IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Played Burning Fight(copy) for the first time earlier. This game had a lot of criticism for being a 'poor man's Final Fight'.

For me personally, I love the game! Music/sound effects are awesome. I prefer this game to the Streets Of Rage series on Genesis.

Definitely buying an original disc for the NEO-CD. 💪🏻

Can I ask why?

I mean, none of your money would go to the developers, so in this case is it to have a jewel case and booklet to show on a shelf?

If I were you I would save for a neosdloader http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/ and mod your top loader. It loads 4x faster and now supports all games (even the later ever loading fighter games are bearable with it), you can even choose to keep the cd reader functional or remove it. It requires you to solder and lift a pin off the bios … so depending how you feel about it it may not be for you or it requires you to use someone services for the install.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

No problem; I understood what you meant. ☺️ The antiques and Collectibles play a big part in it. Been selling on eBay since 2009. 

If I dare spend $1600 in games at once my wife will kick me to the curb.

Even at the height of my collecting days I doubt I ever spent more than 400-500 on any given month, and that was a big exception already worthy of “the look” from the missus.

1600 us$ were enough to cover 1.5y of purchasing … I bought very few expensive games (the most expensive one was separate purchase of panzer dragoon saga disc 2,3,4 in one lot for 200 then chase disc 1 for about 2y for 70 … in the meantime I was using the pal demo disc for disc 1 which I got for 15 [need an AR cheat code for it to work off region] … to this day I have no box nor manual or artwork for it, just the 4 discs, heck I got a Saturn floppy drive for 100 and then chased the fdd operator disc for 8mo and got it for 30 … and yes panzer dragoon saga can save directly to floppy [what a silly way to find out]).
I believe the purchase of the neosdpro was also quite controversial with the missus … got put in the dog house for a little there, of course had to sell the neosd non pro bought 1y or more earlier or so and the magic key mvs2aes adapter purchased a couple years prior to use the banana cart 161in1 … that helped during the expiation process

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Can I ask why?

I mean, none of your money would go to the developers, so in this case is it to have a jewel case and booklet to show on a shelf?

If I were you I would save for a neosdloader http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/ and mod your top loader. It loads 4x faster and now supports all games (even the later ever loading fighter games are bearable with it), you can even choose to keep the cd reader functional or remove it. It requires you to solder and lift a pin off the bios … so depending how you feel about it it may not be for you or it requires you to use someone services for the install.

I know no money goes to the developers. I just personally love playing the game/s and love playing and collecting for the NEO GEO CD.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I know no money goes to the developers. I just personally love playing the game/s and love playing and collecting for the NEO GEO CD.

Fair enough… I like more the playing than the collecting hence why I rely on flashcarts or burnt or MiSTer … I do have 50 some originals between DC and Saturn (could have just been Ngcd) and quite a few more for later systems, but outside of a bookshelf full of discs I don’t quite see the appeal anymore. The flashcarts are just so much cheaper and convenient.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Played Burning Fight(copy) for the first time earlier. This game had a lot of criticism for being a 'poor man's Final Fight'.

For me personally, I love the game! Music/sound effects are awesome. I prefer this game to the Streets Of Rage series on Genesis.

Definitely buying an original disc for the NEO-CD. 💪🏻

Oh wow! Burning Fight. I love this game Shane. The first time I ever played the title was at a local Dairy Queen in the State of New Jersey when it debuted. Was very impressed by the backgrounds and made me curious at Japanese society with their shopping centers and urban lifestyles. Still have fun playing this brawler. Glad you had the chance to enjoy this one Shane. I love it. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I’m glad their Kickstarter was successful. The only thing is, I’m not sure if it’s worth a $400 cartridge. I might just buy the Dreamcast version first, @Charlie CatWhat about you?

Hi Mike,

Well... Gladmort is like a 7 out of 10 at this point for me. The game looks amazing for an indie title. The colors, backgrounds and details are it's strong points. But my problem is that the gameplay doesn't seem impressive enough and it's just bare basic . What I mostly see is simple running, jumping, hit a few enemies  and usual generic slashing. I personally believe more could be done, but for a small group that's developing a game for the Neo-Geo, I give them so much credit on doing so. But more definitely can be done with it. If they postpone it's release date and concentrate towards the game more, it would really be to their benefit for sure. 

