IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Yes, at least one (sometimes more) game from every company you mentioned will be represented.

As for the special controllers/modules I know of no plans for AtGames doing anything like that. I'm just not sure it's in their business model. With that said, I'll bring it up if they include me in their discussions for the 2015 lineup.

Bill,

I beg you, please bring up Sega's Turbo on the Colecovision for their 2nd version or a driving controller side project, as it is by far the most playable and superior version of this game, even over its arcade coinop counterpart!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

They'd never do a Colecovision driving controller. The critical mass just isn't there.

The only chance for it on a future Colecovision Flashback with driving control is if their emulator was able to recognize the original controller. Then, they'd either have to include rom loading capabilities off SD or include the game as a easter egg if Sega gave it to them free as a package deal with other properties they're licensing or if they modify it for regular control (And set it up to recognize when a proper driving controller is inserted like the Atari counterparts do with paddles).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Man, this is too awesome... I've thought about the Coleco and how people said it had awesome games, but I can't really see going to the expense and storage space of buying a system and collecting for it.

What would you people recommend most, the Intelli or Coleco Flashback? I'm leaning towards Coleco since I've never played anything from the "third wave" of pre-crash video game systems (I call it gen 2.5).

• Like 1

I suggest getting both if you're interested. But if I had to pick one (And keep in mind that I haven't seen the full list of what's included), I imagine the Colecovision Flashback with lots of arcade style games like Pepper II will be the easiest for you to get into. A lot of the unlicensed 1st party catalog of Mattel/INTV titles that we know they're picking from are weak or hard to get into these days.

There's certainly some timeless classics there like Thin Ice that are likely going to make the cut. But a lot of the library can be a bit difficult for a newcomer to appreciate like the sports titles. The arcade style action that has perhaps aged the best and is the most accessible and likely to entertain a newcomer in 2014 tended to be based on licensed arcade titles or were released by 3rd parties. And both of those categories will be absent here.

And a significant percentage of the likely candidates such as Triple Action's excellent biplanes mode are two player only experiences which is another thing to keep in mind.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

What would you people recommend most, the Intelli or Coleco Flashback? I'm leaning towards Coleco since I've never played anything from the "third wave" of pre-crash video game systems (I call it gen 2.5).

If you have a Nintendo DS or PS2 you can score a copy of Intellivision Lives! and try out some INTV games. Because of my username I have to recommend Shark! Shark! for the INTV, it's very simple and addictive.

I'm not sure if the INTV Flashback has removable controllers, the CV Flashback will have removable controllers. That's a pretty big selling point.

I grew up playing INTV. It's has a fun library. If you want to play one, buy a real INTV. I don't own one currently because I don't have the room for another system. That's pretty much the same excuse you have.

I don't think the INTV Flashback has any Imagic games built in. The Imagic titles really shine on the INTV. You'll be missing out on some of the best games the INTV has to offer if you buy the Flashback.

I get what you're going for, a plug and play that you probably won't have out most of the time, that might turn into a stepping stone for actually purchasing a vintage system.

Buy the CV Flashback, you won't get Donkey Kong on it, but you probably have that on the NES anyway.

Edited by sega_SHARK
  • Like 1

I just ordered all 4 retro systems, because it sucks to have to make choices.

As it happens, my crash-era childhood Intellivision cost the same $40 as this Flashback, except it didn't include any games. I've been messing around with the Intellivision Lives DS game I just got from ebay yesterday, and while it's a great emulator (the old games look wonderful on a 3DS XL), the flat touchscreen just isn't the same as the feeling of the original "phone pad" hand controller.

It doesn't have to be either-or, this thing will be able to be enjoyed next to a "real" Intellivision. I haven't gone down the true retro path because RF output is a pain (no CRTs at my house) and the clutter of cartridges is not appealing at all to me. I might change my mind because the systems are cheap and plentiful on ebay, and often come with lots of boxed software.

The Colecovision will be the only way I've been able to show support for the old weird games from Universal and Exidy that aren't anywhere else, since the Kickstarter flopped.

