IGNORED

INTV Best Game of All Times - Round 2 - Best Developer

vprette

Vote the best developer for INTV  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred developer?

• Imagic (Dracula, Demon Attack, etc)
    • Mattel (Burgertime, NFL Football, AD&D, etc)
    • Intv (Thundercastle, Tower of Doom, etc)
    • Coleco (Mouse trap, Lady Bug)
    • Parker (Frogger, Qbert, etc)
    • Activision (Pitfall, River Raid, etc)
    • Interphase
    • Sega
    • Atarisoft (Pac man, Centipede, Defender)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

After first round, we can focus on the brands, comparing how many hits for each one went to round 2.

Not easy choice since Mattel has of corse many more titles of any other, but Imagic, Intv and Activision releases are of very high level...

see what you think

brands (% of titles placed on round 2):

Imagic 14%

Mattel 42%

Intv 26%

Coleco/CBS 2%

Parker 4%

Activision 12%

Interphase 0

Sega 0

Atarisoft 0

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1

Had to go Mattel. Not only did they create some great ports in Burgertime and Bump and Jump, but they also created some fantastic original games like the AD&D games. Their sports titles crushed the Atari versions. Other than a few bombs (Vectron, Space Hawk) most of the titles were fun and entertaining.

Special consideration to Imagic for making fun, original games. Most of their titles are consistently fun to play and, in my opinion, not a bad game in the lot (although, Fathom still escapes me but it would probably help if I read the darn manual).

This is a terribly difficult decision for me! I absolutely adored Imagic, as they were the first third-party for Intellivision IIRC, and the only "miss" in their library, IMO, is Fathom. That one seemed to be a 'LCD' game (Least Common Denominator). I.e. only do stuff we can do on all the platforms, prettier graphics notwithstanding. If you look at their debut titles (Atlantis and Demon Attack) they really tailored the games to the platform. Dragonfire was also somewhat LCD, though wasn't the archer an extra for the Intellivision?

Activision also had a high quality library. Though small, over half their library is truly outstanding - Dreadnaught, Beamrider, Worm Whomper and River Raid are great! Stampede and Pitfall were a touch too loyal to their VCS counterparts. Happy Trails was also quite good, though a copycat game.

Of course INTV Corp... Granted, many of "their" releases were actually from Mattel, but the later ones -- WOW! They really showed you could push the console into new territory.

And then the original, Mattel, though thanks to all the wonderful indepth interviews on the Intellivisionaries podcasts, it's clear that APh was HUGE and really cleared the path for Mattel.

Yeah, this one's tough. It's been bubbling away in the back of my brain all day who to pick, and I still can't choose. Too many fond, nostalgic memories entwined to make a rational decision here. Gotta sleep on it.

• Like 1

I'm an accountant so this came down to sheer #'s. I voted Mattel on strength of some of my favorites (Sea Battle, Baseball, Utopia, AD&D, Soccer/Hockey/Other Sports, Shark Shark, Snafu, etc. etc.). After that my 2nd choice would have been INTV (21/22-games) over Imagic (14-games) by a small margin. None of the others really matched these top 3 IMO based on sheer volume/quality. Honorable mention to Activision which never had opportunity to develop more than 7 games.

• 3 weeks later...