IGNORED

My Atari VCS Sprite Editor

Here's a clip of my most recent project. I wanted a sprite editor that was specifically for the VCS, handling 8-bit lines and TIA colors. My wife is designing all the art so I figured I would give her something web based. After a few days I've come up with this and I'm starting to wonder if this is worth making public. Your feedback is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/pyDsh78tym8?hd=1

• Like 6

Here's a clip of my most recent project. I wanted a sprite editor that was specifically for the VCS, handling 8-bit lines and TIA colors. My wife is designing all the art so I figured I would give her something web based. After a few days I've come up with this and I'm starting to wonder if this is worth making public. Your feedback is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/pyDsh78tym8?hd=1

It looks nice! Good work! :)

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am a bit torn on how far I want to take this. Part of me wants to host a site that allows full collaboration both private / public. Yet, the minimalistic part of me wants to keep it simple and local and put it up on GitHub for developers to take and customize.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am a bit torn on how far I want to take this. Part of me wants to host a site that allows full collaboration both private / public. Yet, the minimalistic part of me wants to keep it simple and local and put it up on GitHub for developers to take and customize.

No reason it can't be both. License it as AGPL3 if you want to ensure you reap the benefits of any commercial forks, since there aren't a lot of web-based palette-aware pixel editors out there.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever do more with it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I bet somebody could adapt this JavaScript sprite editor for the Commodore 64 so it will be able to make Atari 2600 sprites:

vintageisthenewold.com/new-online-sprite-editor-for-the-commodore-64/

Combine some of the features found here such as single/double/quad player width and changeable kernel lines:

alienbill.com/2600/playerpalnext.html

Related post for batari Basic users:

atariage.com/forums/topic/287262-visual-studio-code-extension-for-batari-basic/?p=4222827

For a simple, web-based VCS sprite editor in JavaScript see https://www.masswerk.at/rc2018/04/TinySpriteEditor/.

The "Tiny 8-Bit Sprite Editor" generates assembler code (for copy and paste) on the fly and accepts common assembler code as input, both in normal and in reversed byte order. Else, there are just a few basic commands, like draw/paint, move pixels, append lines.