IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Believe the real issue is the Shipping cost, for example I use to order magazines from http://www.fujisan.co.jp/?link=headerwhich is basically the only Japanese site that does a lot of importing to US for print media as they have a Satellite office in California where they would ship it out from and the shipping alone cost was $6 per issue, a lot when you consider that magazines have basically no weight. But when you consider how much Neo Geo games weigh they are very pricey for shipping when not ordered in bulk from Japan

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 1

That's pretty cool having an official SNK store again. They've got some nice items for sale there.

Back in 1997 I was the software buyer for HMV in Liverpool, UK. We used to order a lot of items from Centersoft, a UK distributor. I loved ordering from them as they'd always throw in a few extra freebies. One day there were some cool SNK items. I snagged an Art of Fighting sharp pencil set which came in a lovely presentation box. I used the pencil for years. No idea what happened to it or the other stationary that was in the box.

Hey Mark,

Thank you for stopping by the Neo-Geo thread and having a look at the SNK online store bro.

Wow. That's amazing that you had an Art of Fighting pencil set with the box. must've been a real treat to have that in your collection. I didn't know you have in interesting background in the field of business. We would love to listen to you talking about it in your memories in the business on your channel. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Nice to see a friendly community come together to get some stuff ordered off that site. The pins are kind of tempting but I really wouldn't know what to do with them (or where to put them either.) Hopefully the store expands more items into it and opens outside of Japan.

Yes this one here is pretty nice, and I know of another non forum based one as well online. Nice people good conversation, lots of information and some help when needed.

Thank you for the kind words Tanooki. Were glad to have you aboard with us. :thumbsup: :)

Yes, those pins look very tempting. But as of now for me, I have too many of pins/buttons from an Ebay seller that custom made his own that was involving Neo-Geo logos and characters. Maybe in the future perhaps since these are official versions. :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more Tanooki, haven't been here long but this lil Neo community is such a nice place to hang out! Plus Im never afraid someone will attack or insult me for asking a question I need answering, as I have done on other "neo-geo" threads and forums! I

MJ

Glad that the Neo-Geo thread and Atariage.com is to your liking Matty. We're here to continue helping you with questions and concerns. So keep them coming bro. We're here to assist you and others as much as possible. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

Believe the real issue is the Shipping cost, for example I use to order magazines from http://www.fujisan.co.jp/?link=headerwhich is basically the only Japanese site that does a lot of importing to US for print media as they have a Satellite office in California where they would ship it out from and the shipping alone cost was $6 per issue, a lot when you consider that magazines have basically no weight. But when you consider how much Neo Geo games weigh they are very pricey for shipping when not ordered in bulk from Japan

Boy I remember that I had to ship some video games back to Japan because they were defective enoofu. The cost was outrageous. I think I remember the highest I spent for shipping regardless was $70.00 alone. Its insane. Some of the games value were less than the shipping rates itself at times. :(

Anthony..

• Like 1

Boy I remember that I had to ship some video games back to Japan because they were defective enoofu. The cost was outrageous. I think I remember the highest I spent for shipping regardless was $70.00 alone. Its insane. Some of the games value were less than the shipping rates itself at times. :(

Anthony..

Yeah yous guys postage is so much! Its madness, that pack you sent here Ant was like $22/25/29 summit like that and that was just a small VHS tape sized box!

Oh and thank you for sorting Pauls account out!

MJ

Edited by mattyjjenkins
  • Like 2

Here is a interesting guide on ordering games from Yahoo Japan, it from arcadeotaku one of the bigger Japanese Arcade/Video Games focused site

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2989

Nice enoofu. We really could use this for reference in the future. Thank you for posting this on the thread for us. :thumbsup:

Anthony..

• Like 1

Yeah yous guys postage is so much! Its madness, that pack you sent here Ant was like $22/25/29 summit like that and that was just a small VHS tape sized box!

Oh and thank you for sorting Pauls account out!

MJ

That's right Matty.

Plus, I just sent another package out to Liverpool that was similar to your box size and it was $24.00 dollars(£18.39 exact) :(

BTW, your welcome with Paul (16Bites) he should be stopping by later to say hello to us. :)

Anthony

• Like 1

Hi Gang,

I've been looking around this thread here and there, but I've been lurking, since I don't have a Neo-Geo and really don't feel the need to get one. However, I've been getting into the Neo a bit more, and I'm wondering how many people are doing things my way. I'm getting into Neo-Geo on the Wii, specifically, the Wii-U.

