IGNORED

HSC11 Round 8: "H" Home & Garden plus Catch-up "A-F"

Catch-up Rounds A-F

If you missed any rounds or want to improve any scores then now's your chance - play anything you missed and earn some cherished HSC points for making a top 10 position or making improvements to your score. Checkout the Games Played This Season. Post scores on this thread ;)

Home & Garden

With great graphics and decent gamplay we start indoors with

Henry's House

Fandal XEX, Atarimania Info - checkout the comments from the Author!

Press START/F2 to begin each go from the 1st screen. IF you struggle (not top players!) use the infinite lives option CPM to practice the game or press fire to start on the last screen reached. There are only 10 screens before they repeat again so the game is deliberately tough, but you can make good progress.

henrys_house.png

And once you've finished inside you can mow the lawn or 16 in Llamasoft's tricky but equally crazy

Hover Bovver

Fandal XEX, Atarimania Info

This game may seem difficult at first but be bold and speed about to run rings around the baddies erm the neighbours :ponder: and you'll soon get into it. Press fire (best to dab it) to keep the dogs at bay! If it's too tough on NTSC try on PAL (emulator users).

hover_bovver.png

Scoring - Henry's House and Hover Bovver count towards standard HSC points; beat krupkaj's H.H. record of 12,540 [s3r20] for a bonus point

Catch-up - Missed games: 1pt playing, +1pt for making the top 10 in the table for that game, +1pts for top 5, +1pt for top 3, +1pt for winning, +1pt for HSC record! (may reduce this for bonus games)

Improvements: +1pt for beating your score plus 1pt per two places on the table?

Round closes Sun 18th May 10am UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY :party: [Beginners Guide]

Edited by therealbountybob
New Scoring

If you missed any rounds or want to improve any scores then now's your chance - play anything you missed and earn some cherished HSC points for making a top 10 position or making improvements to your score.

How many points are we talking about here for improving my score? I'd devote some time to Frogger 2 (I feel I was just really getting the hang of it-- and making use of the turtle on later levels seems 100% required!). That's been my favorite game this round so far.

In issue 116 of "Retro Gamer" (from 2013) on page 50 is an article called "Minority Report: Atari 8-Bit." The article includes about a page dedicated to the Atari version of "Henry's House." The game is recommended. Retro Gamer, in another issue (I can't remember which!) included background from "Chris Murray" (the game's author) that talked about making the game. I think he said that he got 10 pence per game sold. I with I could find the history of the game in that magazine-- it was a great read! (Does anyone know the issue that I'm referring to?)

I've played "Henry's House" before, but it pretty hard on my NTSC 130XE. I think that this is one that I'll play in PAL mode (like it's meant to be played) via the emulator to see if that makes much difference.

Retro Gamer, in another issue (I can't remember which!) included background from "Chris Murray" (the game's author) that talked about making the game.

Huh! What do you know. I am certain that I read Murray's comments in Retro Gamer. However, I just went to download the game from AtariMania and Marray's comments are there under "trivia!" There is no source for the "trivia" mentioned-- so I'm not sure if Retro Gamer quote the website or if it was the other way around. Either way, here's exactly what the trivia says:

"Henry's House was originally called Home Sweet Home. The publisher (English Software) of the C64 (first) version wanted to take advantage of the fact Charles and Di had just had Prince Harry so they renamed it. This is why the title piccy looks a bit odd - it was based on one of the Home Sweet Home stitching thingies and never meant to say Henry's House. I've got some silly letter from Buck Palace as the publisher sent a C64 and game to Diane and Charles for them to play - yeah, right... LOL. The reason the caterpillar appears when you type my initials in the title screen (infinite lives) was so I could brag 'it's the only bug in the game'.

Henry's House on C64 sold for £5.95 or £8.95 (I can't recall which) - I got £1 a unit. Henry's House on Atari sold for £1.99 under Mastertronic and I got... wait for it... 10p a unit. I had a £1500 advance recouped against royalties which meant nothing more until 15,000 games sold and I thought hmmm... nothing then. I got about £500-£1000 a month for over a year, crazy numbers, and proved a lot to me that there's a price people are willing to pay. I made a lot more from the cheap version despite getting 10 times less per unit.

I, er... used to go to John Menzies, Virgin, WH Smith and move my games to number one spots and spread them out a bit."

I also found a review of "Henry's House" from 1988.

