IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

OK, sort of good news. I was told that since testing and debugging is still going on, meaning that there may still need to be a change or two (however unlikely), they'd rather not release the list as of yet, but I can talk about a few of the bigger titles on there. I can say there are 10 homebrews on there, and one hack of a game to work with the regular controller. The rest are a nice mix of the first and third party stuff (including a lot of stuff that you've seen from Telegames at one point or another). Within reason, if you really want to know about a major title or two, under those guidelines, I can probably reveal it. Let's try to keep it within reason though so as not to take advantage of AtGames's good will in letting us pull back a bit of the behind-the-scenes curtain. They'll obviously let the list be released once they're satisfied everything has been tested to 100% satisfaction.

• Like 5

Cheapy?

To me those games are cheaper filler than licensing/using an original retail title (or an unreleased/finished prototype). I've felt the same way on previous products.

Excluding the SG-1000/MSX conversions, I'm struggling to recall 10 homebrew titles on par with an original retail game. Ghost Blaster, Kevtris, and maybe a couple others only come to mind. Obviously, if the licensed conversions are in play, that's a different story.

To me those games are cheaper filler than licensing/using an original retail title (or an unreleased/finished prototype). I've felt the same way on previous products.

Excluding the SG-1000/MSX conversions, I'm struggling to recall 10 homebrew titles on par with an original retail game. Ghost Blaster, Kevtris, and maybe a couple others only come to mind. Obviously, if the licensed conversions are in play, that's a different story.

I'd say you'd consider 30 - 40% of the included homebrews on par with or better than the original releases. Licensed homebrews are not in play for various reasons (mostly the homebrew devs not wanting to expose themselves), though there's one that got through without a license because in the strictest sense I don't think one is necessarily available.

Keep in mind that three of the planned first party releases had to be dropped because they required either the Super Action Controllers or Roller Controller, so three homebrew releases - sort of like coming off the bench or up from the minor leagues to use a baseball analogy - were slotted in their place. I'd say these aren't the strongest titles, but it's still kind of nice to have them there for variety.

Actually, in looking at the list, there's one game on there that was noted in the "originals" list that is also a homebrew, so that brings the total to 11. By my rough count, there are also 14 first party titles, with a 15th the bonus game for the Dollar General version. The rest are third party, including a lot that Telegames used to publish.

• Like 2

If they can get a couple of MicroFun and Epyx games in there I'm halfway to being happy.

Is Parker Brothers or Imagic a problem? Does anyone know? The excellent Frogger, QBert and Popeye of course are an issue but the other games?

I would think Montezuma's Revenge and Imagic games wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not too knowledgeable of these things...

If they can get a couple of MicroFun and Epyx games in there I'm halfway to being happy.

Is Parker Brothers or Imagic a problem? Does anyone know? The excellent Frogger, QBert and Popeye of course are an issue but the other games?

I would think Montezuma's Revenge and Imagic games wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not too knowledgeable of these things...

No Parker Brothers.

Stuff I'd Probably Expect to See

Bump'n'Jump

BurgerTime

Carnival

Cosmic Avenger

Front Line

Gorf

Lady Bug

Looping

Mouse Trap

Mr. Do!

Pepper II

Space Fury

Space Panic

Turbo

Venture

Zaxxon

And of course those are all Coleco releases, albeit of games made by other companies (obscure and not so obscure).

I'm wondering about negotiations for things like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Jr., Time Pilot, and Smurfs where those are controlled and making money (licensing in other compilations) by their property holders.

Doesn't Activision own the rights to Imagic titles now? That might be some more negotiation getting their respective titles. I wouldn't expect any Atarisoft games.

Not all of those are on there, Zwackery (just a quick glance, at least half of those are missing), and I think the Imagic stuff in this case (since they're on there) must fall under Telegames, but not necessarily for the other Flashbacks, which may still fall under Activision. And yeah, Nintendo stuff and licensed properties like Smurfs had no chance of making it.

Nintendo would never license Donkey Kong out.

I wouldn't expect any Atarisoft games.

Jungle Hunt (They've licensed this from Taito for their Atari Flashbacks) and Centipede wouldn't seem out of the question considering their existing licensing relationship with the Atari rights holders.

Edited by Atariboy

Nintendo would never license Donkey Kong out.

Jungle Hunt (They've licensed this from Taito for their Atari Flashbacks) and Centipede wouldn't seem out of the question considering their existing licensing relationship with the Atari rights holders.

There's no Atarisoft stuff.

and one hack of a game to work with the regular controller.

Please tell me that they changed their mind about Turbo, it would be a major waste of the Sega license with AtGames because after Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr., Turbo, an excellent arcade port that's spot on, was another big selling point for Colecovision back in 1982!

Edited by TrekkiELO

Please tell me that they changed their mind about Turbo, it would be a major waste of the Sega license with AtGames because after Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr., Turbo, an excellent arcade port that's spot on, was another big selling point for Colecovision back in 1982!

I'm betting Destructor.

• Like 1

I'm betting Destructor.

I would not mind this one, but if Turbo isn't on there, then that is an epic fail, mistake and another missed opportunity in their case, a huge oversight for both AtGames and Sega!

Edited by TrekkiELO

I would not mind this one, but if Turbo isn't on there, then that is an epic fail, mistake and another missed opportunity in their case, a huge oversight for both AtGames and Sega!

Depends on how well it would play without the steering controller.

Depends on how well it would play without the steering controller.

The controller hack of Turbo that NewColeco did and made freely available on his website plays very well while using the standard CV Hand Controller... as do the other games that he hack to remove the requirement for a special controller.

OK, I'll point to the elephant in the room...

Will extra controllers be available for sale? I'd buy this thing just for the two new controllers, but it would also be nice if they sold replacement controllers in case the originals wear out (or you want to replace your original broken Coleco controllers).