Do I want it for the Neo-Geo? Yes.... But more can be offered for it that I feel they are rushing this product to be available to the public too soon. And since the Kickstarter turned out to be a huge success, it's all the more reasons to use the funds to develop the game better than it already is. 

Anthony..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi Mike,

Well... Gladmort is like a 7 out of 10 at this point for me. The game looks amazing for an indie title. The colors, backgrounds and details are it's strong points. But my problem is that the gameplay doesn't seem impressive enough and it's just bare basic . What I mostly see is simple running, jumping, hit a few basic enemies  and usual generic slashing. I personally believe more could be done, but for a small group that's developing a game for the Neo-Geo, I give them so much credit on doing so. But more definitely can be done with it. If they postpone it's release date and concentrate towards the game more, it would really be to their benefit for sure. 

Do I want it for the Neo-Geo? Yes.... But more can be offered for it that I feel they are rushing this product to be available to the public too soon. And since the Kickstarter turned out to be a huge success, it's all the more reasons to use the funds to develop the game better than it already is. 

Anthony..

Superbly said, and better be careful what you wish for because it might happen in the worst way.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

If I dare spend $1600 in games at once my wife will kick me to the curb.

Even at the height of my collecting days I doubt I ever spent more than 400-500 on any given month, and that was a big exception already worthy of “the look” from the missus.

1600 us$ were enough to cover 1.5y of purchasing … I bought very few expensive games (the most expensive one was separate purchase of panzer dragoon saga disc 2,3,4 in one lot for 200 then chase disc 1 for about 2y for 70 … in the meantime I was using the pal demo disc for disc 1 which I got for 15 [need an AR cheat code for it to work off region] … to this day I have no box nor manual or artwork for it, just the 4 discs, heck I got a Saturn floppy drive for 100 and then chased the fdd operator disc for 8mo and got it for 30 … and yes panzer dragoon saga can save directly to floppy [what a silly way to find out]).
I believe the purchase of the neosdpro was also quite controversial with the missus … got put in the dog house for a little there, of course had to sell the neosd non pro bought 1y or more earlier or so and the magic key mvs2aes adapter purchased a couple years prior to use the banana cart 161in1 … that helped during the expiation process

My wife is really good about my hobby, but she gave me the ‘look’ when she learned how much I spent. I didn’t sleep on the couch that night, but if we had a doghouse- I probably would have been sleeping in that instead. Lol

I have pre-orders for a couple of Neo CD games from PixelHeart, but they were very cheap. I bought Breakers and Neo Drift. Breakers has been shipped, but Neo Drift is still unreleased. Issues maybe? 🤷 

Oh! If you like Laserdisc games, the Taito LD Collection is out for Switch. It comes with Time Gal, Ninja and some shooter completely remastered.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 3

My review of Cyborg Force (Neo Geo) appears in the latest issue of Pixel Addict Magazine:

Calling all classic computer users! We're thrusting off into space this issue in Pixel Addict magazine, with our celebration of the 40th anniversary of the epic sci-fi trading game Elite!

Issue 21 is now available on our web shop for pre-order, so reserve your copy now if you don't already subscribe: www.addict.media

40 Years Of Elite! Issue 21 Pixel Addict magazine 2024

ISSUE 21 Includes:

• It's 40 years since the pioneering space trading game Elite was first released. We celebrate Elite's legacy, with exclusive interviews from Ian Bell (co-creator of Elite), Jez San (Atari and SNES dev), Bob Wade (Zzap!64 magazine) and Elite fan/aficionado Roy Templeman!
  • Where In The World..? Pixel Addict fondly remember PC World, the computer superstore.
  • Rare vintage computing with the Robotron KC87 and Chubby embedded computer.
  • Acorn and RISC OS Wakefield 2024 show report.
  • The story of the Valiant Turtle roving plotter robot for the BBC Micro.
  • Movie and video game crossover, we take a look at the 2023 movie Five Nights At Freddy's.
  • An interview with Ed Lomas (celebrated for his work on Sega, CVG, Sega Saturn, Official Dreamcast, Official Xbox magazines).
  • Alex Trowers (ex-Bullfrog) gives a behind-the-scenes on iconic PC game, Magic Carpetfollowing its 30th anniversary!
  • Our games section is positively rammed with classics, including the StarCraft series, Crash Bandicoot and TMNT Arcade: W rath Of The Mutants.
  • —>New game releases for old systems, with Cyborg Force and Atari Epyx Collection Handheld.
  • Regulars such as news, NES Assembly Programming tutorial series, vintage toy collectables and Homebrew Heroes games section.
  • Plus lots lots more..!

