IGNORED

Easy TI Sprites.

am1933

Having recently started to have a new found interest in programming, I found Basic fairly easy,I have also found Extended Basic fairly easy, taking my first tentative steps in Assembly-this may take a bit more time!

BUT-the question I have is this, has anyone ever found a retro platform where sprite/character definition and movement is as easy as on the TI using Extended Basic?

Having recently started to have a new found interest in programming, I found Basic fairly easy,I have also found Extended Basic fairly easy, taking my first tentative steps in Assembly-this may take a bit more time!

BUT-the question I have is this, has anyone ever found a retro platform where sprite/character definition and movement is as easy as on the TI using Extended Basic?

Pretty simple in fbForth, TI Forth and TurboForth.

...lee

The Commodore 128 has a fairly nice and easy-to-use sprite editor built-in.

I had totally forgot about the 128 sprite editor, I had a 128 from about 1986-88 but if I am being truthful-it was never used in 128 mode all that much.

Looking back I wish I had spent a bit more time in 128 mode.

I had totally forgot about the 128 sprite editor, I had a 128 from about 1986-88 but if I am being truthful-it was never used in 128 mode all that much.

Looking back I wish I had spent a bit more time in 128 mode.

Same here. I did a lot of programming in 64 mode and only recently picked up books about programming the 128 side of things. I did, however, utilize GEOS 128 and Zed 128 a lot. CS-DOS was great in 128 mode, as I recall, and I also used DesTerm and QWKRR 128 (anyone else here remember QWK readers?)

TI Extended Basic and Basic 7 from the C128 are my 2 top favourites.

Of course, speed was the issue on the TI. What I loved about the 128 was also having complete access to the machine. Back in my college days, my technical project was to use my C128 to control an external digitizer, pull in the data, and allow for some data manipulation and measurements. I was able to create a passable and inexpensive digital storage oscilloscope. I'm not sure I would have had such an easy time of it with the TI, since I could access the user port of the C128 very easily.

Sorta got off topic there. But to get back to it, both systems had great control for their native sprites. But for overall access to machine features (such as bitmap drawing), I have to say the C128 wins out.