IGNORED

Question re: Intellivision, Inc. carts

mojotv67

How likely is it that some Intellivision, Inc,. games came with the Mattel carts?

Of all the I.I. games I have, only Masters of the Universe has a Mattel colored cart. I'm wondering if it could have come that way or just that a previous owner put the colored cart in the I.I. box.

I think it's possible. Many Intellivision Inc games had white labels atop the Mattel ones. I have a Roulette, Sea Battle, Math Fun, maybe others that came this way. Then there is Backgammon, where the last 2 copies sold with Mattel carts included in them....although the white versions exist. Regarding MOTU, all of the versions I have seen included the white cart label, so I'd suspect yours was just altered after purchase, but who knows.

What Jason said. In my direct experience, I know from opening shrinkwrapped I.I. games most have the white labels, but the white label over existing Mattel label is also pretty common. Not positive about original labels showing up, but something tells me that it's happened as well.

I think the likelihood of the three possibilities is mostly based on popularity. Astrosmash most likely sold a lot better than Backgammon, for example. Ergo, the most popular games certainly eventually sold out and got the white label treatment. Low-volume games may never have gotten past getting a manual wrapped onto the back of a box once destined for foreign markets (Tron Solar Sailer?).

Edited by intvsteve

Then there is Backgammon, where the last 2 copies sold with Mattel carts included in them....although the white versions exist. Regarding MOTU, all of the versions I have seen included the white cart label, so I'd suspect yours was just altered after purchase, but who knows.

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a white label MOTU cart... for some of us just the box and manual is not enough! :-D Is $10 an OK price to pay for this?

I think it's possible. Many Intellivision Inc games had white labels atop the Mattel ones. I have a Roulette, Sea Battle, Math Fun, maybe others that came this way. Then there is Backgammon, where the last 2 copies sold with Mattel carts included in them....although the white versions exist. Regarding MOTU, all of the versions I have seen included the white cart label, so I'd suspect yours was just altered after purchase, but who knows.

I'll add that Skiing also is known to have a white label slapped on top of a colorful Mattel label.

I'll add that Skiing also is known to have a white label slapped on top of a colorful Mattel label.

Yeah! That one specifically comes to mind for me. IIRC that's the image I have on my site. Not sure if I ever bothered looking for one w/o the original underneath.

• 1 month later...

Many Intellivision Inc games had white labels atop the Mattel ones. I have a Roulette, Sea Battle, Math Fun, maybe others that came this way.

Ever since this thread, I have been meaning to upload some pics. I have been slowly going through my Intellivision Inc pile to check for more of these double-labeled carts.

If anyone has more of these and would like to trade/sell them, I'd be interested. I would also consider trades where I could give you a normal Intellivision Inc cart for one of these (so you don't have to fragment a CIB). Let me know! Here's my modest sub-collection:

Intellivision Inc double labeled carts

• Like 1