IGNORED

AArknoid: Vertical lines or no?

Gemintronic

I vote for lines, but only if the enemies bounce around as they're supposed to I guess. Absolutely no other way around it? Maybe just haven't stumbled on a fix yet...

Well. The forbidden, secret third option is flickered vertical lines. Random Terrain almost had a seizure so I ONLY used flicker for the lines in this build. I'm wondering if people would find this to be a good compromise.

ADDED FLICKERING VERTICAL LINES OPTIONS AT TOP

• Like 1

Well. The forbidden, secret third option is flickered vertical lines. Random Terrain almost had a seizure so I ONLY used flicker for the lines in this build. I'm wondering if people would find this to be a good compromise.

ADDED FLICKERING VERTICAL LINES OPTIONS AT TOP

Wow! The lines look incredible - excellent effect, I can't even see the flicker - definitely go with that version! :)

I can see why RT had seisures over the other version ;)

Definitely needs lines, looks so much better and helps focus on what specific blocks you're aiming for

Edit - after just looking at all three, that flickering is horrible! Shame one thing has to be sacrificed for the other to work.

Edited by Fr0st

As you know I hate flicker :)

But could you maybe have each row of bricks wobble in the other direction per alternating frame?

(I hope you know what I mean).

Im aware that this requires tighter code in that one line space but maybe that would be nicer?

This kind of flicker being a 'global' side-to-side flicker is kinda disturbing IMHO.

IIRC there's actually 2 enemies at a time possible in Arkanoid, I'd prefer flickering enemies/powerups to the brick deliniation.

Once a few bricks have been cleared the lines become less important, and there's plenty of levels that have steps or shapes that make it clear as to the brick size as well.

On a static shot, it does look like another Breakout, but in a moving game once there's enemies and bonuses floating around it becomes pretty clear what game you're playing.

• Like 2

I completely agree with this:

Once a few bricks have been cleared the lines become less important, and there's plenty of levels that have steps or shapes that make it clear as to the brick size as well.

So my vote would be for no lines.

The trick will be the doing color changes necessary for the metal bricks.

That flicker hurt my eyes.

Here is your mission now. I would like to see you try another version where you alternate between two frames. First frame you draw the bricks. Second frame you draw the paddles, ball, and enemy.

This is a flicker utility I wrote for CAA. You can move a cursor around to change the background color. It gives you a quick idea of what combinations work colors to choose to minimize the flicker. In general on a dark background colors with low luminosity flicker less. On a bright background it is vice-versa.

FlickerTest.zip

Edit:

I forgot to say draw the bricks on the first frame with lines, of course!! ;)

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 2

That flicker hurt my eyes.

Here is your mission now. I would like to see you try another version where you alternate between two frames. First frame you draw the bricks. Second frame you draw the paddles, ball, and enemy.

This is a flicker utility I wrote for CAA. You can move a cursor around to change the background color. It gives you a quick idea of what combinations work colors to choose to minimize the flicker. In general on a dark background colors with low luminosity flicker less. On a bright background it is vice-versa.

attachicon.gifFlickerTest.zip

Edit:

I forgot to say draw the bricks on the first frame with lines, of course!! ;)

HOLY SWISS CHEESE AND HAM BATMAN!! That utility you whipped up is jawsome! I wish I had it back when I was making MMSBC II.

I'm a little slow so I am not altogether understanding the mission. Are you saying we should find out if drawing all the vertical lines half the time is better than half the lines all the time?

A weird idea just came to me... and it might just work:

Instead of doing lines and sacrificing the clarity and number of other objects like enemies/bonuses - how about just having the bricks themselves flicker?

Think chessboard pattern. Show the bricks which would correspond to "white" one frame, the "black" ones the next.

Since it's in that pattern, it should be less annoying and also produce a nice deliniation between the bricks.

Disadvantage of course will be that instead of just several objects flickering, it'll be potentially a couple of dozen.

I would drop the lines and focus on the gameplay, enemies, bonusses, multiball etc. By the way, the lines do not look evenly spaced, which make it harder to check for ball-block collisions?

Not so much. The vertical lines are just eye candy. The collisions are strictly missile/playfield. What about my latest example above? The wide bricks seem evenly spaced and allow all the things you're talkin' about.

It's probably a good idea to do brick/ball collision detection by calculation rather than collision register. You generally want the ball not to overlap the brick before bouncing off it.

I imagine the bricks would be simply kept in Ram as a bitmap + count of # remaining which should lend well to such a method.

Edited by Rybags

Like Rybags said, calculation will be better then register (assuming you check the register). Good physics/collision will create a better game.

Not so much. The vertical lines are just eye candy. The collisions are strictly missile/playfield. What about my latest example above? The wide bricks seem evenly spaced and allow all the things you're talkin' about.

I'm still processing it :D

It looks a bit oversized. The first one (nolines.bin) has the impression of a higher resolution due to more blocks and a smaller ball.

There was a bug in the flicker utility for the bottom row. Here is the fixed version:

FlickerTest_rev2.zip

HOLY SWISS CHEESE AND HAM BATMAN!! That utility you whipped up is jawsome! I wish I had it back when I was making MMSBC II.

I'm a little slow so I am not altogether understanding the mission. Are you saying we should find out if drawing all the vertical lines half the time is better than half the lines all the time?

I meant something like this:

post-7074-0-03037000-1395796524_thumb.png

post-7074-0-93015100-1395796534_thumb.png

post-7074-0-61085700-1395796551_thumb.png

Choose your colors carefully, so they don't flicker so much. I just threw these mock ups together in Paint, and it doesn't represent what the actual colors should be.

The important elements are that by alternating frames you can draw the bricks with lines, and draw an extra enemy or two. The borders don't have the color bleed from the blocks on them. I'm not sure if the ball can have an independent color, but I drew it black anyhow... :)