IGNORED

Any Californians willing to part ways of their Apple Pippin games?

NinSEGA

I recently purchased an @WORLD unit at my local retro game shop on the east coast (where I live), but there are no gaems anywhere in that area. Since Bandai's warehouse where they sold these things is located in California, I figured that the games must have been liquidated around that area.

Peter Olafson, a video game strategy guide writer/journalist/collector/etc. and California resident has been selling his "freebies" on eBay (lucky bastard) and had a collection of Pippin games that he sold individually. The downside is that I'm a year too late finding that out and he exhausted his supply.

So are there any AtariAgers here that have any Pippin games that they are willing to sell?

A few things to know about me:

1. I am NOT a collector, just a player, so if you have any sealed games, I am NOT interested.

2. I am not looking to pay exorbitant prices on games just so you can make a profit. I believe the medium should be treated like film and be readily available for all to enjoy.

3. I am willing to settle for loose copies so long as the price is reasonable because once again, I am a player, not a collector. Complete copies are nice to have, though.

4. I RARELY sell any of my video games because I eventually get back to them to play on a rainy day.

If I'm ever given the opportunity, I will start a business that will do officially-licensed on-demand reprints of games for obsolete systems. The Pippin shouldn't have been abandoned so early on like it was. It had the potential of having a decent library. Too bad the heads running Apple at the time were some of their worst.

Edited by NinSEGA

I'm not at all suggesting you ask people for binders of bootleg pippin games.

Just sayin' it's a property of the console, that's all.

I know. I mean, isn't "piracy", even of dead systems with extremely hard-to-find games, still frowned upon due to the fact that it is copyright infringement? It's one of those situations in which people like me, who are willing to buy legitimate copies of games, are given the choice of either a) Buying a copy second-hand at a premium, and that money will never reach the original devs/pubs, or b) Not feeding the scalpers and saving money, but illegally downloading a copy and at least experiencing the medium as an art form. The first option is 'morally grey' while the second is clearly wrong.

Somebody has to lead the way and do on-demand reprints of these games, similar to what is done by Criterion, Disney (DVD on-demand of their classic titles), Telegames (Iron Soldier 2, Worms, etc. get reprinted every so often), and Songbird Productions. Square-Enix was doing 'on-demand' reprints of Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy IX, etc. up until 2011 or so for crying out loud. PlayStation 1 games were getting reprints nearly 15 years after their original releases!

Why can't companies take advantage of this? Wouldn't it be more cost-effective than buying bulk of product that would just rot in their warehouses? All they have to do is share the same materials. They could use cost-effective methods like black Amaray DVD cases, black-and-white manuals... I mean, it seems like a no-brainer.