IGNORED

Elder Scrolls Online (played beta)

Those boosts are obtained through regular play and you can buy the gems that are used to obtain them with in-game currency. They do not offer an advantage to players that choose to spend real money. I actually have a bunch of them in my bags that I didn't buy with gems. I think I've only used one once. It wasn't enough of a boost to really concern myself with. You have an opinion that is based on no experience and flawed assumptions about the game. I have an opinion that is based on actually playing the game. When the next trial event comes around give the game a shot. Then I will consider your opinion on GW2 to have the same merit as mine. Your overall opinion on subscription-based MMO's stands on its own and it's fair enough. I didn't jump into MMO's with GW2 though. I played subscription based MMO's beforehand. The experience of playing GW2 was enough to change my opinion on the matter and has led me to believe that subscription based MMO's will be a thing of the past. $15 a month is a pretty hefty pricetag for one game. Having played a good bit of ESO I don't think it is worth it. Not even close.

A shallow PVP-oriented Skyrim? Ugh, I had high hopes for this game.

Bethesda Game Studios is not developing this game. By all accounts they are currently knee-deep in Fallout 4 development. So I guess the good news (?) is that we aren't getting this game instead of another offline Elder Scrolls game.

Which is why I'm ignoring GW 1 and want to try GW 2. :)

What about 'friend' offers? Most MMORPG's offer something along those lines.

Not that I can find. They have done it in the past. If I get the opportunity I will be sure to send the invitation your way.

I may try it out one more time. It begins again tomorrow night.

If anyone wants to get in on it Game Informer is giving away plenty of codes:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/13/we-have-another-100-elder-scrolls-online-beta-codes-for-you.aspx?utm_content=buffera8839&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping, but I found this thread interesting ... (was referred to this from a more current ESO discussion)

Guild Wars 2 has been free to play since August 2015, and it's fun. I've been enjoying its mobile copycat, Order and Chaos II: Redemption.

I echo the idea that free to play does not necessarily make something terrible, if the system is implemented in a fair way. It increases the player base and allows more people to participate, and also allows the developer to make more money than a flat rate game would.

I don't play any single game enough to justify a $15/subscription but I do like to casually dabble, and am totally fine with throwing a few bucks in for a fair perk once in a while.