I'm gonna say this now: I think the Wii-U is a ridiculously underrated system. There is so much potential in this little box that was either untapped or just plain ignored by the masses. And not the least of which is CHEAP NEO GEO GAMES, words that don't tend to go together. To seal the deal, the video output on HDMI is gorgeous, and the Wii Classic Controller is a logical substitute for the NeoGeo pad.

Granted, there are some caveats: You need to run your U in Wii mode, and do your shopping through the Wii section of the Virtual Console, which means buying credits directly from Nintendo instead of on Prepaid cards. Something of a pain, I admit. And yeah, the selection is a bit limited (totally excluding CD games) but you still have over 50 games available. And for under $10 each! Plus, you can actually get a collection of some of the games on disc.

Okay, I'm sorry, I realize I'm sounding like a shill for Nintendo. That's not my intent... I just think this is a fantastic alternative to spending crazy amounts of money on a Neo if you're someone like me who might be interested in the system, but has no particular affection for the hardware or just plain can't afford it. Of course, I understand the want to have the "real deal", but this is an option I think too few people look into. IMO, it's a WAY better deal than the Neo Geo X, so doesn't that earn it some credit?

So, I guess my question is, how does one go about selecting the "best" games on the system? Since there are so many fighting games, and so many of those games are series, what's the "best" King of Fighters or Fatal Fury? Do you get the first one, that started it all? The last one, with all the bells and whistles? Or is there one in the middle that just represents the "sweet spot" for the series?

• Like 2

NeoSaveMasta is a life saver if you care to really try and back up all your goodies and not have to worry about 25 year old lame battery death ticking away to completion losing all your work.

Having been a WiiU owner I can't agree with you. That system had little potential, and what little it did both Nintendo and mainly third parties squandered not using that tablet controller properly. I imagine if you just want a sorta portable and can hack your way into putting a truck load of NG dumps on there to run sorta remotely on your couch due to the short distance allowed that's fine. If you had to go with a Wii I'd just use the original as it's far less crappy with a better setup for warez, other apps, homebrew etc.

Considering your argument at $10 a pop, given the rapid pace that the ACA releases are hitting Switch it seems like wasting a ton of money on a dead system when it will get surpassed and cost less too.

I'd take a Neo-Geo X over using a WiiU to be honest, but since I can already run stuff through Neo.EMU on my shield (android) tablet that is a waste anyway when that works better and far less buggy on the TV (mini hdmi to hdmi) or off as a portable device.

Personally when it comes to NG I tend to ignore a lot of fighters as there's just too much junk and if I do I try and shoot for the less common type, usually weapon based combat or some interesting mash up. The usually figured best/better of the KOF are 98 but I no longer enjoy it. :P With Fatal Fury I used to like Special some, but the only one of that family I really enjoy and get into is Mark of the Wolves. My choices would be stuff like Samurai Shodown 3 (and/or 1), The Last Blade, Garou MOTW, and SNK vs Capcom, though I still have a soft spot for World Heroes.

• Like 2

Hi Gang,

I've been looking around this thread here and there, but I've been lurking, since I don't have a Neo-Geo and really don't feel the need to get one. However, I've been getting into the Neo a bit more, and I'm wondering how many people are doing things my way. I'm getting into Neo-Geo on the Wii, specifically, the Wii-U.

I'm gonna say this now: I think the Wii-U is a ridiculously underrated system. There is so much potential in this little box that was either untapped or just plain ignored by the masses. And not the least of which is CHEAP NEO GEO GAMES, words that don't tend to go together. To seal the deal, the video output on HDMI is gorgeous, and the Wii Classic Controller is a logical substitute for the NeoGeo pad.

Granted, there are some caveats: You need to run your U in Wii mode, and do your shopping through the Wii section of the Virtual Console, which means buying credits directly from Nintendo instead of on Prepaid cards. Something of a pain, I admit. And yeah, the selection is a bit limited (totally excluding CD games) but you still have over 50 games available. And for under $10 each! Plus, you can actually get a collection of some of the games on disc.

Okay, I'm sorry, I realize I'm sounding like a shill for Nintendo. That's not my intent... I just think this is a fantastic alternative to spending crazy amounts of money on a Neo if you're someone like me who might be interested in the system, but has no particular affection for the hardware or just plain can't afford it. Of course, I understand the want to have the "real deal", but this is an option I think too few people look into. IMO, it's a WAY better deal than the Neo Geo X, so doesn't that earn it some credit?

