IGNORED

Enterprise in Star Raiders II - Timeclock - help needed

Hello together!

Back in the 80's I saw in "The Last Starfighter" or "Star Raiders II" this picture:

post-32599-0-26417200-1397776071_thumb.png

But it is just a picture! I would like to make an animated GIF of the whole scene like this here:

post-32599-0-35295800-1397778208_thumb.gif

It is from Atari Space Invaders the mothership take away scene, if your kill ratio is too high... ;-)

Something around level 8 I guess.

Below, there is a description of the easter egg (hey, we are close to Easter! :-), where a clock timer is mentioned. Does anyone know which value has to be changed in a debugger (minus 5 sec.) before the jump to the sun for recharging? Would be really cool. :-)

Thank you very much in advance and Happy Easter! :-)

THE LAST STARFIGHTER

· EASTER EGG: Programmers Gary Stark and Bruce Poehlman admit to putting a few hidden extras in the game, but they don’t recall how to trigger them. One that’s been seen is the Starship Enterprise will sometimes make a brief appearance (by the sun) when recharging. There is a clock timer, and if this timer is $00 or $80 at the right moment of recharging, the Enterprise will appear (picture #1). Unfortunately the timer clocks rather slow (from $00 to $FF) so it's very unlikely you will see this effect without cheating (the odds are 1 in 128), as there doesn’t appear to be a method to either resetting or resetting the timer in the code. The graphics for the Enterprise are stored in the Atari 8-bit version at $3A40-$3A42 (bytes $E7, $12, $1C).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally, it was solved by JAC! at the Fujiama 2015:

First, I have to correct myself, it is not in Star Raiders II, but in The Last Starfighter. Maybe in Star Raiders II too, but I didn't tested it.

Just one byte has to be altered:

post-32599-0-91039700-1439930048_thumb.png

Please see for yourself:

The old version:

The Last Starfighter.car.zip

The new version:

The Last Starfighter-NCC-1701.car.zip

Every time, you jump to the sun and recharge, the Enterprise salutes you in a loop. So, the longer you stay, the more NCC-1701s you will see. :-)))

Thank you so much JAC! for this solution, we really are in your debt.

One X-file less. :-)))

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1

:-)

Yeah, that is a good idea, JAC! programs a time machine for us, to bring us 'home' to the good old Atari times with our techniques of today. :-)))

Maybe, we should rise a topic called 'Atari Secret' or 'Atari X-Files', were we collect all problems unsolved for at least a decade? Just loud thinking... ;-)

ClausB, that was a conspiracy between JAC! and me. ;-)

We hoped, that you get the point and bring us the Klingon Battle Cruiser while altering these bytes from post #1:

'

The graphics for the Enterprise are stored in the Atari 8-bit version at $3A40-$3A42 (bytes $E7, $12, $1C).

'

;-) just kidding...

Well that is easy, here:

post-32599-0-12413000-1440024839.jpg

we have an original klingon battlecruiser, so I have adapted him to fit in the game:

post-32599-0-50210300-1440024884.jpg

so it is quite the same. Only with sharp eyes, one can see differences.

Since both are missiles, as JAC! found out, we now can generate a new game, where both 'missiles' met each other...

Further, I have a dream of a Star Raiders game with 6 screens, real 3D feeling...

Why doesn't Warren B. donate such a thing? Just loud thinking... ;-)

Edited by luckybuck
  • Like 1