IGNORED

Wacky homebrew idea of the week!

maibock

I really enjoy tycoon type games - Transport Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon and the like. Has anyone ever attempted something remotely close to any of these games?

I fully understand the complexities of programming a game like this on a 2600, but it would simply rock! :D

I hate to besmirch the 2600, but I think this is one area where any attempt to do this would suck.

Seems that Utopia for the Intellivision was the first of this breed of games, and even then the 2600 couldn't have done it.

I DO think the FPS genre is one the 2600 could tackle, though!

Why do you think this? It can't be detailed oriented? or can't handle all the mathematical computations? or just not enough room?

Well, I think some of the programmers here could answer better than I could, but basically, the 2600 just can't really keep track of a lot of different information at once. It has very limited RAM, and its basic capabilities are really limited to controlling the state of 6 objects -- 2 players, 2 missiles, a ball, and the playfield.

Considering those extreme limitations, it's pretty amazing that programmers have found ways to make such complex games for the 2600, but I think "system" simulations like the tycoon games would just be impossible, since they involve a lot of data processing and tracking of the states of off-screen objects.

How about Pac-Man Tycoon?  :D

Huh... yeah, I met that guy at the arcade auction a couple weeks ago!

Sorry to hijack the thread... but it's a funny story. At these arcade auctions, you are encouraged to bring your own extension cord to plug in and test machines before the auction starts. So my companion at the auction brought his. We were hanging around, and they unloaded a SWEET Pac-Man machine from a truck. We followed it to its resting spot and plugged it in. Within seconds there was a swarm of people around checking it out, including this one guy who apparently buys up Pac-Man machines, fixes them, and resells them for a living. Anyway, he was spouting off his admittedly impressive amount of Pac-Man knowledge, but we were getting a bit annoyed because he and his cohorts had moved in and basically taken over the machine. So after a couple of minutes, I nudged my buddy, and he unplugged the machine, took his cord, and we walked away. :evil:

Anyway, he was spouting off his admittedly impressive amount of Pac-Man knowledge, but we were getting a bit annoyed because he and his cohorts had moved in and basically taken over the machine.  So after a couple of minutes, I nudged my buddy, and he unplugged the machine, took his cord, and we walked away. :evil:

:lol: :lolblue: :lol: You evil bastid. ;) :D

Along the same lines, how about a board game like Acquire? I know there was a c64 version that was very good...any chance of something like this for the 2600?? There isn't a heck of a lot to remember in the game, I think it could be possible, but I just don't know that much to be sure...