IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hello guys and gals, Jon and I decided to revisit Metal Slug 5. This time with a custom bezel. A short game play video, but just a display of how well this 2003 SNK title plays on a pi. I'm thinking of making a video for 1-4 counting down and doing the last couple stages instead to capture the ending as well. Thank you for letting me share this, and I hope you enjoy. :)

https://youtu.be/54zuIj2oTSo

• Like 2

Hello everyone, here is Nightmare in the Dark. Another video with my buddy and I. This 2000 game by SNK and Gavaking/Eleven didn't run the best on the pi, but that is part of reason I make these videos, so people know. It experienced slow down with 6 or more enemies on the screen. For shame, it was a fun game to play and a relaxing video to make. Thank you for letting me share this and I hope you all can enjoy this. :)

https://youtu.be/xUIWANDmel4

• Like 1

Here is some footage of me enjoying some Garou Mark of the Wolves on a Hyper Neo Geo 64 candy cab at a Street Fighter tournament sponsored by Paradise Arcade Shop. I wish I could have brought one of those beautiful cabs home with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m7BD75EpHw&lc=z22asdc5or32jd2ecacdp4352fty1fgjpj1hlef41wpw03c010c

Very cool! I am horrible at fighting games. But I enjoyed watching this being played on a cabinet and by someone with more skill. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Here is some footage of me enjoying some Garou Mark of the Wolves on a Hyper Neo Geo 64 candy cab at a Street Fighter tournament sponsored by Paradise Arcade Shop. I wish I could have brought one of those beautiful cabs home with me.

Hey Glynn,

Always in the mood to see your pro gaming skills in action my man. Thank you for stopping by and sharing this with us. Were always glad to see you with us posting away on the thread Glynn. :)

Anthony...

Hello guys and gals, Jon and I decided to revisit Metal Slug 5. This time with a custom bezel. A short game play video, but just a display of how well this 2003 SNK title plays on a pi. I'm thinking of making a video for 1-4 counting down and doing the last couple stages instead to capture the ending as well. Thank you for letting me share this, and I hope you enjoy. :)

My favorite in the series Dan.

Metal Slug 5 maybe the last for the Neo-Geo in the franchise, but I personally felt they saved the best for last. This game has a great soundtrack and the boss at the end is really epic.

Thank you for sharing this with us Dan. Keep up the great work you always do. :)

Anthony..

Hello everyone, here is Nightmare in the Dark. Another video with my buddy and I. This 2000 game by SNK and Gavaking/Eleven didn't run the best on the pi, but that is part of reason I make these videos, so people know. It experienced slow down with 6 or more enemies on the screen. For shame, it was a fun game to play and a relaxing video to make. Thank you for letting me share this and I hope you all can enjoy this. :)

Ah, good ol' Nightmare in the Dark. A perfect game for this time of year for October and all year round. We all love this fun title and amazing artwork was done on this one as well.

Thanks again Dan. We are looking forward on seeing more from you soon with Jon. :)

Anthony..

Hi guys,

1. Windows 10 PC「アケアカNEOGEO」シリーズで、新たに「メタルスラッグ 3」「ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ '98」など5タイトルの配信が開始されました。これでWindows向けの「アケアカNEOGEO」シリーズは50タイトルとなりました。ぜひお楽しみください! #アケアカNEOGEO https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/store/search/games?q=%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B1%E3%82%A2%E3%82%ABneogeo&devicetype=pc pic.twitter.com/RFjmWnLXSp

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Japanese by Microsoft

In the Windows 10 PC "Akeaka NeoGeo" series, the delivery of five titles such as "Metal Slug 3" and "The King of Fighters ' 98" has been started. The "Akeaka NeoGeo" series for Windows now has 50 titles. Please enjoy! #アケアカNEOGEO https://www. microsoft.com/ja-jp/store/search/games?q=%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B1%E3%82%A2%E3%82%ABneogeo&devicetype=pc

DoK9VvTUUAA9oUH.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2001 is now available on PS4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One! It's a fighting game released by SNK in 2001. Make a team of up to 4 fighters with the new Tactical Order Select system! #ACANEOGEO http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamster/arcadearchives/switch/kof2001.htm pic.twitter.com/zglwtNggUg

DoXTV45U0AA9bMO.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. New titles have been released on ACA NEOGEO for Windows 10 PC. The new added titles are... "METAL SLUG 3","THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98","TOP HUNTER","POWER SPIKES II" and "REAL BOUT FATAL FURY SPECIAL".Please enjoy the master pieces of NEOGEO on PC!#ACANEOGEO https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/search/games?q=aca+neogeo&devicetype=pc&orderby=releasedate+desc pic.twitter.com/fP8qQO27Sx

