IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

FATAL FURY: City of the Wolves, SNK’s newest fighting game, releases in early 2025 on Xbox Series X|S! Store listings are now live. Wishlist the game now! https://snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/fatalfury-cotw/ #FatalFury #CotW

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

Hey folks!

The latest game in my "20 From 1992" series is another NEO GEO title-- this is the first in the World Heroes series, and it is simply titled WORLD HEROES.  Its special contributions to the VS. fighting genre include an increase of strength for the duration you hold the button for your attack, historical/popular figures from history as the fighters, and, well-- its low degree of difficulty compared to other VS. fighting games!  If your fingers are particularly fast, you can often jump kick at an enemy (with the weak jump kick) and then nail your opponent with repeated low weak kicks, and end your foe very quickly!  They may fall before their energy bar has depleted completely!  So if you have access to dipswitch/settings in the game, you may want to make it a touch harder.  Pretty darn cool game nevertheless, as the graphics-- though not as polished as some SNK fighting games-- are pretty decent, especially the backgrounds of the stages; and the controls are pretty good.  The selectable ninja Fuuma has connections to other Alpha Denshi games for the NEO GEO, like Aggressors Of Dark Kombat (playable character) and Ninja Commando (an ancestor of one of the characters).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It makes you wonder why SNK didn’t make more games like The Super Spy. Maybe it didn’t do well in arcades, but as a home title it rocks! A FPS is possible on the Neo-Geo. Wouldn’t it be nice if a dev team tackled a game of this calibur?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

It makes you wonder why SNK didn’t make more games like The Super Spy. Maybe it didn’t do well in arcades, but as a home title it rocks! A FPS is possible on the Neo-Geo. Wouldn’t it be nice if a dev team tackled a game of this calibur?

Definitely bro! 💪🏻💪🏻

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wrt to FPS and in general CPU rendered games (Doom style, Quake style but even just Wolfenstein 3d style) … the Neogeo CPU does not have access to video RAM it can only tell the gpu to render sprite x, y, z that are already contained in the cart ROM (Sprite ROM I believe).

So nothing can really be computed real time and every angle needs be pre rendered using lots of ROM space and it is impractical for non on-rail stuff (aka extremely limited motion).

I believe that is still true for the ngcd but I am not 100% sure.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, shane857 said:

Just thought this was so freakn cool!

Wow! I have to admit Shane, I'm impressed by it. I would like to know more about his works and maybe he can make a few for those that are interested. :)

Anthony..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

Been playing The Super Spy for the first time this evening.

Really impressed with the sprite scaling and overall size of the games graphics. Hard to believe this is running on a 2D Console...

I always enjoyed The Super Spy Shane. My father was into this game and would play it when he had the chance to do so. My brother tried to like it, but for some reason, it gave him headaches. Always wondered why. :ponder:

Anthony..

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Yasuyuki Oda says that more characters are coming to King of Fighters 15 despite Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves development @Rooflemonger

EventHubs

Yasuyuki Oda says that more characters are coming to King of Fighters 15 despite Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves development

None
Posted by Justin 'AdaptiveTrigger' Gordon • 5 hours, 41 minutes ago • Comments: 14

09_kof15-more-dlc-bnr.webp

B. Jenet and Vox Reaper were recently announced for Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves, SNK's next big fighting game scheduled to release in early 2025.

Meanwhile, Hinako Shijo was released as the final DLC character for King of Fighters 15's Season 2 back in November 2023. Since then, we've yet to hear word of a third season of DLC content being in development, leading many to believe that post-launch content for King of Fighters 15 has been concluded.

However, Yasuyuki Oda, SNK Producer of King of Fighters 15, recently sat down for an interview with Rooflemonger at Summer Game Fest where the topic regarding the future of King of Fighters 15 was discussed. Though Rooflemonger was asking some pretty major questions, Oda was surprisingly forthcoming with his answers.

"Is there anything in the future for the King of Fighters 15 past what we have gone through for year one and year two?" asked Rooflemonger

As mentioned before, we've had two seasons of DLC for King of Fighters 15 which resulting in 20 additional characters being added, with the last being Hinako Shijo. With it being so long since Season 2 had concluded, many believed that SNK had shifted their focus entirely to the development of Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves.

"We are planning to add a few more characters to the game," responded Oda through his translator. "More details to come in the future, but there's nothing to share explicitly today."

"So there is more life in King of Fighters 15, for sure?" asked Rooflemonger in a follow up question.

"Yes," immediately responded the translator. Looks like there's still more to look forward to for fans of King of Fighters 15.

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Street Fighter 6 Director and Producer indicated that they were huge fans of SNK fighting games over a year ago #StreetFighter6

yF_J0i-t?format=jpg&name=small

From eventhubs.com

EventHubs

Street Fighter 6 Director and Producer indicated that they were huge fans of SNK fighting games over a year ago

None
Posted by Justin 'AdaptiveTrigger' Gordon • June 9, 2024 at 9:57 a.m. PDT • Comments: 21

09_sf6-snk-fans-bnr.webp

Terry Bogard and Mai Shiranui will be guest starring in Street Fighter 6 Season 2 (alongside M. Bison and Elena). Notably, this is the first time for third party guests in Street Fighter.

How did this all come to be in the first place? As highlighted by Renz, it would seem that Street Fighter 6 Director Takayuki Nakayama and Producer Shuhei Matsumoto themselves are big fans of SNK fighting games.

Back in November 2022, before Street Fighter 6 was released, Nakayama and Matsumoto sat down for a rapid fire interview with Game Informer where they were asked 118 questions in about 17 minutes. A few interesting topics came up during this segment.

"What's your favorite crossover game that involves Street Fighter?" asked Game Informer.

"Probably Capcom vs. SNK 2," responded Nakayama.

