IGNORED

Indy 500 - specific controllers?

maibock

noob alert!! :ponder:

I've been trying to play this game using the regular paddles and the truning just doesn't seem right. We've tried the joystick controllers as well and it only turns in one direction :roll:

Are there specific controllers that need to be used for this game?

Are there specific controllers that need to be used for this game?

Yes! The Indy 500 (Sears Race) came packaged with a pair of driving controllers. They look like regular paddles with the exception that each one has its own plug unlike a pair of paddles which together share a plug. They have a pic of a race car on them. The "wheel" goes round and round. It is a digital switch which sends quadrature signals to the console (same tech as trakballs/ computer mice).

In 1977, the Indy 500 (Sears Race) package cost $39.99

A few modern Atari and Vectrex games are programmed to use these specialty controllers.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Ahhh ok.. explains that, thanks!

*adds another item to the ever growing want list for the Philly Classic*

If you can't find them there, let me know, I think I've got an extra pair (I'll have to look to confirm). You can have them for the price of the mailer and the shipping (I'm guessing around five bucks, I can find out later). But you'll probably be able to find a pair there.

noob alert!! :ponder:

Man, you are LUCKY you wrote that... I was getting ready to flame the hell out of you!

Just kidding... welcome! :D

I will, however, politely direct you to the "2600" link at the top of this page... this web site happens not only to have cool forums, but also is the repository of more information than you could possibly imagine about all things Atari 2600. The "Als" have really done a great job! :D :D 8)

Questions of the Indy 500 driving controllers and three dozen other ones you haven't even thought to ask yet are probably already contained in the AA archives!

The greatest thing about this game is Ice Racing :D

I love the two player tag .. or get the block.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Yes! Both of those rock! Last year I used to play this guy at work* in those and kick his @$$ on a regular basis.

*Yes, we had an Atari 2600 at the office. It was the best part of the job. I don't work there anymore, unfortunately. Now I just work with people who talk about Battlefield 1942 all the time and I just want to say, hey, how's about I kick yer blimey arse in a game of Warlords!!!

I would like to challenge any one of those young PS2 aces to a nice, simple game of Kaboom! :twisted:

I tried that, but when I had to play the "modern" game to entiice them, those 26 buttons on the controller confused the crap out of me.