DoXUTx0UcAArjca.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【緊急告知】タイトーステーション溝の口店開店1周年記念イベントZUNTATA NIGHT SPECIAL「GAME MUSIC BATTLE STAGE! TAITO x SNK x CAVE」10月14日(日)開催決定!3社サウンドチームによるトークとミニライブステージ!入場無料 https://www.taito.co.jp/gc/news/3448  #zuntata #メガレイジpic.twitter.com/3gqQBNZ994

Translate Tweet

[urgent notice] 1 year anniversary event Zuntata Night Special [GAME MUSIC BATTLE STAGE! TAITO x SNK x CAVE "October 14 (Sun) held decision! Talk with three company sound team and mini live stage! https://www. taito.co.jp/gc/news/3448 #zuntata Free #メガレイジ Admission

DoY-JcXVsAU9JIb.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. Brian Hargrove Retweeted 紫暮

Look, a Technos #NeoGeo development board. Wonder whats on it. #SNK

1. CONTINUE ゲーム90年の歴史より、ネオジオ開発用基板。メモカにプログラム載せて開発するそうです。pic.twitter.com/sPuc7VJ7Y1

Translate Tweet

CONTINUE game from the history of 90 years, GEO Development Board. Memoka to develop the program.

DlxEe0AUYAAJSC4.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

This morning, we're with Ch3FfsFaMilyTV, Here we see the gentleman playing The Lat Blade on his Austrialian Neo-Geo MVS cabinet. Enjoy. :)

From the description,

"Neo Geo MVS 4 slot Arcade Cabinet Overview

Welcome back to another video! I have recently picked up another arcade machine. This is a Neo Geo 4 slot Arcade Cabinet. I have wanted one of these for many, many years. I am running a 1 slot motherboard inside this cab, model MVS MV-F motherboard that has a UniBIOS chip installed. The old battery has been replaced with a modern coin cell battery holder. I purchased this MVS board as it offers stereo sound. I hope to film more videos of this MVS arcade machine in the future. Thanks for watching!

For future videos, please like and subscribe!"

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. Don't forget to come up to level 9 to experience our dedicated Fighting Game Zone with everything from SuperGunned #SNK original arcade boards to classic Sega and Nintendo console versions of #StreetFighter, #SNK vs #Capcom 2 and other amazing classics!pic.twitter.com/UEU7f4ULGX

DoaOB6fU0AAyamP.jpg
    DoaOB6bU8AATg3F.jpg
    DoaOB6dUcAAp_Lo.jpg
    DoaOB6gV4AApuy4.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. FATAL FURY, SAMURAI SHODOWN, ART OF FIGHTING and KOF series soundtracks are now out through online music distribution! Search "SNK SOUND TEAM" in distribution service ! Click here for more details:https://business.facebook.com/SNK.KOFWORLD/photos/a.243289412680053/737954449880211/?type=3&theater pic.twitter.com/AuXWaqwmyO

DoGGDZJUcAEAUPF.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【イベントのお知らせ】 明日10月3日(水)からついに大宮マルイにて『THE KING OF FIGHTERS Limited SHOP in Omiya MARUI』がスタート!TGS2018で先行発売した商品を一足早く販売します!イベントの詳細は大宮マルイのホームページを御覧くださいませ。 #SNK #KOF #NEOGEO https://buff.ly/2xIM6ZS pic.twitter.com/tif3t6M0mI

Translate Tweet

【 Event Announcement 】 The KING of Fighters Limited SHOP in Omiya MARUI starts at Omiya Marui at last from Wednesday, October 3! I sell a product that was released ahead in tgs2018 a little early! For details of the event, please visit Omiya Marui's website. #SNK #KOF #NEOGEO https://buff.ly/2xIM6ZS

DoeL4BgWsAA9mwD.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 「SNK e-Sports Support Program」にて頂いたグッズは、参加者全員&一部を大会上位者+抽選で配布予定です。 お楽しみに!pic.twitter.com/chhOaQGb2y

Translate Tweet

All participants and some of the goods received by the SNK E-sports Support Program are expected to be distributed by the top winners and lottery. Please look forward to!