Notably, this was a game developed and released by Capcom back in 2001. In recent years, there's been some speculation about the possibility of Capcom vs. SNK 3, but this has yet to come to fruition.

A little later in the interview, Game Informer would ask about which fighting games Nakayama and Matsumoto liked playing.

"Do you have a favorite fighting game besides Street Fighter?" inquired Game Informer.

"Definitely," responded Nakayama. "I'm a fan of Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers, and I just played it yesterday."

"Actually, I just played King of Fighters '97 the other day," chimed in Matsumoto.

This certainly provides us with a little insight as to how the conversation for Terry Bogard and Mai Shairanui appearing in Street Fighter 6 may have potentially started. Of course, nobody could've guessed back then what this meant for Street Fighter 6 in the future.

Anthony...

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

New crossover lore shared for Tekken by Katsuhiro Harada after Terry and Mai were announced for Street Fighter 6

EventHubs

New crossover lore shared for Tekken by Katsuhiro Harada after Terry and Mai were announced for Street Fighter 6

How seriously we take the info is another question though it does make sense

None
Posted by Dakota 'DarkHorse' Hills • June 9, 2024 at 3:11 p.m. PDT • Comments: 7

08-crossover-lore-tekken-street-fighter.

Fighting game stories and worlds are becoming a bit more convoluted again with crossovers now a common occurrence where some are directly canon while others remain vague at best.

Years before Terry Bogard and Mai Shiranui were announced for Street Fighter 6, a couple icons from Capcom and SNK appeared in a different mainline fighter with Tekken 7, and one of them just got a fun new bit of crossover lore attached to them.

As pointed out by UltimaShadow, Akuma was a canon part of Tekken 7's story while Terry and Mai will be featured in SF6's World Tour, which somewhat officially opens the door to those two games and Fatal Fury all taking place in the same universe.

Longtime Tekken Project Director Katsuhiro Harada saw this post and took things in a bit of a different direction with their other big crossover inclusion from the last game.

According to Harada, Geese Howard taught Eliza how to perform her Dark Wave projectile.

This would make sense considering the vampire's fireball looks a lot like the Fatal Fury villain's Reppuken that also travels along the ground.

We're not immediately taking this to be truly canon, however, since there's nothing else to really back that up, and Harada's ellipses at the end may imply he's being a bit sarcastic or having some fun with fans over the connected concept.

Also, it was Geese Howard who taught TEKKEN Eliza the "Dark Wave"……

p0-GA6yL_normal.jpgUltimaShadow (2005)@UltimaShadowX
·
Jun 8
Akuma was in Tekken 7 and was a canon part of the story. Terry and Mai will have World Tour missions meaning they likely will also have canon story in SF6. We now live with the possibility of Tekken, Street Fighter, and Fatal Fury all officially sharing the same universe.
Show more

Unlike Akuma, Geese wasn't really given much for story details in Tekken besides being interested in the Devil Gene, and we're not even sure if his appearance is technically even canon either.

But knowing the brutal fighter with an unsatiable hunger for power and knowledge, we could definitely see Howard being supremely intrigued by Eliza and her vampire abilities.

This doesn't do much to clear up what's actually going on in these games now with guest characters running around, but it's at least some fun food for thought.

It is hard to imagine too that the world warriors and Fatal Fury crew would stand idly by during Tekken 8's massive war if they were to be all connected now.

These series have of course interacted before in crossover games like Capcom vs. SNK and Street Fighter X Tekken though those were always set up as what if combination timelines as opposed to now when Terry is showing up in a mainline Street Fighter.

How Terry and Mai will be incorporated into SF6's story and any impact they have remains to be seen along with where

Tekken 8 will go with crossovers in the future.

Previously, Harada revealed his team originally wanted a different Fatal Fury villain for Tekken 7 instead of Geese.

We also recently discussed why Terry and Mai's inclusion marks a major shift for Capcom, which could spell the end of crossover fighters as we knew them.

Anthony..

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

The Kickstarter for #GladMort was a success A huge thank you for your incredible support The entire PixelHeart & ChipsOnSteroid team is grateful! Stay tuned for updates on development stages #NeoGeo #Steam #AES #NeoGeoMVS #Dreamcast #GhoulsnGhosts #MetalSlug #PixelArt

Anthony..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi guys,

The Kickstarter for #GladMort was a success A huge thank you for your incredible support The entire PixelHeart & ChipsOnSteroid team is grateful! Stay tuned for updates on development stages #NeoGeo #Steam #AES #NeoGeoMVS #Dreamcast #GhoulsnGhosts #MetalSlug #PixelArt

Anthony..

Neo Geo CD release please. 🌟

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Metal Slug Tactics demo is up. I played it for a short time today, but based on my very limited time I'm going to say that I like it. Need more time with it, but will definitely get it when it releases.

Good to see you back with us Steve. Thank you for  the heads up. I would really like to try this out and see how it is. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

Metal Slug Tactics demo is now up. Enjoy it while available fellas. :)

From the description,

"Add Metal Slug Tactics to your Steam wishlist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/15...

Experience the first-ever demo of Metal Slug Tactics, available today as part of Steam Next Fest from June 10-17. Watch our new Gameplay Overview Trailer to get your first tactical mission briefing. Begin in the barracks of the Peregrine Falcons Squad to assemble your team, considering each character’s unique abilities. Complete high-tension battles to unlock Tarma as a playable character. Metal Slug Tactics is a tribute to the iconic series, offering a fresh and imaginative take. It embodies METAL SLUG’s timeless aesthetic with stunning pixel art and fluid animation. Each mission features intense battles accompanied by original music composed by Tee Lopes, renowned for his work on Sonic Mania, League of Legends, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, and Streets of Rage 4’s Mr. X Nightmare DLC."

Anthony..