IGNORED

A/V Quality of CDX vs. Genesis 1?

godslabrat

I like my Genesis a lot. In terms of A/V quality, it's one of the best hardware revisions. It also fills my sentimental goal of always using my original systems from child hood whenever possible.

Since venturing into SegaCD land, however, things have become more complicated. First, there is the well-known mess of cords created by the extra power supply, and the giant footprint left by the Gen1+CD2 units. Second, my SegaCD unit died a few months back, and will need a new fuse before it ever works again. The combination of these two issues has made me wonder if, just maybe, it wouldn't be worth trading over for a CDX or X'Eye.

However, I don't really want to trade quality for convenience, especially if that trade will cost me a few bucks anyway. What's the composite A/V quality on combo units like? (I'm phasing s-video out of my setup, so what I get from composite is what I'm going to get).

CDX video is very good. I don't see the rainbow banding I get from the Genesis I. With a 32x mounted it looks the same. My tv is a cheapy so its hard to tell audio quality out from the CDX. I am very pleased with composite out for audio for both the 32X and CDX whether using both together or seperate.

The CDX has the smallest footprint and holds up all day to the larger units in terms of quality. Some carts are snug fits so be ready for that. Also you'll need extension cords to use a multitap like the EA one. I have all of the Sega manufactured CD units and I can assure you the CDX is the nicest one of the three. My only gripe is the power comes out of the back and the AV comes out the side. That made no sense at all, but whatever.

• Like 1