IGNORED

WTB PS3 w/ PS2 Backward Compatibility

Hyperboy

My sons finally died so I'm looking to replace it with the same model but I would consider models without PS2 compatibility.

PM me if you have one for sale.

You know, mine died too recently and I only played it like twice a week or less, so in my opinion it's better to get the slim PS3 and a used clean PS2. I'll bet that the replacement you are planning to get will die eventually anyway.

Good luck.

Those launch PS3's are fragile beasts. Mine died on me when playing FF XIII and I had to pay an arm and a leg for Sony to fix it (they wanted to give me a non-BC one and I said no). I keep wondering if mine is on borrowed time.

I have a launch hardware BC one that for the grace of god hasn't shat out on me yet, but I also have one of the emulated support ones and it plays all the same, I even had a modded slim for a while which was modded to play ps1 games, so the software to emulate it still on them, its just turned off, which is super shitty.

I used to want one, as well. Then, I figured how many PS2s I already own, how many PS2s that work perfectly that I can purchase for CHEAP, and how *utterly ridiculous* the prices are for backwards-compatible PS3s that are just going to break down and end up and multi-hundred-dollar pieces of shit. I then recalled all the PS2s I own, and the CHEAP PS3s that can be purchased (and replaced) BRAND NEW, and I suggest that path. There's no more unreliable, simultaneous RIP-OFF as a backwards-compatible PS3. Even if I were to procure one (I can, but I am unwilling), it would be so expensive (and thus preciously-expensive) that I'd be reluctant to wear it out [prematurely] by consuming its MTBF by requiring it to function as a common, lowly PS2. For that duty, I can get a PS2 from a thrift store for $10. So, may as well get a PS3 that's not backward-compatible, and I can get a brand new one cheap. So that's what I did, and what I recommend, but if money's no object, I'd fill a room with 60GB backward-compatible launch models and use them to play games, function as firewood, and light cigars. But that's just me. I make-do with el-cheapo versions of everything, and I never feel guilty for "consuming" those cheapies. Silly me! Each to his/her own!

If I might ask, what does a used launch-style PS3 usually go for these days? I still have mine hooked up and working fine, but I really haven't used it much all these years.

I'm not sure, I haven't looked into a used one until now but I'm curious as well, I'm guessing in the $100 range but I could be way off.