IGNORED

Replacement optical rotary encoder

thecrypticodor

It wouldn't surprise me if this has been discussed here before ad nauseum. A google search on this subject has yeiled me no viable solution. I have a few dead wheels with bad encoders that I would really like to resurrect. So does there exist a suitable optical rotary encoder replacement for the expansion module 2?

Edited by thecrypticodor

Same here.. I also have a dead steering wheel but a good pedal. :(

Hmm.. eColeco.com would be the best place I can think of but I didn't see any on their site.. Then again I wasn't looking real hard for that particular item.

I did order a couple Cart Edge Connectors from them a couple days ago though and thankfully they still have them.. thats only place I could find that sells such an item, now I can save a CV board I have.

I'd love to find a couple optical decoders though! lol

I once opened up the casing of a steering wheel (it was already non-functional so no real harm done) and the electronics inside seemed rather cheap to me. So my question is: Would it be possible to create a new PCB that could replace the original one inside the EM#2? The idea is that with a new PCB, a different optical assembly could be used, one that uses electronic components that are available today. It's essentially the same idea as what 5-11under is doing with his CV console replacement PCB. The wheel could even use a different system for motion recording that doesn't actually involve optical sensors and decoders, and one could even build the PCB to be powered via a generic power supply rather than 4 "C" batteries.

Think of all the broken EM#2s that could be revived this way! The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a neat project! :D

• Like 1

I once opened up the casing of a steering wheel (it was already non-functional so no real harm done) and the electronics inside seemed rather cheap to me. So my question is: Would it be possible to create a new PCB that could replace the original one inside the EM#2? The idea is that with a new PCB, a different optical assembly could be used, one that uses electronic components that are available today. It's essentially the same idea as what 5-11under is doing with his CV console replacement PCB. The wheel could even use a different system for motion recording that doesn't actually involve optical sensors and decoders, and one could even build the PCB to be powered via a generic power supply rather than 4 "C" batteries.

Think of all the broken EM#2s that could be revived this way! The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a neat project! :D

That'd be a bit overkill IMO. There's not a lot of components involved in the original PCB and completely rebuilding them would be simple if one could get their hands on a replacement encoder. If you want to run it off a ac adapter you could always just stick a 7806 in it and run it off something like a 9-12v adapter.

Edited by thecrypticodor

Anyone have a part number on that encoder?

Maybe there is something close out there, that could be used to adapt to this. The original part would be ideal but I haven't yet looked into searching for one..

I have lots more on my plate at the moment but this would be cool to fix as well. ;)

There are a number of threads asking for help with the EM2 and Roller Controller repairs and you can find them all by searching for "optical sensor" at the main CV&ADAM Forum page. It's not always the optical sensor(s) that are at fault as you will find by reading thru the threads.

As far as alternative power options for the EM2, Yurkie's mod that uses a Roller Controller power adapter cord is easily the best one that I have ever seen. The one drawback is that you have to raid a RC for this unique cable.

BTW, no replacement optical sensors have ever been found.

Edited by NIAD

There are a number of threads asking for help with the EM2 and Roller Controller repairs and you can find them all by searching for "optical sensor" at the main CV&ADAM Forum page. It's not always the optical sensor(s) that are at fault as you will find by reading thru the threads.

BTW, no replacement optical sensors have ever been found.

Sadly in my case it is the sensor. I checked and ruled out the other components. I have read the previous postings on the subject, and there's nothing really there that's of any real help. It makes me cringe at the thought of having to have to throw them away. Yet It's hard to justify keeping them if I can't restore their functionality. :(

Yeah!!!! While we are at it, let's add in force feedback and a rumble pack!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

• Like 1

Yet It's hard to justify keeping them if I can't restore their functionality. :(

That's thesad thng about defective retro gear like the EM2... no one seems willing to take them in for the sake of mixing and matching parts to make working units because the small investment of money to cover shipping costs as well as the time required to test, repair, retest and then sell would probably end up being a losing proposition since they are only worth between $20-$30 loose. One would probably have to sit on them for a good number of years to see if prices ever started to trend upwards due to the rarity of working units, but then storage space would be needed as well.

Edited by NIAD

That's thesad thng about defective retro gear like the EM2... no one seems willing to take them in for the sake of mixing and matching parts to make working units because the small investment of money to cover shipping costs as well as the time required to test, repair, retest and then sell would probably end up being a losing proposition since they are only worth between $20-$30 loose. One would probably have to sit on them for a good number of years to see if prices ever started to trend upwards due to the rarity of working units, but then storage space would be needed as well.

And of course, even if you somehow manage to "mix and match parts" to get a working unit, how long do you think said unit is going to last? In the EM#2's case, the optical sensor could go bye-bye a week later!

That was the whole point of my intervention in post #3 above: Creating a more modern piece of electronics that fits inside the EM#2 casing is the proper solution to this issue. The challenge here is the plastic steering wheel component, because whatever electronic solution is devised needs to take the wheel's special shape into consideration. So a project like this certainly wouldn't be easy to pull off.

EDIT: Here are a few pictures below to illustrate.

post-7743-0-63414800-1397366977_thumb.jpg

post-7743-0-50706600-1397366993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so in the last picture the black part with the 10k on it.

that's actually photo sensor and then a photo diode. 2 of each inside because

it's a dual encoder wheel (2 rows of notches)

the black cover should actually come off and then you can expose the 4 parts inside.

it may be epoxied inside but usually not.

for the year that was very high tech, and infra red technology is still widely used today.

mouser.com has all these components. but without knowing what value they are using

it's kind of hit and miss on which to order.

Edited by mightywiz