IGNORED

The Jeff Minter Collection Jag CD

Paul Westphal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is the ebay listing that Paul is talking about-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310935003742

I say we report it as copyright infringement. However, since ebay gets a cut of the sale, I highly doubt it will be taken down.

The only way it will get taken down is if Jeff Minter himself has it taken down.

That item was sold and then re-listed again and sold. He has no negative reviews either...

Yeah, I don't like The Laird either, he pisses me off everytime I see him around the web. I have done some jagcds, but only for free for the jag community. He is into ripping off other people's work and then trying to sell it on ebay for money such is laird. Like for instance the jeff minter demos in his ebay description(from other post in this thread: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310935003742) he mentions glenn bruner released the source code for jeffs demos but they were memory mapped to the proto jags which is different than our released jags. Then he makes it sound like he is the one who very easily converted the binary to run on everyone's released jaguars, in saying, "Fortunately it wasn't too hard to figure out the necessary changes to source", which Matthias did, not him but didn't even mention Matthias and also taking credit for Matthias's work in putting them on cd once the binaries were running from source, as well. What a jerk.

This auction is for The Jeff Minter demo collection for the Atari Jaguar CD. It comes boxed as new.

From late 1991 to early 1992 Jeff Minter wrote several small demo-programs for the Atari Jaguar, later Atari used some of them in advertising movies to promote the Jaguar. In November 2007 Glenn Bruner released a source code archive containing the original sources, but unfortunately the released programs don't work on the retail console because they were written for Jaguar-prototypes with a different memory map. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to figure out the necessary changes to the source code, so we all can now enjoy the great demos Jeff Minter wrote on our beloved Jaguar-console. This Jaguar CD compilation includes all these demos as well as the unreleased soundtrack CD for Jeff’s Jaguar game Defender 2000. Composed by the Imagitec Design Audio Studio this was made for a CD version of the game that never came out and would have also been released commercially like the Tempest 2000 soundtrack was.

Jeffs Demos are freely available for anyone in CD version in case they can't deal with binaries over at Matthias's site at: mdgames(dot)de

Below is the Public Domain Mandlebrot demo too, that he was selling which is freely available on the net by searching and can be put on cd with reboots Jiffi tool, at their site.

The latest thing, is that Laird is acting like he is the public relations director with other people's work that's not even finished yet! lol. Talking about the latest work of rush6432(Jeff) & Jag_Slave -the Stormworks Interactive guys, who did the BlackOut! cart game here then left after being "disgracefully hounded out of AA" he says on

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3392.

So now they are over at:

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php

-doing the conversion of putting the shareware or freeware version of Doom style "Heretic" on the Jaguar and laird is playtesting it and being all strict in saying: "The Jaguar version will be sold "not for profit" at cost price only, to meet the terms of this agreement. It will only be made in limited numbers and only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum." "You can't see the whole forum anyway until you have 50 posts. As for trusted, that would just be down to the Stormworks guys who they trust. There are an awful lot of bad eggs in the Jaguar community unfortunately."

and he says the same thing on the Heretic youtube video here:
youtube.com/watch?v=kwHHSXWfQdQ
"It won't be going on general sale, it will only be available to trusted members of Retro Video Gamer forum." lol.
Well anyways he says the stormworks guys will be making the decision as to who gets a copy of Jag Heretic and who doesn't but to me it's a limited release for the select few and I wouldn't be surprised if laird has input recommendations as to if a copy should be sold to which individuals. He just sux, man.
Here are some more videos of Rush6432's work on Heretic Jaguar version:
He says: "There will be a limited, official, release of the game over at:
But don't expect to be able to see the thread unless you have 50 or more posts there.

Mandelbrot Demo (19xx)(-)(PD).bin

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...

No, and if you read my post above? you'd know nobody here has it or will have it, unfortunately,.... they - the Stormworks Interactive guys (rush6432) are hoarding it for themselves and, "The Laird."

"It won't be going on general sale, it will only be available to trusted members of Retro Video Gamer forum." lol.

So you'd have to be a trusted member of that forum, and I don't think it's done yet or they might be boasting and teasing us on youtube with it, at least the laird would be, prolly.

Well anyways he says the stormworks guys will be making the decision as to who gets a copy of Jag Heretic and who doesn't but to me it's a limited release for the select few and I wouldn't be surprised if laird has input recommendations as to if a copy should be sold to which individuals.

It's still someone else's copyrighted material. I wouldn't be surprised if the T&Cs of use state that you cannot reverse engineer or modify etc etc or produce your own works from their stuff. Shareware isn't open source. I think whilst the Doom engine is available to use for 'free', the WADs etc and other assets still retain their restrictions, even the shareware releases.

If they released the engine with a tool to patch your own .WAD to the end and make a .ROM that would probably be ok. If they try to monetize it... that's when it gets sticky.

Anyway, it's not worth the trouble of dealing with EmoRage DramaBoyz, if you want to play it so badly play it under DOSBOX.

It's still someone else's copyrighted material. I wouldn't be surprised if the T&Cs of use state that you cannot reverse engineer or modify etc etc or produce your own works from their stuff. Shareware isn't open source. I think whilst the Doom engine is available to use for 'free', the WADs etc and other assets still retain their restrictions, even the shareware releases.

You're right, but the fact is it's old software being ported to an obscure platform, I doubt anyone would really care (look at shareware DOOM being ported to countless devices without issue, or the shareware Wolfenstein 3D on the Genesis and 32X). Again, you are right and the risk is always there, but I personally think if it's just the shareware version and they don't charge for it, it'll fly under the radar of anyone that may normally care.

You're right, but the fact is it's old software being ported to an obscure platform, I doubt anyone would really care (look at shareware DOOM being ported to countless devices without issue, or the shareware Wolfenstein 3D on the Genesis and 32X). Again, you are right and the risk is always there, but I personally think if it's just the shareware version and they don't charge for it, it'll fly under the radar of anyone that may normally care.

Old software I don't think matters, look at the recent CaD that was issued (I believe) for the port of the ST version of Frontier to the Jag. That's even older software that sold even fewer units in its day, they still cared. It's down to the copyright owner ultimately some won't give 2 hoots, some will think its cool.. others will simply say NO! As CJ said, if you want to play Heretic you can probably buy a legit DOSBOX version from www.gog.com and be having 100% legal full blown all the features fun in a few minutes, even if your PC isn't a super gaming rig.

Old software I don't think matters, look at the recent CaD that was issued (I believe) for the port of the ST version of Frontier to the Jag. That's even older software that sold even fewer units in its day, they still cared. It's down to the copyright owner ultimately some won't give 2 hoots, some will think its cool.. others will simply say NO! As CJ said, if you want to play Heretic you can probably buy a legit DOSBOX version from www.gog.com and be having 100% legal full blown all the features fun in a few minutes, even if your PC isn't a super gaming rig.

Like I said in my previous post, you are right, and it's a gamble (re: the risk is there).

• Like 1