IGNORED

Game conversions suitable for TI

am1933

That's how I see it too. It is possible; you choose the smallest affected rectangle, restore it, then draw your software sprite on top, then blast it into the correct place in VDP. You don't have to do a whole screen at a time (though a lot of spectrum games did, for example, Manic Miner updates the *whole* screen every frame) just the rectangular areas in which a change has been made.

Some games use XOR to remove the software sprite.

Upon watching SabreWulf, you don't really see any more than four moving objects at any given time and even when there is they seem to be distributed evenly across the screen and not all bunched together, would it not be possible just to draw the static collectable objects as interactive scenery as opposed to using sprites for them?

Edited by am1933
  • Like 1

This is interesting ... so, as we know, the Spectrum uses software sprites .... is it possible to have the TI use software sprites in the same way?

It seemed to be a British thing, the BBC micro had no hardware sprites either-in saying that, I think the Spectrum version of SabreWulf actually looks better than the BBC version.

It seemed to be a British thing, the BBC micro had no hardware sprites either-in saying that, I think the Spectrum version of SabreWulf actually looks better than the BBC version.

That's true. Lots of games on other platforms looked better than the BBC versions, with the exception of Elite perhaps. Have you seen Paperboy on the BBC Micro? Terrible conversion! For some reason lots of games were done quite badly on the BBC even though it had impressive hardware for the time.

• Like 1

That's how I see it too. It is possible; you choose the smallest affected rectangle, restore it, then draw your software sprite on top, then blast it into the correct place in VDP. You don't have to do a whole screen at a time (though a lot of spectrum games did, for example, Manic Miner updates the *whole* screen every frame) just the rectangular areas in which a change has been made.

Some games use XOR to remove the software sprite.

True, by updating the damaged area we're bound to be able to do some software sprites. However, recalculating the character definitions and somehow managing the color clash are not to be underestimated in terms of complexity either. Rasmus used software sprites in Scramble for the bullets, but those move in 8 character intervals and the background (star field° is simple enough to just paint the same character over it. Anything that must be able to move with pixel precision over anything but a clear background is very hard on the TI, not only because of the RAM-VRAM penalty but also because we only have tile-based modes on the VDP.

• Like 1

Pac-Man and Ms PacMan are using soft sprites for the ghosts' eyes. Are there any other examples?

In theory it should be possible to use smooth scrolling techniques for soft sprites as long as the sprites move on an empty background and don't overlap.

• Like 2

Hey - There is one game I would love to see on the TI99 and that would be Dizzy from Codemasters. The main sprite obviously dizzy the egg, other sprites could be the flying birds on some screens, but the other static objects could be chars or software sprites! ..... It might be possible - the only drawback would be memory, as Dizzy uses around 8 frames / sprites when he jumps. There are also quite a lot of screens.

• Like 1

Hey - There is one game I would love to see on the TI99 and that would be Dizzy from Codemasters. The main sprite obviously dizzy the egg, other sprites could be the flying birds on some screens, but the other static objects could be chars or software sprites! ..... It might be possible - the only drawback would be memory, as Dizzy uses around 8 frames / sprites when he jumps. There are also quite a lot of screens.

That shell headed little bastard used to drive me up the wall! :mad: , he will have to form an orderly line behind SabreWulf-and there is no point in having SabreWulf unless you have Underwurlde and there is no point in having Underwurlde unless you have KnightLore(well I live in hope) ;)

That shell headed little bastard used to drive me up the wall! :mad: , he will have to form an orderly line behind SabreWulf-and there is no point in having SabreWulf unless you have Underwurlde and there is no point in having Underwurlde unless you have KnightLore(well I live in hope) ;)

LOL!

• Like 1

Underwurlde. What an awesome game. Got it for Christmas in 1984 if I remember correctly!

I am pretty sure that Ultimate had developed KnightLore before Underwurlde but due to it being such a technological leap they held back the release so as not to harm the sales of their other titles, could be an urban myth-but I am almost sure it is based in fact.

I've just thought of another!

Football Manager for the Spectrum ... now, I'm not into football but I really enjoyed this game .... it was written originally by Kevin Toms in BASIC

I believe this is possible on the TI

post-34058-0-18867300-1395447355_thumb.png post-34058-0-01618300-1395447356_thumb.png

post-34058-0-79866000-1395447356_thumb.png post-34058-0-44510100-1395447357_thumb.png

After making certain management decisions like buying or selling players, selecting players from your list, you sat and watched the match unfold, and wether your team won or not was not just random .... it WAS random but other factors helped you like certain players skills or energy, or wether your team had the full 11 players playing, if anyone was injured or had been replaced. Good game.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 1

Football Manager for the Spectrum ... now, I'm not into football but I really enjoyed this game .... it was written originally by Kevin Toms in BASIC

attachicon.gifFM1.png attachicon.gifFM2.png

attachicon.gifFM3.png attachicon.gifFM4.png

After making certain management decisions like buying or selling players, selecting players from your list, you sat and watched the match unfold, and wether your team won or not was not just random .... it WAS random but other factors helped you like certain players skills or energy, or wether your team had the full 11 players playing, if anyone was injured or had been replaced. Good game.

Yeah! Kevin Toms and his satanic beard, I have this game on various formats-biggest dissapointment was the Atari 8Bit version which had no graphics?, I am pretty sure the TI could probably do this in extended basic.

• Like 1

I agree. It would even be do-able in TI BASIC granted the Spectrum used character tiles that moved as character tiles do, every 8 pixels. Although XB would make it faster.

yes the 8bit atari version was text only, as was the Commodore Vic-20 and C16 (i dunno if these were official ports though)

The game actually first came out on the TRS80 model 1, although I've looked and can't find the ROM anywhere!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifFM1.png attachicon.gifFM2.png

attachicon.gifFM3.png attachicon.gifFM4.png

hrmmmm looks an awful lot like soccer to me.

I am rather impressed with Championship Baseball on the MBX. Any other sports game of the caliber would be appreciated: hockey, basketball, football (hand-egg for you non-yanks,) soccer ("football.") :)

• Like 2

hrmmmm looks an awful lot like soccer to me.

I am rather impressed with Championship Baseball on the MBX. Any other sports game of the caliber would be appreciated: hockey, basketball, football (hand-egg for you non-yanks,) soccer ("football.") :)

We have "hand egg" over here too, similar to NFL only the participants don't wear helmets and padding ;)

• Like 2

We have "hand egg" over here too, similar to NFL only the participants don't wear helmets and padding ;)

Yeah and how long are you betting until Health & Safety kicks in and the rugby players have to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) .... they'll be there with high-vis jackets, bike helmets, gloves, knee pads, shin pads, knacker pads and safety fill-out forms. :P

That's the UK. lol

• Like 1

This is probably a silly one but I always had a love/hate relationship with the arcade game called "Bagman".

Never got to play Super Bagman, which was the second version of it, and apparently a slightly better version. Incredibly difficult game to actually win. Didn't stop me from plunking in quarters until I had none left though!

Actually there's already a thread on AA in regards to Bagman here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/129085-that-god-damn-bagman/?p=1556626

-Dano

post-30710-0-09801200-1395556615_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a game conversion FOR the TI, but its a game conversion FROM the TI

Hunt the Wumpus has been remade, last year, for the Spectrum, using the TI's style!

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Hunt+the+Wumpus$&pub=^Fun+Forge$

attachicon.gifHuntTheWumpus_2.gif

Wonder if Rasmus ever considered working Wumpus into the smooth scrolling quadrilogy-that arrow shooting scene really does need some work. ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...