IGNORED

GBS-8220 to SGCPU or Geneve

acadiel

While I was goofing around making Christmas dinner, Google Photos 'assistant' made this little video for me. It is like it read my mind.

The parts that are overdriven and/or blurry are the fault of my cellphone camera. But you can see some of the artifacts that is apparent in Parsec.

https://goo.gl/photos/ToJNd3P1uDMRJ4918

-M@

Here is a short video of the output in MDOS 80 column and in GPL mode.

I zoom in on a few artifacts that I'm not sure who's fault they are...

video link: https://goo.gl/photos/8eDQpAt38YwU1fmf8

Here is the hardware. A little solder-breadboard that has the LM1881, 2 0.1uf caps, and a 680ohm resister. I also wired my DB9 harness to it ( for my monitor cable ) and the harness that came with the GBS8200. I used the power harness to steal power from the upscaler.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151225_121828.jpg

So, my little board is basically a $5 version of this Sync Strike product, without all the extra connectors. I got 5 of the LM1881 chips off ebay for $3.

sync strike: http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

And if you want a complete off the shelf solution: http://arcadeforge.net/SLG-in-a-Box/SLG-in-a-Box::71.html

I'm about to order the SLG3000 scan line generator because I think that will help clean up the appearance of PARSEC. When I figure out how to grab a frame some some video, I'll highlight what I'm talking about. Something is 'sharpening' the image in a way that cause a little bounce in side scrolling.

I noticed a few of the areas that you are referring. I have to say, even with these minor 'artifacts' what I'm seeing looks pretty awesome. The text video quality looks pretty good for static images.

I have one of the MP910 monitors for my Geneve but the clarity is not good enough for long programming sessions. I reverted to my Magnavox 8cm515 for those efforts. After seeing your video, I am even more interested in how far you can take this. :)

• Like 1

I noticed a few of the areas that you are referring. I have to say, even with these minor 'artifacts' what I'm seeing looks pretty awesome. The text video quality looks pretty good for static images.

I have one of the MP910 monitors for my Geneve but the clarity is not good enough for long programming sessions. I reverted to my Magnavox 8cm515 for those efforts. After seeing your video, I am even more interested in how far you can take this. :)

Hi,

which cable do you use from the Geneve to the MP910 ? Maybe you have a schematic for that ?

thx

I have one of the MP910 monitors for my Geneve but the clarity is not good enough for long programming sessions...

So, on the Geneve that must have been connected with simply the composite video?

I tried the composite input on my SEIKI TV with the Geneve (same TV my images with the scan-doubler are from), and it was unusable in 80 column mode. The big screen just scales up the blur :)

The SLG3000 is on order, hopefully it will not take forever. Meanwhile, I've turned scan lines on on my F18A TI console, to get used to them again. We'll see how the output compares.

yeah, I have the MP710 (and tons of cables & other monitors) but no chance to connect my Geneve at all...

don´t know/find about the right cable (yes I have all well-known schematics) :)

Same as described here, composite (on other monitor), but same blurred screen in 80col, not able to work.

40col works, somehow, but not very good on my TI-Color-Monitor

(hoover over the pics to see what is what)

post-41141-0-81252200-1451696553_thumb.jpg post-41141-0-25625600-1451696565_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-49777400-1451696572_thumb.jpg post-41141-0-00085900-1451696580_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-59406500-1451696590_thumb.jpg

Schmitzi, thanks for sharing those pictures. It was very interesting to see that you have the dark shadows to the left of your text as well. That makes me pretty happy with the GBS8200 output as it is.

After what I've done so far, I believe the sync-strike from arcadeforge should be sufficient for getting any 15khz RGB display to work with the Geneve's RGB output. Or as I have done, build my own with the same LM1881 chip that the sync-strike uses.

If you have displays that take SCART, you can also get/make SCART cables that have the LM1881 built into them. http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/composite-sync-stripper-lm1881/

So, on the Geneve that must have been connected with simply the composite video?

I tried the composite input on my SEIKI TV with the Geneve (same TV my images with the scan-doubler are from), and it was unusable in 80 column mode. The big screen just scales up the blur :)

Gazoo worked out a way to connect analog RGB via the SCART connector. The Samsumg MP 910 is the monitor he used/suggested.

Schmitzi, thanks for sharing those pictures. It was very interesting to see that you have the dark shadows to the left of your text as well. That makes me pretty happy with the GBS8200 output as it is.

After what I've done so far, I believe the sync-strike from arcadeforge should be sufficient for getting any 15khz RGB display to work with the Geneve's RGB output. Or as I have done, build my own with the same LM1881 chip that the sync-strike uses.

If you have displays that take SCART, you can also get/make SCART cables that have the LM1881 built into them. http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/composite-sync-stripper-lm1881/

I wonder if this little circuit would improve the configuration Gazoo had come up with.

This is the schematic for how I have wired everything between the Geneve and the GBS 8200 including how I wired audio.

The pinouts I used for the Geneve. The pinouts I used for RGBS over DB9 w/audio is close to consensus on the intertubewebs but I made up the audio part.

(I have updated the images to include the solder side perspective of the 8 pin din male connector, so I can get it right)

post-42954-0-84930800-1453263615_thumb.jpg

GeneveRGBtoVGA.pdf

All of the grounds are wired together :) I say this cause it doesn't look like what I think of as the standard ground symbol.

-M@

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...