IGNORED

Atlantis stinks (?)

Mind Master

...sorry for the abrasive subject line, but I have to get something off my chest that's been simmering for 20 years now...

I've never understood how Atlantis is fun. Can someone explain the appeal of this game to me? My complaint is the wimpy firepower at the player's disposal. You can't guide the missiles, you can't even move! You're stuck with three cannons in fixed positions. Even Air-Sea Battle gives you more offensive flexibility. It feels like you're fighting the aliens with one hand tied behind your back.

Am I missing something about this game? Because I understand it's pretty popular...

Yeah this game definitely rocks! The frantic pace when those little planes are zippy by, is exilarating!

I just noticed that you get more points when you hit a plane from the left or right cannons - Do you guys use those exsclusively? or will you go to the middle cannon?

I gotta get Atlantis 2!

yea its the not the best thing since sliced bread, but it is good. Of course, I -NEVER- played the 2600 once I had the intellivision version with its cool spotlights and the ufo you control. what a great enhancement. So was inty Atlantis the first game with light sourcing? :-)

Wow! Lots of backlash against Atlantis :)

I personally think it's a great title - one of my top 15 for Atari and a game I can play for hours. This, Cosmic Arc, Dragonfire and Laser Gates are the crowning achievements of Imagic - all are well crafted games. I guess I like the repetative gameplay (aren't many of the Atari games that way - repetative, but very very fun). I don't see Cosmic Arc or DragonFire being any less repetative (except that they have 2 alternating repetative screens -- though Laser Gates has a more variety).

And once the pace picks up (doesn't take long) it gets pretty intense.