IGNORED

What will happen to your beloved Classic Computer when you die?

Would you hate to see your baby, your beloved classic computer end up in a thrift store, trash heap or broken up and sold on eBay? Can you think of any ideas to make it a 'Family Heirloom' to be passed down?

Would a detailed set of instructions for hookup and assembly be helpful? Would photos and instructions for operation in a binder be useful? Would a writeup on the computers history and what it meant to you help? Would a specific entry in your Will be useful?

After all the time energy and devotion you put into your favorite toy/hobby, any ideas on how to protect it after us old codgers are gone?

Thought about this from time to time. Since no one in the family is a classic computer buff (it's outdated hoarder material) I will just let it go to an estate sale or those 1-800-got-junk places. I've long given up on trying to make specific arrangements for all my classic electronics.

• Like 1

Either my children will realize the importance of these machines, or they will end up in a yard sale for $2 each...sold to some scavenger. Maybe a stipulation in my will could say something to the effect that they must keep them or no money :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

It would be up to my wife. She'd probably only keep a small portion of it and unload the rest of it on some collector friends of ours. My brother and sister might cherry pick a couple of things, but they probably won't be interested in most of it. And none of the rest of my family gives a shit about any of it (let alone ALL of it), so odds are it ends up among my wife and/or collector friends and/or siblings. Although, who knows, maybe somewhere down the line I'll have a nephew or niece who's really interested in what by then will be true electronic fossils...

Otherwise, I guess it would go in an estate sale or something. From whence it came...

The only other person in my family who likes retro-gaming is my 9yo daughter. She's taken quite an interest in my old machines but not to the extent she'd actually want to keep them. I'll leave everything to her as she does have a grasp of which bits are worth good money, so it'll raise some cash.

I reckon the only thing she'll keep is the tabletop Astro Wars game as she knows what it means to me (it was a gift from my Dad in '81) and she loves it too.

Regarding museums. I know someone who works as a curator at a museum of technology. He says they get so much stuff donated that they're really not interested unless it's super-rare. If the bequest comes with instructions (such as the collection is not to be split), they refuse it. If not, most of it ends up in storage or sold on.

• Like 2

Yeah, I understand some of you guys have a HUGE FRIGGIN COLLECTION of stuff, more than some people even have room for. Myself, I'm only interested in saving one little itty bitty TI system. But yeah, unless it goes up drastically in value in the next 20 years, nobody will want it. But I do know what I'm going to have on my tombstone, I've known since 1986...

"LOGGED OFF"

• Like 1

None of my family or friends enjoy old computers or video games like I do, so there isn't really anyone I could leave them to. 95% of my collection is housed at my business anyways, so I'd imagine that it would be liquidated should the business be sold.

Most of it would then show up on eBay where someone would attempt to get for twenty times more than what I paid for it. Because a boxed Commodore 64 is clearly worth $200+ ....

Personally my plan is stipulate someone who will sell it for fair market value, and give the money to my wife if I am gone before she is. If not, than the money would go to my family. After all, I'm dead! And I'm pretty sure the Good Lord won't let me take my Atari through the Pearly Gates.

(But it'd be rad if He did)

• Like 1

I just checked with all family members and immediate relatives these past few days. I got the universal answer of it's going to the junk heap. Most of them are involved with their businesses and hobbies and don't want to be bothered saving any of this crap.

So that means over 1 full garage-sized-room worth of Apple 2 material are going 2-meters under when I kick the bucket. Meantime I'll keep looking from time to time for a place to send it to that can make use of it.

I'll probably sell or give most of mine away before then since I'm already planning on downsizing, but I told my brother to make a posting on Craigslist for whatever remains.
We both talked about a "for when I die" list so that we each know what to sell any rare stuff for.
Anything else will go to an estate sale or the dump.

I'll probably sell or give most of mine away before then since I'm already planning on downsizing, but I told my brother to make a posting on Craigslist for whatever remains.

We both talked about a "for when I die" list so that we each know what to sell any rare stuff for.

Anything else will go to an estate sale or the dump.

Send the coco stuff my way please :D