IGNORED

Jr. Pac-Man - Glenn the 5200 Man conversion

MAC-42

I've been playing Jr. Pac-Man on my XEGS lately as opposed to my 5200 because I think I've noticed something. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm imagining things or not. Does the Glenn the 5200 Man conversion of Jr. Pac-Man fix the power pellet bug that prevents you from completing a maze? I mean, I'm sure that's what I'm seeing. I've tried kamikazeing into a ghost when a toy reaches a power pellet several times now and I've been able to play on. I really am seeing this, right?

(Pardon my impression that I'm hallucinating. It's been a very long, hard week and we're not done yet. :) )

Well, Allan, you're getting ahead of me now.... :)

This was my thought, you see. If Glenn converted 5200 JrPac to the 8-bits, one would think that it would be fairly trivial convert it back to the 5200. This was really at the root of my question. So, maybe we'll just have to see if it can be converted, eh?

Anyone else notice that?

No. No, I never noticed that. All I noticed was the hoofbeats of Jr's invisible feet as I try to run as far and as fast as I can from those bloody heat-seeking ghosts! :lol:

I plan on playing a little after the kids go down for bed, so I'll have a look then.

Or just fix the 5200 version... no need to convert the 8-bit one back. :)

It would probably be easier to convert the 8-bit one to the 5200.

Allan

I tend to think that Allan is correct, which is why I mentioned this course of action. Besides, I'd like to learn how to do conversions anyway; Aking and Paul Lay can't be allowed to have all the fun.

What about this one ?

I thought I'd summon you by mentioning your name, Aking. ;)

Well, the Atari load screen came up, but as it transitioned to the game itself, it crashed. It froze at the end of the load screen, both in emulation and in my Atarimax SD cart on real hardware.

@Official Ninja - By the way, the ghosts never paused on my XEGS last night. I made sure to stop mindlessly running long enough to actually pay attention.

The version I have on a disk does on my 130xe. I'll take the xex off the disk tonight and attach it so you can try it.

Thanks, ON. I'll take a look when you can upload it. Would you like a copy of the xex I have to try it out? I can upload it for you, just say the word. As I recall, it comes from the archives found in this thread over here.

Ok.. I have those and use them all the time. I guess I've never played Jr. pac-man from them though, I'll upload the one I have and try the one you pointed to also.

Thanks, ON. I'll take a look when you can upload it. Would you like a copy of the xex I have to try it out? I can upload it for you, just say the word. As I recall, it comes from the archives found in this thread over here.

Ok, The one is Keffington's files does not pause, but the one I've been playing does.

Don't know why, but here it is attached..

Also, only the 1st level has the ghosts pausing... seems like it was done to make the 1st map a bit easier!

Wonder what else is different...

pac-games.atr

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 2

Ok, The one is Keffington's files does not pause, but the one I've been playing does.

Don't know why, but here it is attached..

Also, only the 1st level has the ghosts pausing... seems like it was done to make the 1st map a bit easier!

Wonder what else is different...

Well, the ghosts did pause in their movement in your copy when I had a look at it, ON. In my case, I didn't make it to the second maze. (Ha! Like I'm any good at Jr. Pac-Man! :) ) They did, however, return to a normal movement pattern after I lost my first man. Wonder what it is that causes that initial pausing.

The version you are all talking about (Ghosts pausing) is not a final release. the final release has different sound FX and is more difficult (No Pausing). it also does not have the power pellet bug and the difficulty levels are adjusted by how many ghosts there are on the screen. 1-4.

Edited by Kjmann

The version you are all talking about (Ghosts pausing) is not a final release. the final release has different sound FX and is more difficult (No Pausing). it also does not have the power pellet bug and the difficulty levels are adjusted by how many ghosts there are on the screen. 1-4.

If you're talking about the version from Video61, I had an odd error with that the other day for the first time. I was playing against two ghosts, and after I ate one of them the eyes circled around one block of the maze continually and never returned back to the center so he could re-spawn.

Thanks. I've update the file on my pac-games.atr

Now, someone should convert the 5200 pac-man because the game play is light years more fun than the same A8 version...

Unless I'm playing the wrong one. The A8 version with the intermission screens seems to have a way less aggressive AI than the 5200 version.

A* version seems overall slower all around.

• 7 months later...

Thanks. I've update the file on my pac-games.atr

Now, someone should convert the 5200 pac-man because the game play is light years more fun than the same A8 version...

Unless I'm playing the wrong one. The A8 version with the intermission screens seems to have a way less aggressive AI than the 5200 version.

A* version seems overall slower all around.

Have you tried this version? It's a hack of Ms. Pac-Man (which is one of my favorite ports from BITD) and closer to the arcade version.

I got my Jr. Pac-Man repro from B&C Computervisions, which is definitely the final version with the ability to select the number of ghosts. I like the game quite a bit, but I actually prefer the 2600 sounds. It also feels somewhat less polished than the 2600 version. Not because it doesn't play well, but because of the little things like how part of the intermission plays at the beginning of some levels in the 2600 version.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been puzzling lately over the differences between the 800 and 5200 versions of Jr. Pac-Man, specifically in the sound effects. The hardware is the same, but to my ears, the 5200 version sounds much better, and it would be nice to be able to play it on the 800 as well. For comparison, here's the 800 version ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-QW6NqetWA

... and here's the 5200 version ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJ-w0y9pNs

Notice that the dying sound effects are very different, and that the 800 version has a persistent, high-pitched background "ringing" which is absent in the 5200 version. Is the 800 cartridge image that's been floating around based on an earlier version of the prototype, or is it just broken? I've tried the Glenn the 5200 Man conversion discussed in this thread, which (as I recall) has the correct sounds, but then you have the choppy ghost movements that others have mentioned.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been puzzling lately over the differences between the 800 and 5200 versions of Jr. Pac-Man, specifically in the sound effects. The hardware is the same, but to my ears, the 5200 version sounds much better, and it would be nice to be able to play it on the 800 as well. For comparison, here's the 800 version ...

Notice that the dying sound effects are very different, and that the 800 version has a persistent, high-pitched background "ringing" which is absent in the 5200 version. Is the 800 cartridge image that's been floating around based on an earlier version of the prototype, or is it just broken? I've tried the Glenn the 5200 Man conversion discussed in this thread, which (as I recall) has the correct sounds, but then you have the choppy ghost movements that others have mentioned.

That's the cartridge/ROM version of the 8-bit Jr. Pac-Man. There is an XEX version too, which is either a conversion from the 5200 or at least a different version from the 8-bit cartridge version.

Here are both.

Jr. Pac-Man.rom

Jr. Pac-Man.xex

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Is this the rom without the bugs?

I don't know; they all seem a bit buggy to me (for instance, little sprite data flashes on the screen now and then); but I think the 5200 version exhibited different bugs; I can't remember for sure right now. I actually had these labeled as "OS-B", before I posted them; but I removed it, because I don't think that's right; but who knows, maybe I tested them at one time and found something out.

The ROM/Cart has other differences (besides the sounds); for instance, you can select how many ghosts you'll go up against. The file version doesn't allow for that.

Edited by MrFish