IGNORED

Intellivision inbound. What problems can I expect?

MAC-42

I'm an Atari boy, as you can see from my signature. Grew up with a 2600 and later a 7800, always wanted an XEGS and a Lynx. I did get an Aquarius for Christmas when I was young, but that was that, really. I've never even seen an Intellivision in person before. Saw them on TV, of course. I've watched reviews over at Classic Game Room. Even played the games in emulation once or twice. It's always been a part of my awareness, but I just don't have any direct familiarity with it. For a while now, though, I've thought of picking one up, and the chance finally presented itself on eBay recently. Picked up an original version Intellivision with a nice stack of games. (And I didn't overpay for it!) Nothing that stands out too much, stuff like Night Stalker, Snafu, etc. The familiar things, from what I know of Intellivision games.

According to tracking, it should be arriving today. Now, it should be working just fine when I unpack it and hook it up. But I thought I'd ask you folks what common issues I might expect in terms of things that might be wrong with it if this is not the case. Any power issues, known problems with the controllers, thing like this. Also, an idea of how easy or hard it is to repair things would be helpful. I know enough about a soldering iron not to grab the wrong end of it...usually. :) I can handle a lot of basic repairs; I'm not a fan of desoldering and replacing whole ICs. (This reflects laziness, perhaps, more than a lack of ability.)

Anyway, any thoughts or advice on what I might expect would be appreciated. Thanks!

I hope you have good luck with your new Intellivision . I would say the most common problem is the matrix circuit in the controllers. If your controllers start acting up you may need to take them apart a clean them .if it is to bad you might need new matrix ciruits . Which do turn up from time to time on ebay . Search Intellivision repair on you tube there are a few videos on intellivision repair . Hope you like your new system

Thanks for the input. I own a 5200, so cleaning controllers (not to mention occasionally dismembering them) is just part of the weekly household chore routine for me. :) That doesn't sound too bad. I'm really looking forward to playing Night Stalker on this. Played it all the time on the Aquarius as a youth (and still do a bit today), but it really looks much nicer on the Intellivision.

• Like 1

Dirty cartridge edge connectors are sometimes a problem. Make sure that the cartridges' edge connector are moderately clean (don't need to be OCD clean). I just finished cleaning ~100 cartridges and even found old soda/pop on the edge connector (eeewwwwww.....). I find that it is rare that the console's connector needs cleaning (be careful if do clean it).

Also, if you plug in a cartridge, turn on the system, and you just see a blank screen, that is something that occasionally happens. First just tap the reset button. After that, just turn off the console, wiggle the cartridge a little, and turn it on again. I find things work best if the cartridge is not all the way in it can go. Being about 1/2mm to 1mm from all the way in works better. Do this a few times if necessary. Normally, none of this is necessary but I would like you not get discouraged if you see this on first boot. Then again, maybe my main console is finicky.

If you have done the above and you are still having problems, then it is more likely the console that has the issue.

• Like 1

You can expect some great fun, also until you put about 40 hours in you might hate the controls. They never bothered me but I was always told they should. :mad:

Again, thanks for the information, folks.

You can expect some great fun, also until you put about 40 hours in you might hate the controls. They never bothered me but I was always told they should. :mad:

Well, the Aquarius uses a cut-down version of the disk and number pad system. It's similar to the Intellivision's, only smaller. It's not my favorite control scheme, but it's not the worst. *Eyes his 7800 gamepad viciously*

If you own a 5200...not nearly as many. That aside, pick up Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Beauty and the Beast, Treasure of Tarmin, Burgertime, Diner, Dracula, Utopia, Tron Deadly Discs, Thundercastle, Shark! Shark!, Demon Attack, and Skiing to name a few you might not have with your bundle. For homebrews, check out Christmas Carol and DK II Arcade to see how far the hardware (and fun) can go.

Dirty cartridge edge connectors are sometimes a problem. Make sure that the cartridges' edge connector are moderately clean (don't need to be OCD clean). I just finished cleaning ~100 cartridges and even found old soda/pop on the edge connector (eeewwwwww.....). I find that it is rare that the console's connector needs cleaning (be careful if do clean it).

Also, if you plug in a cartridge, turn on the system, and you just see a blank screen, that is something that occasionally happens. First just tap the reset button. After that, just turn off the console, wiggle the cartridge a little, and turn it on again. I find things work best if the cartridge is not all the way in it can go. Being about 1/2mm to 1mm from all the way in works better. Do this a few times if necessary. Normally, none of this is necessary but I would like you not get discouraged if you see this on first boot. Then again, maybe my main console is finicky.

If you have done the above and you are still having problems, then it is more likely the console that has the issue.

Can i ask how and what you clean carts with?

It's here! Well, it's been here for several hours now, but I'm only just able to fool around with it. My wife's grandmother was in-state for what may be her last time. Priorities and all.

I find things work best if the cartridge is not all the way in it can go. Being about 1/2mm to 1mm from all the way in works better.

This seems to be the case with mine. I'm glad I asked now, as I would have just assumed that mine was a dead duck.

If you own a 5200...not nearly as many. That aside, pick up Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Beauty and the Beast, Treasure of Tarmin, Burgertime, Diner, Dracula, Utopia, Tron Deadly Discs, Thundercastle, Shark! Shark!, Demon Attack, and Skiing to name a few you might not have with your bundle. For homebrews, check out Christmas Carol and DK II Arcade to see how far the hardware (and fun) can go.

As I said, I've played a few of these on my Aquarius over the years and am very much looking forward to their Intellivision counterparts. I'm dying to try out Utopia on my elder daughter, so maybe the shiny newness of the Inty will entice her. I'm not sure how she really feels about the Aquarius.

Can i ask how and what you clean carts with?

For my part, I tend to swab the card edges with 90% isopropyl. At least I do with my other systems. So far, I haven't hurt the Intellivision or its goodies yet. Someone please stop me if I'm doing it wrong!