@Charlie Cat @shane857

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I’ve pre-ordered 4 MVS games: Deamon Claw, Super Bubble Pop (received), Knight’s Chance and Vengence Hunters. That’s $1600USD so far.

Gladmort seems nice, but it seems to be missing something. People have said the hero looks a little bland and needs a cape. I believe they should redo the entire hero sprite and add more detail. 

I know its time consuming and all that, but presentation is everything in a Neo Geo game, which is why I redrew everything in Sensitivity. Now I’m worried about the attract screen looking nice. It’s a fun but stressful job!

I can relate man. I’ve preordered project neon/final vendetta/knights chance. And I’m using Canadian funds. I don’t mind spending big bucks on a neo geo game as long as I feel I’m gonna get my moneys worth. That means a game has to have a whole lot of replayability to keep me coming back

• Like 2

Hi guys,

[SAMURAI SHODOWN] Get 80% off all SAMURAI SHODOWN content on Steam! Sale on now for a limited time, so get in quick! Steam listing: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21049/SAMURAI_SPIRITS_KIWAMI_PACK/ #SamSho #SNK #Steam

Anthony..

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

Hi friends - I've been trying to get the newish emulator Geolith up and running.  The documentation says it needs 2 BIOS files: aes.zip and neogeo.zip.  I cannot seem to find aes.zip anywhere!  Does anyone happen to have it and could share it?  You could post it in this thread as an attachment or pm me.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, glazball said:

Hi friends - I've been trying to get the newish emulator Geolith up and running.  The documentation says it needs 2 BIOS files: aes.zip and neogeo.zip.  I cannot seem to find aes.zip anywhere!  Does anyone happen to have it and could share it?  You could post it in this thread as an attachment or pm me.  Thanks in advance!

I always thought the bios were available for free on the Internet. I don’t have them personally, but maybe someone who frequents the thread does. I hope you can find them.

• Thanks 2

Several years ago I ordered an AES game from NG DEV and had somewhat forgotten about it. It finally arrived and I can now say I'm the proud owner of Kraut Buster! It's truly a thing of beauty. From the gorgeous graphics and silky smooth animation to the incredible soundtrack I'm digging this with a shovel. It borrows heavily from Metal Slug but that's fine by me as I love the Metal Slug games. I have to say that the NG DEV team knocked it out of the park with this one imo. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vidiot1981 said:

Several years ago I ordered an AES game from NG DEV and had somewhat forgotten about it. It finally arrived and I can now say I'm the proud owner of Kraut Buster! It's truly a thing of beauty. From the gorgeous graphics and silky smooth animation to the incredible soundtrack I'm digging this with a shovel. It borrows heavily from Metal Slug but that's fine by me as I love the Metal Slug games. I have to say that the NG DEV team knocked it out of the park with this one imo. 

Wow. I thought everyone got their orders years ago. Well, at least you have it. My issue with NGDEV team is how they keep their pre-orders limited. I never seem to find a chance to buy anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

I'm hoping pixelheart re-release Metal Slug 1 and 2 on the Neo-Geo CD(blood included)😂. No way am I paying £1000 for the first and £600 for the second.🤞🏻

My copy of Breakers by PixelHeart arrived today. An original Breakers is over $500. Next on their release list is Neo Drift, which is another expensive Neo Geo Cd game.

I could be wrong, but the chances of PixelHeart re-releasing Metal Slug 1 & 2 for Neo Geo CD is quite good. 

• Like 2

So I'm trying out one of those fake NGPC games from aliexpress tonight. That's a console I assumed there'd never be bootlegs for.

I never noticed until I got the pocket, but some ngp games save to cart--I'd always assumed they all saved to battery-backed system ram running off the rtc battery--meaning save-games might really be a concern on these fakes, not sure yet.

PlirM0I.jpg My4tRrc.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I don't know if anyone here remembers Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings, but Video System called their US branch Mc O'River. Guess they did it just to stand out.

I know the games as in number 2 and number 3 but never seen the first. I finished them via unibios cheats just to see how imaginative the devs were.

One of them (2 or 3 can’t remember) if set to eu region is brutally hard (hardwired to 8 and ignores any difficulty switch settings, I struggle already on the first level with the moveable Eiffel-ish tower robot thingy).

• Like 1