HENRY'S HOUSE [for Atari 800]

Little Henry has hit upon a spot of bother! He only took a small sip of his chemically minded father's latest liquid concoction but now he is just six inches high and locked inside the broom cupboard, and so he must embark on a desperate quest in search of a cure, avoiding a multitude of obstacles along the way, from terrible toothbrushes through pestiferous parrots and chefs chasing chickens to a final encounter with the vicious vampire!!

This could only be the zany plot to HENRY'S HOUSE, a game that Commodore owners saw several years ago when it was marketed by (dare I say) English Software, but has now, at long last, been released in Atari format by the budget pioneers Mastertronic. It could be described as a cross between Jet Set Willy and Bounty Bob Strikes Back, but any similarity with the former game is strictly based on concept only, as this one is 100% playable and, quite honestly, a platform enthusiast's delight!

There are eight different levels in the game, each representing a room of Henry's house (funnily enough!). Each room is packed with artifacts and obstacles strewn across a familiar ladders and levels background, together with various traps designed specifically to end Henry's mission, such as low-flying toast in the kitchen, a high speed slipper in the bedroom and a hyper-active cuckoo clock in the lounge! When all necessary objects have been collected, a key is revealed which enables access to the following room. Henry can walk or jump, but only minor falls are permitted so his three lives tend to deplete pretty rapidly. A particularly commendable feature is that you can re-commence the game from the level you previously completed, as opposed to the very beginning. On the negative side, this makes the game a lot easier to complete and once you've conquered all eight rooms you simply return to the first at an apparently identical level of difficulty.

Graphics art nothing less than superb. Colour has been used to exceptional effect and there's plenty of animation together with bright, clearly defined objects and some cleverly drawn scenery. Sound is also above average, with a cheerful 'Rule Brittania' theme tune and adequate sound effects throughout the main game.

The thing that makes HENRY'S HOUSE so refreshing is the liberal injection of humour into the plot and graphics. Small details such as pictures on the television set and nasties lurking in the bathroom all contribute to this favourable impression. Add to this a super little platform game and the result is an incredibly addictive piece of software that should not be missing from your collection]

Paul Rixon

Published by Mastertronic -£1-99 on cassette- 1 player with joystick

I always enjoy reading reviews of a game from the era that the game was made. It allows me to view (and play) the game from the perspective of the time that game was made rather than now.

• Like 1

Mmmmhhh, HENRYS HOUSE...

Loved it this time back...

I was young...

So no big money available and those Mastertronic tapes were nice games for small budget.

And so Henrys House was one those games I loaded that often...

Just loved the graphics that much...

But mroe than room 4 isn't possible for me these times.

I remember I was in higher rooms, but for the moment, hmm...

In this room this flying bird kills me faster than I can take a look onto the screen.

So for the moment I need to say the maximum I had with the last few (well, will say approx 25 turns I played this game today) plays a total of

HENRY'S HOUSE 7870 in room 4

HOVER BOVVER

one of the lawnmover games.

I had in this genre other favourites.

as I also think this one is really hard to play.

But at the end, nice intro sequence, but with every live again nerves...

So nice game but not my favourite...

HOVER BOVVER 322

Cheers mates

GAME ON...

Markus

Edited by powersoft
  • Like 1

After awhile of playing hover boover, it has weird colors.

Ahh you should try Hover Bovver :grin: might be attract mode - press a key - but perhaps try another version from atarionline.pl ;-)

Tough game but I did a few lawns - you really need to be careful not to trim the flower beds!!

9,203 post-19705-0-05861300-1399282811_thumb.jpg

How many points are we talking about here for improving my score? I'd devote some time to Frogger 2 (I feel I was just really getting the hang of it-- and making use of the turtle on later levels seems 100% required!). That's been my favorite game this round so far.

EVERYONE: I've added some potential scoring for "Catch-Up and Improve Scores" to the first post. The scoring is per game not per round. I've tried to balance this with the points for the round itself, of course exceptional gaming feats may bag extra HSC points :)

Had another bash at Easy Money - managed a small improvement $67 ($64)

Did/Has anyone beat/en this - can you always get all the $ on each level. What about crossing that moving platform over the water at the bottom left of screen around $70ish...

post-19705-0-89171400-1399306847_thumb.jpg

and Escape from Doomworld again improved to 16,910 (13,910)

On Doomworld's Choplitfer stage on one go I got to the end base and loaded up some fellows but on another I got there and couldn't land? Is there something else you need to do on the way?

post-19705-0-79892200-1399306856_thumb.jpg

Ahh you should try Hover Bovver :grin: might be attract mode - press a key - but perhaps try another version from atarionline.pl ;-)

Tough game but I did a few lawns - you really need to be careful not to trim the flower beds!!

