IGNORED

Where to buy C243 (Squiggly Vader)

dwmcqueen

I have a Vader with a horrible scrolling issue (see http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222809-scrolly-wiggly-screen-atari-2600a-restore/)

I noticed the 2200uf capacitor on the side has a slight slash that has a rust-like substance exposed. I am not sure if this is the issue but before removing and replacing the TIA chip, I thought I would give it a try.

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement capacitor? Is this correct - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZL0H6O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&tag=atariage&creativeASIN=B007ZL0H6O&linkCode=as2

or is this - http://www.jameco.com/1/1/25028-a2200-16-capacitor-aluminum-electrolytic-axial-20-2200uf.html ?

Does Radio Shack carry this? Is this even potentially the issue on my Vader?

If the capacitor has erupted then the electrolyte will ooze out and the capacitor itself will have degraded function or not work.

Replacements - any decent online electronics supplier. I imagine Radio Shack should carry them, any brick/mortar store that carries common electronics components should have a decent range of capacitors.

So long as it's the same value, form factor and type (polarised or not) then it should work.

If the capacitor has erupted then the electrolyte will ooze out and the capacitor itself will have degraded function or not work.

Replacements - any decent online electronics supplier. I imagine Radio Shack should carry them, any brick/mortar store that carries common electronics components should have a decent range of capacitors.

So long as it's the same value, form factor and type (polarised or not) then it should work.

Thanks - part of my question is whether this may even be a cause for the rapid rolling or if that is likely something else...

I had a look at some online schematics, C243 on a PAL one I saw had a much lower value (22 pF ?)

If it's part of the video circuit, strong chance it's affecting the picture. If it's part of the power circuit then also a chance.

Regardless, if you've got a single bad component then it can affect the entire system so you'd need to replace it.

Okay - I will replace that. I'll also replace the chiclet capacitor next to it (Service Manual says to replace the chiclet as well so I will do that).

I'll report back here - seems like I find a lot of forum posts about V hold issues on Vaders - but no one every has fixed it.