IGNORED

What's the deal with Putty Squad?

I spotted it for PS4 at Best Buy yesterday and I was like "What the hell is a Super Nintendo game doing on a retail PS4 disc?"

Then I came across these threads on NeoGAF-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758231

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723841&page=2

They seem to beat around the bush instead of blatantly coming out and saying what actually happened.

Was this a vaporware title for the Amiga that finally saw a release on current systems? If so, why did it take so long?

Was this a vaporware title for the Amiga that finally saw a release on current systems? If so, why did it take so long?

Not exactly vapourware, it was actually completed but the market wasn't felt to be there so it didn't get a full release. The new PS4 release is a remake for modern hardware (much in the same way Sega re-release Sonic once in a while) and a working copy of the Amiga code was recovered from a workdisk and made available as a free download last Christmas.

Some of the longer story about how System 3 said it was going to happen, changed their minds and dragged their heels until an enterprising Amiga coder stepped forward to actually make things happen is documented here.

Thank you for the information. Now I have a clearer understanding of what happened.

It's good that they care more about the fans by releasing it for free rather than making money on it.

We-ell... System 3 have a less than stellar reputation, so i suspect it ended up being free because they had to rely on Gandalf's services. If they'd done the work themselves it probably would've been shipped with the PS4 game only or something.