IGNORED

sega homebrew?

metzger130

Guess you did not look to hard......

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/factory/shop/

No legal ROM for everdrive etc.......

No Genesis / MegaDrive version left available for sale but other platforms available.

PC / Mac / Linux / Dreamcast Pre - Orders.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

So the game basically can't be bought anymore for the genesis and no "legal rom" for it. Not sure hat you mean by "legal rom" but hopefuly someday I can find it.

Are there taht few homebrews for the genesis/cd/32X that they are harder to find. I own other systems and see all kinds out for coleco, intellivison, 2600, but the genesis is the only system I currently have a flash cart for and would like to find some homebrews to compare to the games from when the system was actually around new.

So the game basically can't be bought anymore for the genesis and no "legal rom" for it. Not sure hat you mean by "legal rom" but hopefuly someday I can find it.

Are there taht few homebrews for the genesis/cd/32X that they are harder to find. I own other systems and see all kinds out for coleco, intellivison, 2600, but the genesis is the only system I currently have a flash cart for and would like to find some homebrews to compare to the games from when the system was actually around new.

"Legal ROM" meaning there is a pirated version for those who know where to find that was dumped without permission and even "fixed" for use on the Everdrive however I wont be sharing info on where to find that.

The only LEGAL ROM (IE: Approved by the publisher) was a Beta Demo released sometime ago.

Hope that clarifies things.

There is not a whole lot of Genesis homebrew available in general retail or otherwise.

• Like 1

Desert Bus was part of a 3-in-1 multigame of vintage Sega CD homebrew, perhaps the most arduous game ever made since you basically steer a bus for 8 hours with no pause, then you do it all over again. Charity events have been held where gamers play marathon sessions of this game. There's also a modern Fix it Felix remake but for whatever reason the author decided to only make 3 copies. :ponder: Genesis isn't any harder to develop for that SNES, and SNES homebrew is just starting to take off. I imagine Genesis will follow in the path of Atari, NES, and SNES before it. However, popularity of a system does not equate to a thriving homebrew scene. There are far more Jaguire homebrews while N64 is virtually non-existant, even though they share similar architectures (MIPS) despite N64 being far more popular and capable.

Here is a link to PDroms site, Genesis section, description and links to many freely available homebrew games / demos etc for Sega Genesis.

http://pdroms.de/news/genesis/

Another list:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26499-Complete-list-of-New-Sega-Genesis-Games-and-Ports

there is a pirated version for those who know where to find that was dumped without permission and even "fixed" for use on the Everdrive however I wont be sharing info on where to find that.

The only LEGAL ROM (IE: Approved by the publisher) was a Beta Demo released sometime ago.

I knew there was one out there "fixed" for a specific version of the MESS emulator, but I hadn't heard about a fix for the Everdrive.

It's a shame the publisher is no longer interested in selling the game or even providing the demo.

The mix of homebrewers using both high and low level tools at AtariAge is a rare and beautiful thing. I was quite surprised to find other systems didn't have the collaboration that we do here.

Although the Sega Genesis has a BASIC compiler and C and assembly I don't think there's much synergy. Less releases follow from that.

• Like 2

The mix of homebrewers using both high and low level tools at AtariAge is a rare and beautiful thing. I was quite surprised to find other systems didn't have the collaboration that we do here.

Although the Sega Genesis has a BASIC compiler and C and assembly I don't think there's much synergy. Less releases follow from that.

Agreed. The SNES doesn't have much love either... mainly just ROM hacks.

The Dreamcast homebrew is alright, but honestly nothing compares to AA and the homebrews.

• Like 2

Super Fighter Team has a few newer cart releases. From them I only own Star Odyssey, but it was pretty solid. They're not really homebrew, but I get the feeling this thread really has left homebrew anyway.

"Legal ROM" meaning there is a pirated version for those who know where to find that was dumped without permission and even "fixed" for use on the Everdrive however I wont be sharing info on where to find that.

Looks like I'm going to have to get my google on tonight. It works 100%?

I own two copies, but carts are an unnecessary hassle.

Super Fighter Team has a few newer cart releases. From them I only own Star Odyssey, but it was pretty solid. They're not really homebrew, but I get the feeling this thread really has left homebrew anyway.

Looks like I'm going to have to get my google on tonight. It works 100%?

I own two copies, but carts are an unnecessary hassle.

My understanding was that yes it does work 100%..........it did not at first but a few people worked on it until it was complete.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It's too bad there isn't a vibrant Sega Genesis homebrew cart scene, especially one in which you could trade in Genesis cartridges to be re-used. If there was, I'd have a ton of credits because I know several places that have lots of Genesis sports cartridges for a song-and-a-dance. Better to re-use them than them end up in the landfill and enriching goldbug operations.

Well, there are tons of people making repro carts of unreleased titles, hacks, and the occasional PD homebrew or port (e.g. Barbarian). I have 4-5 of them myself. If you can get sports carts for well under $1 each -- especially non-Electronic Arts carts, i.e. ones without the yellow tab -- I'm sure some folks would be interested.

Well, there are tons of people making repro carts of unreleased titles, hacks, and the occasional PD homebrew or port (e.g. Barbarian). I have 4-5 of them myself. If you can get sports carts for well under $1 each -- especially non-Electronic Arts carts, i.e. ones without the yellow tab -- I'm sure some folks would be interested.

What's wrong with EA's yellow tab cartridges? Is it for aesthetics or general disdain for anything related to EA?

From what I've seen, I guess you couldn't take a hollowed out EA cartridge and install a bare Everdrive board into it.

Well, folks do use EA carts for repros of unreleased games that would've been published by them; I have an It Came from the Desert repro that uses the EA form factor.

But yeah, I think it's partly aesthetics -- not wanting to use an EA cart for a non-EA game -- and may have something to do with PCB shape too. Also, the yellow tab makes EA carts trickier/more annoying to open.

Well, folks do use EA carts for repros of unreleased games that would've been published by them; I have an It Came from the Desert repro that uses the EA form factor.

But yeah, I think it's partly aesthetics -- not wanting to use an EA cart for a non-EA game -- and may have something to do with PCB shape too. Also, the yellow tab makes EA carts trickier/more annoying to open.

Good to know [your info as well, Chilly]. Well, if anyone's interested, I could get a bunch of EA carts; not as easy with the non-EA carts.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any leads? Are they over at Sega-16? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a "standard" for custom PCBs to fit the standard SEGA cart case. If you use that PCB layout, it won't fit in an EA cart. There's no layout for a PCB to fit the EA cart case, either.

Back when I had the time to do these things, I made a cartridge board that fits in both Sega and EA cases. So it's possible. Still, the EA cases just aren't as attractive and won't fit into cassette tape storage like the Sega cases.

And FWIW, I may be having time to work on this stuff again soon.

Back when I had the time to do these things, I made a cartridge board that fits in both Sega and EA cases. So it's possible. Still, the EA cases just aren't as attractive and won't fit into cassette tape storage like the Sega cases.

And FWIW, I may be having time to work on this stuff again soon.

Neat! I'm sure some folks would love that... me, I'm in the "hate the EA cart" camp. :x

When I need a Sega cart case for something, I just hop on ebay and get another "throw away" NBA Jam cart. :D