IGNORED

Installing JiffyDOS on a C128..presales question

eightbit

I am about to order JiffyDOS for the C128 and was reading the installation manual. Seems simple enough, provided the original ROMS are socketed. I have yet to open the C128 up, and really do not want to until I have to. My question is (maybe an easy one for C128 owners) is there a possibility that the roms are NOT socketed? Did anyone every see a C128 this way? Jiffy for the C128 is $35 plus shipping, and I'd hate to get it, crack the C128 open and find that I have the painful task of removing the mainboard and desoldering the chips. Not that I cannot do this, but I really am not looking forward to doing it again :)

That said, what are the chances that they are NOT socketed?

• Like 1

That is a cool device. However it appears most of the utilities revolve around floppy usage. I have ditched floppies a long time ago in favor of SD2IEC, and I currently use that with my C64 and fastload cart. It works wonderfully, and I want the speed on the C128. The thing is, the C128 is so deep that it sits in the area I have designated for it in my shelving to a point where there is not enough clearance to keep a cart in the unit :) Beside that, I have always been intrigued with JiffyDOS and always wanted to install it into one of these machines. We'll see how she goes. I ordered it a few days ago so it shouldn't be long now.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, it was socketed on the C128 thankfully. I received JiffyDOS kernel roms for the C128 from Retro Innovations early this week and was waiting for Friday night (tonight!) to get it going. Not bad at all. The entire installation took maybe 45 minutes at best. The longest part was disassemble and drilling for the switch. But, worked out great!

Edited by eightbit