IGNORED

Interactive Fiction Competition?

Vorticon

Vorticon, it is not possible for me to evaluate Eons. It is obvious that you invested a lot of work and time in the program and it looks interesting and like it might be fun. But I've only been able to have two commands recognized and acted on. Then I'm dead and have to start over. The docs for Infocom and Scott Adams gave examples of what the parser was looking for and how to interact with the adventure. If you could provide something like that I think there could be a lot of folks who might get interested in Eons.

The parser accepts natural language, as well as 2 word commands (verb,object) if it makes sense.

Here are a couple of hints to get you started:

OPEN EYES is the first action so you can see your surroundings

HIDE BEHIND (THE) ROCK should be the next one in order to hide from the T Rex. Let's put you in that situation: you wake up in a strange environment, and you have that awful sound coming out from somewhere in the forest. You have a large rock next to you, and I assumed that the average person's first instinct would be to find a place to hide until things become clearer :grin: Perhaps I assumed too much? By the way, HIDE ROCK will not work because it is ambiguous, which is why I recommend using only natural sentences to make sure your instructions are fully recognized.

Hopefully this sets you off in the right direction. Also remember to check out as much detail as you can. You might die in the process but you might also learn something important...

• 1 month later...

If I may ramble for a second here, I have the distinct impression that programming activity on this forum has very sharply declined overall compared a just a few years ago when we had 2 very successful contests with amazing games created like Aperture for example, despite the fact that now we have very impressive tools like Harry's compilers and 2 flavors of Forth to work with. Rasmus' achievements of late have been astounding and few of us can match his coding virtuosity, but we don't have to. He is after all one person, and I miss the diversity of programs that were constantly popping up on this site. Now most of the posts are hardware related or just totally tangential, and this forum is at great risk of degenerating into yet another Yahoo forum...

Yes. Absolutely.

Yes. Absolutely.

I completely disagree. This is perhaps the most exciting time I've experienced in the TI world in about 12 years. At that time (2002) things were winding down and coming to a standstill, and there have been only little spurts and blurbs of activity here and there since then. The past 6 months or so have been a whirlwind of activity and excitement, and I've got the TI adrenalin pulsing through my veins again.

These new carts with all this space... and no one else taking advantage of the possibilities. What's up with that? Is it that everybody is afraid of the technology, can't be bothered to learn how to use it (maybe you actually have to spend a little time reading some documentation?), or something else?

I'm even going to do my best to get to Chicago this year, as difficult as it will be.

It's interesting how different people perceive what's going on in the community...

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

I completely disagree. This is perhaps the most exciting time I've experienced in the TI world in about 12 years. At that time (2002) things were winding down and coming to a standstill, and there have been only little spurts and blurbs of activity here and there since then. The past 6 months or so have been a whirlwind of activity and excitement, and I've got the TI adrenalin pulsing through my veins again.

These new carts with all this space... and no one else taking advantage of the possibilities. What's up with that? Is it that everybody is afraid of the technology, can't be bothered to learn how to use it (maybe you actually have to spend a little time reading some documentation?), or something else?

I'm even going to do my best to get to Chicago this year, as difficult as it will be.

It's interesting how different people perceive what's going on in the community...

Gazoo

Perhaps we can discuss this in Chicago over a beer :)

I completely disagree. This is perhaps the most exciting time I've experienced in the TI world in about 12 years.

Got my 4A in 1982 and skipped it only a few years later. Mini Memory, 32K standalone and a joystick adapter made my day. Some local exchange and friends.

Came back in 2004 and prior to AtariAge I made more than 100 demos and games.

To me the really exciting times started with the launch here on AtariAge. There was a lot of enthusiasm, ideas, and I guess "handcrafting" ;) using Extended Basic and Assembler.

I'm not saying things do not seem to also flourish these days, it's just not the same game.

These new carts with all this space... and no one else taking advantage of the possibilities. What's up with that?

I think that's great. But not something I'm directly involved in on a hardware level.

I hope to support your efforts (into new carts) with a few demos and games in a not so distant future.

:)

Please do try to make it to Chicago, Tony--it will give me a nice chance to sit down and have a brew with the guy who's done the most with these new toys I've created (and that counts making excellent use of the fantastic GROM code from Tursi too). . .

Well, I took the first step today and managed to get Friday and Monday off work, now I need to find a really really cheap room for Friday & Saturday nights. I stayed at the Motel 6 the last several times I was there for about $60 a night. Hopefully I can find a similar deal. Feel free to make suggestions anyone.

Gazoo

Vorticon, it is not possible for me to evaluate Eons. It is obvious that you invested a lot of work and time in the program and it looks interesting and like it might be fun. But I've only been able to have two commands recognized and acted on. Then I'm dead and have to start over. The docs for Infocom and Scott Adams gave examples of what the parser was looking for and how to interact with the adventure. If you could provide something like that I think there could be a lot of folks who might get interested in Eons.

Yea I got past the first 2 commands as well but can't seem to figure out what the game wants now. Seems cool tho ;)

Yea I got past the first 2 commands as well but can't seem to figure out what the game wants now. Seems cool tho ;)

This seems to be a very common tale unfortunately... I actually got stuck a couple of times myself, and I programmed the damn thing!

Here's a walkthrough of EONS. It will demonstrate what the parser expects, and if you prefer to still play the game, then just watch the first few minutes only then give it a try :)

http://youtu.be/PUGmN0PjwLM

• Like 1