As for the Sega and Atari collections? At this point it's just "what the hell" because I want to check them out. My daughter will be 7 by then so there's an off chance she'll take to one of them, which would warm my grumpy old heart.

Tip to ATgames, as if they're reading this: a proper Atari 7800 Flashback would be a thing of beauty.

Man, this is too awesome... I've thought about the Coleco and how people said it had awesome games, but I can't really see going to the expense and storage space of buying a system and collecting for it.

You really don't have to go through a large expense, dedicate storage space and even collect for a particular system these days with so many great Multi-Cart options that are available. In the case of the ColecoVision, you can narrow things down to a few options:

1) Buy a loose original CV system for around $50-$60 (sometimes you can find them for less) and then buy the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart for $129.95. With this setup, you can place all the original releases, unreleased and prototype rom images from the 80's and A LOT of the homebrews that have been made since the mid-90's on the SD Card and therefore have a huge library of games at your disposal that will keep you busy for many a night. You could even have Yurkie mod-up the system to your liking at a later date.

2) Buy a Yurkie modded CV system and the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. You can find info about Yurkie's mods in his pinned thread as well as his sales thread in the MarketPlace. You will have piece of mind knowing that you will be receiving a perfectly working system with some added benefits that the mods will provide.

These first two options will also allow you to use any of the special controllers made by Coleco if you ever become interested, of course offer a cartridge port if you ever want to buy a new Homebrew release and has the front Expansion Interface for hooking up the Opcode SGM for playing games that require it. Basically put, you have options available to you if and when the desire or need arises.

3) Buy the CV Flashback (CVF) with it's 60 built-in games and then if sales warrant it, buy the CVF 2 in the future for it's lineup of games that weren't on the CVF 1. Again, if sales warrant it, further into the future, buy the CVF 3 for it's lineup of games.

Please don't take option #3 as if I am knocking the CVF as that is the furthest thing from the truth. I applaud AtGames making the CVF and all the added attention that it will bring to the CV plus I will be buying one or possibly two depending on what additional game is included on the Dollar General sold system.

If I was just starting out with the CV, I would personally go with Option #2. Sure, it's a more expensive route to take, but you have options with this setup and access to every ROM file that has been made available over the years.

Oh yeah, I recommend the ColecoVision... whether it be the actual system or the Flashback! :D

• Like 2

You really don't have to go through a large expense, dedicate storage space and even collect for a particular system these days with so many great Multi-Cart options that are available. In the case of the ColecoVision, you can narrow things down to a few options:

1) Buy a loose original CV system for around $50-$60 (sometimes you can find them for less) and then buy the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart for $129.95. With this setup, you can place all the original releases, unreleased and prototype rom images from the 80's and A LOT of the homebrews that have been made since the mid-90's on the SD Card and therefore have a huge library of games at your disposal that will keep you busy for many a night. You could even have Yurkie mod-up the system to your liking at a later date.

2) Buy a Yurkie modded CV system and the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart. You can find info about Yurkie's mods in his pinned thread as well as his sales thread in the MarketPlace. You will have piece of mind knowing that you will be receiving a perfectly working system with some added benefits that the mods will provide.

These first two options will also allow you to use any of the special controllers made by Coleco if you ever become interested, of course offer a cartridge port if you ever want to buy a new Homebrew release and has the front Expansion Interface for hooking up the Opcode SGM for playing games that require it. Basically put, you have options available to you if and when the desire or need arises.

3) Buy the CV Flashback (CVF) with it's 60 built-in games and then if sales warrant it, buy the CVF 2 in the future for it's lineup of games that weren't on the CVF 1. Again, if sales warrant it, further into the future, buy the CVF 3 for it's lineup of games.

4) Emulation... ...of course there are downsides, but the upside is that it is significantly less expensive than the first three options... ...and you can still choose from any of the other options in addition to an emulation strategy.

