me! is floating around out there? Can you imagine it being modified to use the TIPI's clock? That would add another benefit/feature for all of it's users.

Seeing that this thread is so old, maybe we should add TIPI and FinalGROM load times into the mix too?

4 1/2 years later... TIPI-PEB is released. icon_thumbsup.gif

With micro SD instead of CF... much better.

Before M@'s baby, who would have anticipated all the other things TIPI does? It makes me wonder though if the source code for Remind-Me! is floating around out there? Can you imagine it being modified to use the TIPI's clock? That would add another benefit/feature for all of it's users.

Seeing that this thread is so old, maybe we should add TIPI and FinalGROM load times into the mix too?

I was looking for your tipi benchmark..