IGNORED

Modding a Genesis game pad

DesertJets

So I have had it about up to here with my Prolines, from the cruddy ergonomics to the non-responsiveness, that I need a better solution for my 2-button 7800 gaming. I think for me that is modding a Genny pad to work as a 2-button controller for the 7800.

Does anyone have an easy DIY guide for wiring up a Genny pad. Bear in mind my DIY electronics skill extends as far as knowing which end of the soldering iron to use.

Found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQbokBHvQXA in that case for a NES pad. Ugh looks way more complicated than I thought.

Edited by DesertJets

Funny you folks should mention this. I've been using guides from over here to make adapters. This linked page gives you a variety of adapters that allow the Genesis pad to work with two buttons on the 7800, and you don't have to open up or hack up the Genesis pad to do it. I'm actually in the middle of assembling the one on the bottom of that page. I, too, have poor electronics skills, but it's been a simple solder job so far. So far, I've built the adapter that lets you use a Sega light phaser in place of an Atari XG-1, and it works well. After the Genesis adapter, I plan on building the digital-to-analog adapter for the 5200.

Edited by MAC-42
  • Like 1

Also if your interested in an arcade stick instead of a gamepad, making your own using an arcade stick and cherry switch buttons is easy as pie if you use the proline's harness. You don't even need to solder anything, but use crimp connectors. :)

• Like 1

Also if your interested in an arcade stick instead of a gamepad, making your own using an arcade stick and cherry switch buttons is easy as pie if you use the proline's harness. You don't even need to solder anything, but use crimp connectors. :)

That's my down-the-road project. I'm planning on building a MAME unit next month and plan on picking up extra buttons and a joystick. A good idea, this.

Funny you folks should mention this. I've been using guides from over here to make adapters. This linked page gives you a variety of adapters that allow the Genesis pad to work with two buttons on the 7800, and you don't have to open up or hack up the Genesis pad to do it. I'm actually in the middle of assembling the one on the bottom of that page. I, too, have poor electronics skills, but it's been a simple solder job so far. So far, I've built the adapter that lets you use a Sega light phaser in place of an Atari XG-1, and it works well. After the Genesis adapter, I plan on building the digital-to-analog adapter for the 5200.

This looks interesting and thanks for posting it. One question -- what did you use for the connectors -- the one that plugs into the 7800 and the one that accepts the Genesis plug?

One question -- what did you use for the connectors -- the one that plugs into the 7800 and the one that accepts the Genesis plug?

You're very welcome. I picked up male and female DB9 connectors from these folks. You can pick them up around the internet pretty readily if you want to purchase from somewhere else, and I'm sure you can pick them up very cheaply directly from China. You plug the Genesis controller into the male DB9 and connect to the Atari with a female one, of course.

That's a neat little site, the project site. Lots of neat things that are (mostly) not too hard to put together for a variety of systems. The Jaguar controller adapter is...astonishing. I'd love it, but I'm in no hurry.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is all making me feel quite daft -- or this is why I ended up not studying engineering in college (that and I nearly failed calculus in high school). I had assumed, maybe incorrectly, that I could take a cable from a proline and wire it up into the Genny pad somehow. :? Maybe I need an image or 5 of the finished product for it to all make sense.

I had assumed, maybe incorrectly, that I could take a cable from a proline and wire it up into the Genny pad somehow.

You may be able to, along the lines of the NES gamepad conversion. I've never seen any such plans before, though. I like this one because I don't have to maul my daughter's controller in order to make it work with the 7800. It should be usable with the 7800 and also preserve its natural functionality.

I'll scrape up some free time tonight to finish my adapter and post pictures. I think the 7404 chip is all ready to go, and the only thing I should have left to do is to solder the wires down to the DB9 connectors.