I remember before I got back into the colecovision seen, I tried emulation and I thought it sucked big time.

Few years after I finally got my colecovision fixed and started collecting and remembered how awesome these games were and finalized my original thought that emulation sucks!

I remember before I got back into the colecovision seen, I tried emulation and I thought it sucked big time.

Few years after I finally got my colecovision fixed and started collecting and remembered how awesome these games were and finalized my original thought that emulation sucks!

Some systems emulate well and others do not. One of the reasons I collect games from the early to mid eighties is because none of those systems emulate well. At least without using the original controllers and a device to hook them to a computer. (But if your going to that much trouble you might as well use the system to and go 100 percent authentic.)

4) Emulation... ...of course there are downsides, but the upside is that it is significantly less expensive than the first three options... ...and you can still choose from any of the other options in addition to an emulation strategy.

That was an option which I had considered including as well, but the message poster that I responded to stated that he was considering the purchase of the Inty and CV Flashback, so to me that sounds like he wants an actual system and not to go the emulation route. There are very good emulation options for the CV (BlueMSX, MEKA, M.E.S.S., ADAMem, etc.) and I use this option a lot more than I'd like to admit for quick tests so that I don't have to put all the wear and tear on my systems. I also really like the option of savestates, but there is a lot to be desired with the emulation route and always will be.

If people can afford to, Option #2 is still the best, otherwise Option #3 should be a good alternative.

Colecovision emulation on the OUYA or Nvidia Shield (which might just get another price drop if the rumored v2 is really coming) is quite nice, the controls map well to a modern joypad.

Intellivision emulation is harder to realize because of the 16-way disc and buttons which are more integral to the main games. I would love to see a 3DS Intellivision set with all the third party ROMs.

Hey guys for the input. I read all your posts but I can't reply individually to all of them. It seems that the general consensus is that the Coleco has better ports and more games worth playing. Also it seems to be the most advanced system and also has the benefit of more 3rd party games. I took the liberty of looking at a leaked/speculative Intellivision lineup as wasn't really impressed with what I saw. It seemed half of the speculated games were sports titles.

Coleco had some really solid 2600 ported titles and frankly I don't care about Donkey Kong that much as I have the definitive Nintendo "Complete Edition" burned onto an NES repro, and I'm fairly sure the NES version is more accurate than any other available console port; moreso with the missing cement level and partial cutscenes. I've also got Classic Kong for SNES and others. I recently purchased the 7800 homebrew Beef Drop, which is supposedly an excellent Burgertime port; as well I have the official 2600 port, so again no great loss if it's not included on the Coleco colection.

FYI, I bought both Flashbacks to support the retro movement. This was before I realised that there was a strong likelyhood that many of the Intellivision titles would be sports games. And supposedly a highly desirable CV title being exclusive to the Dollar General edition. Cest La Vie. For someone who has zero experience with the console, the controllers for both consoles look to be top notch and it will serve as a nice introductory system.

In short, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to broadening my horizons. ;)

I scrolled back a bit and didn't see anything, so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Toys R Us seems to have a new listing for the ColecoVision Flashback - at least new since the last one I saw:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35350896

It mentions having "60 titles" including Venture, Zaxxon, Space Panic, Pepper 2 and Jumpman Junior.

The most accurate official home conversion of Donkey Kong on a home console is on the Nintendo 64.

Man, I loved that game... I believe the arcade machine was buried in one of the latter stages. Totally breaks the 4th wall. Donkey Kong walks up to the arcade machine; starts playing Donkey Kong... :D

Edited by stardust4ever

I scrolled back a bit and didn't see anything, so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Toys R Us seems to have a new listing for the ColecoVision Flashback - at least new since the last one I saw:

It mentions having "60 titles" including Venture, Zaxxon, Space Panic, Pepper 2 and Jumpman Junior.