DobLLGfUYAID917.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 本週六日於鑽石山荷里活廣場舉辦的「Gameone2018嘉年華」,將會有全新手機遊戲《拳皇大蛇篇GO》的展覽活動203c.png 現象更會送出 NEOGEO Mini,大家記住到場參觀啦1f3ae.png#snk #kof #snkhk #snkasiapic.twitter.com/kc6Fgoa4U9

Translate Tweet
    Translated from Chinese by Microsoft

This week 6th in the Diamond Hill Hollywood Square held the "gameone2018 carnival, there will be a new mobile game" Boxing King Big Snake Go "exhibition activity ‼️ phenomenon will send NEOGEO Mini, we remember to visit #snk #kof #snkhk #snkasia

Dod9TqWVAAA6Ue4.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

1. 【KOFASクイズ★中級 正解発表!】 KOFASクイズにご参加ありがとうございました! 正解は画像で確認▼ 問題はゲーム内の内容より出題いたしました。 当選者の皆様、DMご確認の上ご返答お願いします! 返答期限:10月5日23:59 次のクイズもお楽しみに! #KOFAS #KOF #KOFASクイズpic.twitter.com/yDjWriRTB2

Translate Tweet

[Kofas Quiz ★ Intermediate correct announcement! Thank you for participating in the KOFAS quiz! The correct answer is a ▼ question from the contents of the game in the image. Dear winners, please respond to the DM confirmation! Response deadline: Thursday, October 05, 2011 at 11:59 am looking forward to your next quiz! #KOFAS #KOF #KOFASクイズ

DoZ0b7mV4AAAM2N.jpg

Anthony...

Hi guys,

What will SNK's new Samurai Shodown need to survive in the current competitive field of fighting games? With so many fighting games out right now, the competition is bigger than it's been for a very long time — how will SNK approach this?

nicholastaylor.jpg
By Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • September 29, 2018 share-twitter.png

25-what-will-snks-new-samurai-shodown-ne

Fighting games have been on the rise for quite some time now, and we keep seeing records broken time after time as far as the competitive level and engagement goes for these titles.

With so many different fighters out on the market, and so many of them competitively active and thriving, it's a tall order to release a game right now if you have any intention of giving it competitive life, which is something most developers would strive for when it comes to fighting games.

Earlier this month, SNK wowed us all by showing off their upcoming revival of the Samurai Shodown franchise, which turned heads and granted reactions all across the internet.

Now, Samurai Shodown is a pretty recognized brandname across the world, and many players have fond memories of these games, but in today's competitive landscape that probably won't cut it if you want your game to be a success.

Development budgets and sales demands are higher than ever, and with the increasing prevalence of eSports and competition for fighting games, you also need to make sure that players will embrace the game for the long haul, and not forget it after just a few months.

In short, fighting games are bigger right now than they've been for a very long time, and if SNK want Samurai Shodown to have a spot at the table, they'll need to prepare accordingly. So, what can they do to ensure that Samurai Shodown becomes a success for both them and their fans? Let's look over a few key aspects they'd need.

Make a good first impression

28_samshoban1.jpg

This is a very important step for any upcoming title, fighting games in particular, and it feels like SNK have already nailed the initial part of it with Samurai Shodown.

Although their previous title, King of Fighters 14, ended up being quite successful, its initial reveal was met with a lot of scorn due to the relatively low quality of the graphics (which they improved later on, several times). With Samurai Shodown, the initial reveal has been much more positive, with a distinct, strong artstyle that makes the game look very pretty.

First impressions can be everything in today's competitive landscape of gaming, and while SNK have overcome the first hurdle, by having a successful reveal, it's just as important to have a successful launch. We've seen many fighting game stumble out of the gate, and suffer long-term because of it.

King of Fighters 14 managed to mess up the first part but nail the second part — so let's hope that Samurai Shodown doesn't pull a reverse situation, but instead nails both parts.

The launch is likely quite some time away, with a simple 2019 release window being all we know right now, but given how much SNK put in to their last game at launch, it feels fairly safe to assume that Samurai Shodown won't be a let down when it releases, either.

Market the game continuously to make sure it stays in people's minds

28_samshoban2.jpg

Between the two parts mentioned in the previous section, there's another important thing that needs to be done — keep the game in people's minds, and don't let them forget about it.

Good examples of this practice include Street Fighter 5 before its launch, King of Fighters 14 leading up to its launch and any new Super Smash Bros. title. You'll get a continuous trickle of character reveals and trailers showing off all the game has to offer in a relatively set fashion.

In Street Fighter 5, it was one character every month from its unveiling up until the game's launch, while Super Smash Bros. tends to do their reveals any time a Nintendo Direct is upon us. For King of Fighters 14, the whole roster was leaked beforehand, but nevertheless SNK kept their marketing strategy up and released team trailers on a regular basis.

