IGNORED

Mess really SUCKS

Romko343

As far as I know, MESS does not run on tablets or smartphones ... at least the more recent releases. I sometimes hear of versions that are said to run on those platforms, but it always turns out to be old versions that have been modified somehow. MAME versions like imame4all or MAME4Droid are not maintained by the mainline developers but seem to be forks.

Also, there may be successful attempts for making MAME run on those platforms, but MESS needs a lot more processing power, so no guarantee.

If you get it running, let me know.

As far as I know, MESS does not run on tablets or smartphones ... at least the more recent releases. I sometimes hear of versions that are said to run on those platforms, but it always turns out to be old versions that have been modified somehow. MAME versions like imame4all or MAME4Droid are not maintained by the mainline developers but seem to be forks.

Also, there may be successful attempts for making MAME run on those platforms, but MESS needs a lot more processing power, so no guarantee.

If you get it running, let me know.

I am using DosBox Turbo and running V9T9 on my android tablet (which is cheap under $200 dual-core chinese clone) and works out very well, does not offer all of what MESS can offer in emulation but it does do the most common of ti99 tasks, I even done some programming on it, running funnelweb editing code, and assembling it on fly, and rag-linking it into ea5 files, and then dumping it off my tablet via its usb cable to my desktop, its a little easier for me on my tablet as i have it in small hard case for 7" tablet which contains a very thin but actual physical keys, so don't have to mess around with a touch-screen keyboard on the emulator screen.

Edited by Gary from OPA

• 5 months later...

Hi Robert, thanks, yes, I am getting a messie :) but I am looking for something nice to printout, for my desktop.

a chart, a summary, something like that, QuickView, not breaking my fingers. Maybe from a manual, but cannot find anything...

Maybe somebody did something for his own needs ?

thanks a lot

Ralf

• Like 1

Hi Robert, thanks, yes, I am getting a messie :) but I am looking for something nice to printout, for my desktop.

a chart, a summary, something like that, QuickView, not breaking my fingers. Maybe from a manual, but cannot find anything...

Maybe somebody did something for his own needs ?

thanks a lot

Ralf

MESS is a big project with incomplete documentation - it's possible there's one out there already, but you can always make one, too. Mizapf would probably know more though ;)

• Like 1

Yes, documentation ... frankly, I also have to look up key settings from time to time.

Here is some information: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto#key_functions

As for the emulated keyboard, the best thing is to imagine a TI keyboard and close your eyes. :D Maybe someone volunteering to draw a keyboard layout so we could put that file on ninerpedia?

• Like 2

Hi, Mizapf, thanks.

what I am looking for is like "Ho do I press i.e. FCTN-<F6> ? "

And this as a list, for printout on real paper, for onto my real desktop, like a strip or so.

Not to have to google 10 or more minutes if I just want to press a key in the TI-Emu,

what is catching all my focus and concentration away from my work.

Means, I try to get a list for the TI-keys likes this function-keys inside the TI-99/4A.

Yes, i could do some charts for that, next time. But first have to get aware :)

In addition, sorry for that, but I don´t understand the meaning of that table:

this "key" and "/key"-commands(?) SDL? S-ScrollLock means Shift-ScrollLock ?

Thanks

Ralf

post-41141-0-76432000-1426766039_thumb.jpg

As for <key> I don't know what the author of that page had in mind - possibly doing some particular rendering? Extending HTML? Anyway, just ignore those elements.

These keys as shown here are only used in "partial keyboard mode".

"(SDL)MESS" is somewhat an anachronism because there were two builds in the past, one for Windows using DirectX, one for Linux and OSX using SDL. Today both variants are contained in the same source tree. However, the term SDLMESS is sometimes still used to refer to the Linux/OSX build. As we saw just recently, some settings in mess.ini only apply for SDL.

But I never heard that the Ins key is used as the uimodekey for SDL builds. Maybe this is just nonsense.

S means Shift, yes. Concerning this Shift-ScrollLock function for pasting: Don't use it. As I explained some time ago, this does not work reliably, you may lose characters.

Edit: You mean Fctn-6, not Fctn-F6, I suppose. Fctn is mapped to Alt and AltGr. I guess you're more likely interested in "where is the colon" or "where is equals"? On German keyboards you have the problem that many keys are unmapped in MESS by default, like ß.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

Yes, documentation ... frankly, I also have to look up key settings from time to time.

Here is some information: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto#key_functions

As for the emulated keyboard, the best thing is to imagine a TI keyboard and close your eyes. :D Maybe someone volunteering to draw a keyboard layout so we could put that file on ninerpedia?

Or maybe Omega might come up with a nice overlay!

Hi Mizapf,

thanks a lot for that good expertise.

Yes, of course I mean FCTN-6, not F6 :) OK, so I can try out now a bit, make a small chart for my own needs,

and will show that here if ready. but may take a while, to get a good run :)

Will try now a bit with the keyboard-mappings...

Thanks

Ralf

Hi,

does anybody know how I can get rid off this menu ?

I get it, also if I start mess with no floppy nor drive...no ram/drives

;(

I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to get rid of that lovely menu.

The version of MDOS that loads that menu (v6.71) is a special compilation that has GPL mode embedded. If you don't want the menu, boot a different version. If you were a power user, you could edit out the menu in the AUTOEXEC file, but you'd have to understand the things that need to remain.

You can always press 'A' to get to the command line.

Gazoo

hmm, if I start first time from fresh copy of i.e. GeneveOS_650_redist.DSK then I don´t have this menu.

If I close the virtual machine and start it new, THEN I have this menu (??)

How can I prevent from that, not to have to recopy the clean DSK-File everytime ?

Maybe any idea ?

Ralf

/EDIT/ ReadConfig and Writeonfig rests on 0 (also if I start QMC2)

Edited by schmitzi

The problem with the config settings is that if you once had a writeconfig=1, it will save all mounts of cartridges or disks of that time. When you have readconfig=1, it reads that configuration every time you start MESS. Tell you, I was once desperately searching for the reason why a cartridge kept appearing in the selection list although I did not specify it in the parameters.

We have a clash of requirements here. People who start MESS without command line (and without QMC2) prefer to have a way to save their last configuration. People who use script files can get pretty annoyed about such a hidden configuration, in particular when it merges with the command line options.

Therefore I suggested you have a look at the File manager and the slot configuration within the onscreen menu (ScrlLock+TAB). This shows you the actually effective configuration. Check whether you have some unwanted disks in the drives.

• Like 1

ah yes, my device-mapping in the QMC2 are empty, but if I go to SCROLL-LOCK in the VM

I can see the devices in the slots. I have removed them, but now QMC2 does not run the machine anymore.....

I also have removed the DSK-File there.

When I restart Mess now from DOS-Prompt, I still get the Menu :(

Means for me, I cannot run MESS fromm Dos/Batch AND QMC2 on the same computer,

as I think I will loose all my time struggling with Mess, not with Geneve ?

Or is there any workaround to run Mess from Dos and from QMC2 in coexistence on one PC ?

Ralf

When you start the MESS Geneve emulation without any device you should get a "CANNOT READ FROM FLOPPY DISK".

You know how to work with scripts, so you could consider to replace the mess.ini as needed. :-) Or what about setting up another directory with an own mess.ini and appropriate paths? The mess.ini file applies to the working directory in which you are when starting MESS.

• Like 2

Oh thanks, thats a cool idea. I think let the existing installation for Mess & the QMC2 as is,

and just "make" a new one for my batch...(what should only be a copy into another folder

by deleting the Mess.INI there ? (as my batch calls the -createconfig if there is no INI)

thanks

Ralf