So, I guess my question is, how does one go about selecting the "best" games on the system? Since there are so many fighting games, and so many of those games are series, what's the "best" King of Fighters or Fatal Fury? Do you get the first one, that started it all? The last one, with all the bells and whistles? Or is there one in the middle that just represents the "sweet spot" for the series?

Hey Aaron,

Glad to have you aboard and expressing interest onto the Neo-Geo. We're here to give a helping hand bro. :)

The virtual console is a option for you to have. But personally, I'm a man that likes to have a physical copy of the game. The Nintendo Wii has a great compilation title from SNK called, SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 for the unit just like the Playstation 2 has. So many great choices of great titles that help make the Neo-Geo what it is.

Personally for the price on getting virtual console titles from SNK, compilation versions on CD are better. Plus, if you go on the internet, the prices aren't as bad as one thinks compared to how many games are included.

How I started to play the best games was from the ground up. I went with Neo-Geo's humble beginnings to play the early games, and work my way up to play to 2004 with Samurai Shodown 5 Special. I like Fatal Fury Special, FF3, and Mark of the Wolves personally. As for King of Fighters, go with 98. Its really the best in the series and you would see why the moment you play it.

Hope this helps you bro. :)

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Personally I much prefer playing SNK games on SNK hardware. I love my WiiU but I only ever play WiiU games on it. Ive got every games console to hit retail since 1984 but none of my systems are hacked or run home-brew anything like that. Some of my console are chipped for playing none PAL games but none are hacked as I say!

When it comes to SNK games as well I think the NeoCD format is very under-loved I no a lot of people give it stick for the super long load times but the CDZ really does make a huge difference and until June just gone (when my Mrs bought me a NeoSD for my Bday) my CDZ was the primary way I enjoyed SNKs vast library. I do have the odd SNK game from Nintendos Virtual Console for my Switch but I have the originals to these for my CDZ. Im not one to say 'thats a shit idea' or 'are you crazy?' like they would on 'other' neo-geo sites, I just think with a CDZ, CMVS/MVS or NeoSD there are better ways to enjoy Neo games, plus when you have the original hardware theres the collecting aspect of the Neo too! And with my NeoSD I can enjoy all the games on one cart but still collect games as and when I can afford them.

Each to there own though but I do love picking up minty new homecarts and everything that goes with that.

In terms of good games there so many a lot of people say the Neos all fighting games and only any good if your a beat'um'up fan but theres so many great games out there and like Tanooki says theres loads of cool shooters on the console! But if like me you do LOVE bet um up its heaven! :)

My list of greats would be...

ViewPoint-Shump

CaptinTomaday-Shump

SNK v CAPCOM-Fighter

NeoBomberman-Puzzle

MagicalDropIII-Puzzle

Sengoku3-ScrollingFighter

NightmareInTheDark-Puzzle'ish'

ShockTroopers-Shump

SamuraiShodown2 and 4-Fighter

I think they'd be my top 8 right now!

I have to disagree with Tanooki here, Im a big fan of my WiiU, but then Im a big fan of Nintendo and wether its Nintendos fault, third parties or even both there faults theres no denying after a year or so it was Nintendo themselves keeping the WiiU alive, in fact carrying it in terms of games, and there was some great games that came to the WiiU.

Of corse this is all my own opinion and everyones free to do what they want however way they want.

Are they official SNK memory cards Ant?

MJ

Edited by mattyjjenkins
  • Like 1

Yes this one here is pretty nice, and I know of another non forum based one as well online. Nice people good conversation, lots of information and some help when needed.

You may want to stop digging yourself deeper and should probably stop commenting about neo-geo.com for some time.

Hey MJ,

Those are from NeoTurfMasta. Really awesome pieces of work he made with them. I always wanted one, but never went the distance to purchase one though.

Anthony..

NeoTurfMasta off the n-g.com thread? Are they still for sale mate?

MJ

Hello fellow Neo collectors/players,

Thought I would introduce myself as the fairly new NeoNoob in the room.

I purchased a AES around three weeks ago and took delivery last week, obviously I will now be hanging around here quite a bit.

Thanks to @mattyjjenkins for all the Neo Advice and loaning me a game (yes you read that right - he loaned me a AES game)

Not forgetting @Fdurso224 and Albert for getting me approved so quickly.

Edited by 16Bites
  • Like 3

Dude that had nothing to do about that site, I said NON forum can you not read? I was speaking of a facebook community for SNK related stuff.

I dun goofed, though considering some of your previous posts I was assuming that you were criticising ng.com by calling it a non forum. I made in error on which post I was quoting, but my main argument still stands. Again, sorry it was an error on my part.

Edited by Neo 64