IGNORED

More Fort Apocalypse, Please!

Bryan

I absolutely loved/love this game by Steve Hales. It had a really eerie feel to it with that blue chopper always hunting you, and it remains one of the most memorable games of my youth.

Anyway, Steve had said that he intended to make more levels for it but ran out of space. It would be fun to design levels for a "Return to Fort Apocalypse" game- especially if we could get Steve to consult on it. I just think there's so much more that could be done with the concept.

It ran in 16K didn't it?

Synapse were pretty impressive in that regard, many of their best games worked on 16K machines - it'd be interesting to expand on practically all of them - imagine the likes of Shamus, Nautilus with more levels.

Spelunker is another game that'd be great to have another world for - but the game mechanics are simplistic enough IMO that it'd probably be easier to just start from scratch there.

I found Fort to be bloody hard but was great to watch a good player go through the levels, great game. Now Spelunker is an all time favourite, played all the versions out there and found the Nes one to be my favourite, its one game I'd love to see have both a reboot and more levels on the Atari etc. Yes I've played Spelunky but its similar but not the same as Spelunker.

I'd also love a Jumpman update.....I wonder why Randy never finished his PC update?

If the author of the mod could be found, maybe it could be adapted if there's not extensive code changes.

Spelunker has had modern day releases, Spelunker HD for the PS3 was most recent although it was based on the NES version.

Didn't know about the PS3 or even the 3DS versions but the PS3 one looks lovely and 'seems' to follow the game rather than just being a graphical update..

Sadly no PC version :(

Well,

I already posted this in another topic - there is a Fort Apocalypse 2 for the C64, author is David Riehl. He made a "Basic Creator" for the new levels, see here:

http://www.videospielgeschichten.de/fortapocalypse2.html

you may use Google translate on this site:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=www.videospielgeschichten.de/fortapocalypse2.html

It would be absolutely great if someone could convert this Basic level Creator for the a8 and of course if someone could convert FA2 for the A8...

Here is the map for FA2:

post-3782-0-61259500-1396464235_thumb.png

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1