They appear to be basing the description off the unofficial boxart. :ponder:

• Like 1

I just had a look at the box again, and I noticed something funny: The overlays (pictured on the bottom right corner of the front of the box) are shaped like Intellivision overlays. :P

I thought we discussed this earlier (it could have been in the Intellivision Flashback thread), but don't read too much into the boxes that Toys R Us shows. Technically, they weren't even supposed to post anything yet, and, since none of the box art was/is officially signed off on, they've only been posting various stages of mock-ups. What's pictured on these is mostly true, but keep in mind that there were some changes to the game line-up and other things that should make the final boxes different (including the fact that the console itself doesn't look like the actual ColecoVision on the front of the box, only reminiscent of it).

For what it's worth, the games indicated on the front of the box all made the final cut.

To the earlier Intellivision point, just as the ColecoVision was known for its arcade ports, the Intelliivision was indeed known for its sports titles and adventure/RPG games. By my count on the Intellivision, there are 17 or 18 sports and racing games that someone might classify as "sports" on the standard Intellivision Flashback (with an 18th or 19th on the bonus version). There are four of the adventure/RPG games. The rest are the usual board, action, education, and voice games.

I thought we discussed this earlier (it could have been in the Intellivision Flashback thread), but don't read too much into the boxes that Toys R Us shows. Technically, they weren't even supposed to post anything yet, and, since none of the box art was/is officially signed off on, they've only been posting various stages of mock-ups. What's pictured on these is mostly true, but keep in mind that there were some changes to the game line-up and other things that should make the final boxes different (including the fact that the console itself doesn't look like the actual ColecoVision on the front of the box, only reminiscent of it).

Have you checked the Toys'R'Us preview lately? The front of the box now shows the actual AtGames mini-console, not the old ColecoVision console. :)

To the earlier Intellivision point, just as the ColecoVision was known for its arcade ports, the Intellivision was indeed known for its sports titles and adventure/RPG games. By my count on the Intellivision, there are 17 or 18 sports and racing games that someone might classify as "sports" on the standard Intellivision Flashback (with an 18th or 19th on the bonus version). There are four of the adventure/RPG games. The rest are the usual board, action, education, and voice games.

Wait, you mean they managed to cram the Intellivoice module in their design, and we'll be able to play Bomb Squad on the thing? I must say that's quite impressive. :)

• Like 1

It's funny, if you zoom or try to make the ColecoVision Flashback image on the Toys R Us Website big, it shows one of the older box designs. The small version is probably the closest yet to what the final will be based on previous discussions, though I still haven't personally been told or seen the final design.

Can't tell the tone of your second comment about the Intellivoice, but several of the voice games are definitely on the Intellivision Flashback...

You can guess what is on the Intellivision Flashback by looking at the lineup for "Intellivision Lives!" on other systems. If it's the same as the DS version but with replica controllers, that's good enough for me. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision_Lives!

Many Colecovision games were cut-down ports of the arcade originals, but I remember the cv versions fondly so it would be fun to play them again with nostalgic controls, especially for the price of a tank of gas.

I prefer the Colecovision version of Pepper II to the arcade version. We're likely to get that!

I also prefer the Intellivision version of Burgertime to any other version. It's a shame we aren't getting that, but not a deal breaker.

If I were a mad billionaire, that's one of the things I would buy back for the public good, just to set it free.

You can guess what is on the Intellivision Flashback by looking at the lineup for "Intellivision Lives!" on other systems. If it's the same as the DS version but with replica controllers, that's good enough for me. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision_Lives!

Many Colecovision games were cut-down ports of the arcade originals, but I remember the cv versions fondly so it would be fun to play them again with nostalgic controls, especially for the price of a tank of gas.

I prefer the Colecovision version of Pepper II to the arcade version. We're likely to get that!

I also prefer the Intellivision version of Burgertime to any other version. It's a shame we aren't getting that, but not a deal breaker.

If I were a mad billionaire, that's one of the things I would buy back for the public good, just to set it free.

I need your car, it is only half a tank of gas for me :)

I did play burgertime a lot on intellivision. I think I like the colecovision one better just because it had more levels to play.

• Like 1