IGNORED

Stuntcycle at Phillyclassic 4

Mr.gamer

As long as the sale begins in the middle of Saturday afternoon, you aren't going to miss much being on line for a couple of hours.  Philly is WAY exciting, but if you are a full timer like me without a life, Saturday afternoon gets a bit slow...

I plan to be playing a hell of a lot of Gorf on Saturday afternoon! :D

One small project I have thought of trying is making some connections to the spring-loaded pot on the dedicated Atari Stunt Cycle SC-450 and using this as inputs to control 2600 Stunt Cycle.

If anyone gets a chance, ask Bob if he still has a source for 2600 Stunt Cycle .. and if it could be reprogrammed for jumping more busses.

And what does he know about the related version of Dukes of Hazard?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Whoever designed the box for Stunt Cycle seriously screwed up.

From Atari2600.com: "Research was performed to determine the most plausible box design characteristics.  The box artwork is contemporary for the period of release.  The box layout and color treatment are based upon design characteristics of the first series full color Atari boxes.  Cartridge labels and Instruction manual continue the theme of authenticity."

Well, if this was true, and they were going for "authenticity," then the typeface on the color box would be Bauhaus, *not* Eras, which was the typeface used for the silver label boxes.

Basically, whoever designed the box and label used the silver label font instead of the color label font. Whoops. So much for "authenticity."

At least the cheesy illustration of the motorcycle and buses looks good.

[/i]

Whoever designed the box for Stunt Cycle seriously screwed up.

Well, if this was true, and they were going for "authenticity," then the typeface on the color box would be Bauhaus, *not* Eras, which was the typeface used for the silver label boxes.

Basically, whoever designed the box and label used the silver label font instead of the color label font. Whoops. So much for "authenticity."

[/i]

Ugh, you are right! Atari2600's plan to time travel and plant these reproductions along side Adventure will surely fail now! [/attempt at sarcasm]

Looks good to me, TunnelRunner! Tiny pic, though.

Hey, I know it's a small thing, but I'm a stickler for detail. Don't go to great lengths trying to make something look "authentic," make a big stink about "authenticity" ... and then screw something up as simple as the typeface.

As someone who specializes in typography, I know how important the correct typeface is -- especially on a consumer's subconcious level. Something about that Stunt Cycle box just didn't look quite right, now did it? But you couldn't put your finger on it.

Who knows, maybe they'll fix this in time for Philly Classic. Otherwise, count this as one of those wacky Atari label variations (like the lowercase Missile Command label, or the Othello all-CAPS black label).

FWIW, I agree with you, Adrian. Especially considering the bang-up job they did on capturing the look-and-feel of the Snow White, Holey Moley and Bugs Bunny releases, the Stunt Cycle one just doesn't look authentic. That won't stop me from trying to snag one, though.

The same goes for the RS Basketball release, although I don't remember if that was the same folks or not.

I agree with Adrian. Stunt Cycle is a 2K game, it needs as much appeal as it can get!!!

The box work on those titles Marc did were MUCH more authentic (Hi Marc! Whats up?) than the Stunt Cycle. I paid to buy Bauhaus back when I did Polo, just so I could have the correct look. The box "art" looks fantastic on SC, and the color scheme is right. The box and cart label font look wierd. Not wierd enough to keep me from wanting one, but still not right.

Cassidy

Wow... it's pretty amazing to see some of these comments. I thought I was the only person around who was so freakishly obsessed over things like font inconsistencies!

At any rate, I still think it's a nice job on the package, and pretty authentic to the time period other than the font.

Adrian's last comment got it right... just another quirky label variation! Besides, it's still a lot less weird than the one Star Ship label design Atari themselves released...

(On a tangent, I've always assumed that the lowercase picture labels on some Missile Command and Video Pinball carts stem from the fact that those were the first two games never to be released with a text label, and Atari hadn't quite finalized the new label style when they came out.)

@Xot

FYI: Bugs Bunny and Holey Moley were a contract job I did for Atari2600.com, SW & RSBB were done and released by myself (you can order both titles here at AtariAge:). The Stunt Cycle is NOT done by me (nevertheless I think it's a very nice box:).

Marc.

Sorry, my bad. Consider me educated! WhenI meant "they" I was referring to Atari2600.com, not any one individual.

So I guess I should say "nice job on the artwork!" to you!