IGNORED

Season 3 ~ The New HSC ~ Phoenix (Game 1)

Vocelli

Thanks Gorfy! Your mothership strategy helped icon_wink.gif

My strategies:

-In the first two waves the bugs in formation are worth 20 points, but in flight they are worth 80 points. But this point difference is very small compared with the points available in the other waves. It's just not worth chasing the fliers, they are too dangerous! The bugs appear in two symmetrical lines: blast the bottom one in the first line as soon as each wave starts. The bottom bug in the second line will be swooping down in the meantime, so take out the other three in the first line while you wait. Then when that swooping bug goes back up, repeat the process on the second line.

-In the Flappy Bird waves, get the bottom two birds first because they are too close to effectively dodge fire from. But leave number three: while it is still alive the birds can't swoop down to ground level. They keep a good distance. So aim for the ones above number three and save that one for last. Unfortunately though, if you lose a life the game clumps any remaining birds together and they can now swoop down, even if you didn't kill number three icon_angry.gif

-You can't go right to the edge of the screen, but there's nothing to show where the movement limit is. To avoid this trap, escape attacks by running to the middle of screen whenever possible.

• Like 3

Thanks Gorfy! Your mothership strategy helped icon_wink.gif

My strategies:

-In the first two waves the bugs in formation are worth 20 points, but in flight they are worth 80 points. But this point difference is very small compared with the points available in the other waves. It's just not worth chasing the fliers, they are too dangerous! The bugs appear in two symmetrical lines: blast the bottom one in the first line as soon as each wave starts. The bottom bug in the second line will be swooping down in the meantime, so take out the other three in the first line while you wait. Then when that swooping bug goes back up, repeat the process on the second line.

-In the Flappy Bird waves, get the bottom two birds first because they are too close to effectively dodge fire from. But leave number three: while it is still alive the birds can't swoop down to ground level. They keep a good distance. So aim for the ones above number three and save that one for last. Unfortunately though, if you lose a life the game clumps any remaining birds together and they can now swoop down, even if you didn't kill number three icon_angry.gif

-You can't go right to the edge of the screen, but there's nothing to show where the movement limit is. To avoid this trap, escape attacks by running to the middle of screen whenever possible.

Good tip for the third bird!

This diving attack is the more dangerous part of the game.

But I can't follow it all the time. I "need" to keep shooting everything so I'm always in the zone! The time I start to think before shooting I get less acurate and slower.

I think that's why I never follow the mothership tip (even beeing a good tip). I prefer to stand in the middle shooting and dodging.

I also don't use the shield much. Only when those fearful diving birds get me in the corner. When using the shield, I choose a side and keep pushing towards that direction until the shield ends.

• Like 3

-In the Flappy Bird waves, get the bottom two birds first because they are too close to effectively dodge fire from. But leave number three: while it is still alive the birds can't swoop down to ground level. They keep a good distance. So aim for the ones above number three and save that one for last.

Thanks for this tip. It was very helpful. I assume that what you mean by "swooping" is that the phoenix can actually touch your turret. The formations seem to move up and down a little, even with the 3rd phoenix unkilled.

21010 -- my screenshot was huge so I cut it down to just the score :?

T376Q85.png

Yeah i go into paint.NET but standard paint will work, just go to image resize and change by percentage. I change mine by 50% and save it as a jpeg, makes it fast to upload and is then a nice size for the forum.

• Like 1

Ok, I'd like to participate in the HSC this year. I'm glad we're at Week #1. I put this up after about 5 games. Ironically, my highest score before losing a ship came on my lowest overall scoring game. Hopefully that means I have some room for improvement.

post-274-0-30701200-1393816350_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

good to see all the new names here, welcome y'all!

my old skills are still intact, my second game last night was my best ever game of Phoenix:

post-34560-0-31865300-1393823077_thumb.jpg

after sleeping on it one game today got me a lot farther! 154170

post-34560-0-86229200-1393823613_thumb.jpg

I fight the boss exactly as Gorfy described. I'm also using my right-hand rapid-fire technique which I picked up playing Oink last year! I dont think my thumb would hold up without it. rapid-fire with my middle finger of the right hand, keeping the top of the joystick held between my thumb & hand for dodging.

I only use the shield when I'm getting hit, & sometimes I'm not quick enough. but I almost never use it.

• Like 1