Considering SNK already did a solid job with this for their previous title, one would hope that they'll do the same with Samurai Shodown, but you never know. Capcom are good example of doing it right (Street Fighter 5) and then doing it wrong with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, where we saw complete silence on the game for months on end between trailers.

Hopefully, SNK are aware that their last strategy was the way to go, and stick to it this time as well.

Have a solid post-release plan of support

28_samshoban3.jpg

Love it or hate it, DLC is here to stay. Any game in the fighting genre is bound to have it, and post-launch support is more of an expectation than a hope at this point.

This area is a bit tricky, however, since it can backfire immensely if you don't play your cards right. Namco Bandai fell in some hot water recently with the status of Tira in Soul Calibur 6, who got a trailer last month but is still slated as a DLC character despite the game not being out until late October.

The gist of it is that you want to make DLC, but you don't want to show it off fully playable before release. Communicate with your consumers, but make sure they don't feel robbed by you. About a year ago, I made quite the lengthy article on this very subject, in fact.

Basically, SNK need to have a solid plan of support for the game even after its release to keep players interested. In a marketplace where new characters, stages and modes drop on the regular for titles, you need to make sure that your title doesn't end up feeling stale and dated by comparison.

While diehard fans will undoubtedly stick with the game through thick and thin, this is a very important step to ensure that the game continues making money from more casual players or gamers who play many different games and need to be selective with their playtime.

This is yet another area where King of Fighters 14 did quite a good job, with four DLC characters per year after its launch, which were created due to the good success the game had at retail. Hopefully, SNK have some light plans for post-launch DLC which will come to fruition if the base game does well with consumers.

Show consumers that the game is being made to stick around

28_samshoban4.jpg

This may seem similar to the last part, but there's another aspect to it that needs to be explored, namely that the game is being made to stick around in the competitive scene.

While casual players are a very important part of keeping a game alive, it's also important for a game of competitive nature, such as the whole genre of fighting games, to be able to showcase events with high level play to interest people in watching the game being played, perhaps drawing in new potential fans long after the game's release.

Although it's hard to imagine SNK having the budget at their disposal for a full-fledged Pro Tour similar to what Capcom are doing with Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition or Bandai Namco are doing with Tekken 7, giving a solid push to maintain interest in the game from the tournament crowd is essential for the game to be successful even after launch.

You can't control what games your potential consumers will play, so all you can really do here is two things — make the game as appealing as possible in order to draw in competitors to begin with, and do as much as you reasonably can to make sure the game maintains a tournament presence.

Even without the big "eSports money" that the main titles in the FGC have, any sponsored tournaments will help motivate players to better themselves and put on a good show. Make sure that there's a quality stream and solid commentators attached, and you've got yourself a home run of continued advertisment for your game while simultaneously making your playerbase happy.

SNK may not be the powerhouse some of the other publishers in the game are, but they've been in the business long enough to know how this works. I'm sure whatever they may be lacking in funds they'll make up for with pure acumen.

Give players something that the other titles are not

28_samshoban5.jpg

Here's a tricky part that many games struggle with when they come out in a competitive scene. You need to make your game stick out and make consumers feel like they're getting something different than the other current titles are able to give them.

If you make a game that's basically just a clone of an existing franchise, it'll be difficult to overcome your competitor. Even if your game ends up more polished and more solid than theirs, they might just run you out of business on brand name alone on virtue of being first, and building a fanbase that are reluctant to jump ship.

This is where Samurai Shodown as a series has a big advantage going in, namely that it's a weapon-based 2D fighter which has historically functioned quite differently from any of the currently popular fighting game franchises.

While there are smaller games that may be somewhat similar to what Samurai Shodown does, it is in fact a double advantage for SNK here that this actually is a legacy series with strong nostalgic ties for some players, meaning that it not only has the brand name value, but also that it'll likely feel like a fresh alternative to the other titles people are currently playing.

Obviously, it's too early to tell before we've had our hands on Samurai Shodown ourselves, but signs point to this being quite a good situation for Samurai Shodown as well.

Long story short, it's always a huge challenge to compete in a market filled with rivals, but given SNK's smart moves with King of Fighters 14 these last few years, combined with Samurai Shodown seeming to address the complaints people had with the previous game, it's looking quite bright for SNK next year.

Of course, there may yet be other unannounced fighting games on the horizon we know nothing about, or Samurai Shodown may end up being a mere flash in the pan and be much less exciting at its release than the reveal trailer would have you believe. We simply don't know yet, but based on what's been seen so far, I think there's room to be optimistic about this classic series having a successful revival in 2019.

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224