9,203 attachicon.gifHovBovv.jpg

EVERYONE: I've added some potential scoring for "Catch-Up and Improve Scores" to the first post. The scoring is per game not per round. I've tried to balance this with the points for the round itself, of course exceptional gaming feats may bag extra HSC points :)

Ulf's Berzerk does the same thing. The longer you play it, it changes colors.

Escape from Doomworld again improved to 16,910 (13,910)

On Doomworld's Choplitfer stage on one go I got to the end base and loaded up some fellows but on another I got there and couldn't land? Is there something else you need to do on the way?

attachicon.gifEscapeFromDoomworld-16910.jpg

Not that I can remember, you just fly along and land. Although I do remember the first time I tried I couldn't land for some reason.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the next level. A couple of us who got onto the third level found that you seem to instantly lose your remaining lives as if there was a bug

Ulf's Berzerk does the same thing. The longer you play it, it changes colors.

Talking of The Immortal One (no not the Hulkster) have you 'forked out' for powersort's Pro© magazine yet? ;)

ha! the gardening puns round has started by accident, dig it :-D

Not that I can remember, you just fly along and land. Although I do remember the first time I tried I couldn't land for some reason.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the next level. A couple of us who got onto the third level found that you seem to instantly lose your remaining lives as if there was a bug

I'm going to play these two for some more punishement plus more Frogger II no doubt, might have another crack at A.E too :)

• Like 1

Henry's House and Hover Bovver will both count towards the normal HSC points as they seem good to play :)

Henry's House 9,205 nearly completed screen 4, really liking this as I can't remember the screens at all!

post-19705-0-84990300-1399482997_thumb.jpg

Hover Bovver 5,324 8,460 8,631 (4) insane inane fun :D

post-19705-0-00472100-1399482883_thumb.jpg

Escape from Doomworld 19,210 19,760 Seems you pull left to collect or right to deposit the guys after landing. Really tight for time so you need to be quick on the platform part to have enough time to do the rescue part - so far I've managed to get 8 out the 12 guys home :ponder:

post-19705-0-69082300-1399482887_thumb.jpg

Easy Money $71 here are the two screens I was wondering about (bottom left section on both of them):

post-19705-0-54206600-1399482884_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-13557300-1399482886_thumb.jpg

Also has a non HSC play on Techno Ninja after reading about it in Pro© Magazine; didn't finish the first level but will be playing this some more... nice game, if it runs on NTSC we can add it to the list for "T games" later in the season :)

Catch-up Rounds A-F

If you missed any rounds or want to improve any scores then now's your chance - play anything you missed and earn some cherished HSC points for making a top 10 position or making improvements to your score. Checkout the Games Played This Season. Post scores on this thread.

Catch-up - Missed games: [/b]1pt playing, +1pt for making the top 10 in the table for that game, +1pts for top 5, +1pt for top 3, +1pt for winning, +1pt for HSC record! (may reduce this for bonus games)

Considering joining the Atari800 HSC, since I have been having so much fun with the Atari 2600 HSC. Just trying to understand the scoring for catch up players. It looks like you can only score bonus points (+5 possible), since normal rankings are past the weeks for posting scores. With 6 or so games (A-F), you might be able to score 30 points, which is about half the current leaderboard scores.

Is that accurate?

Edited by CapitanClassic

Considering joining the Atari800 HSC, since I have been having so much fun with the Atari 2600 HSC. Just trying to understand the scoring for catch up players. It looks like you can only score bonus points (+5 possible), since normal rankings are past the weeks for posting scores. With 6 or so games (A-F), you might be able to score 30 points, which is about half the current leaderboard scores.

Is that accurate?

Hi CaptainClassic, yes new players are always welcome :thumbsup: the Catch-Up scoring is per game not per round so you have a lot of potential points as this season we usually play 2-3 games per round :)

Perhaps playing a missed game should score the points according to where they would have finished in the table for that round.

Isn't that what you used to do?

CATCH-UP SCORING: In the past seasons it was straight points per games but this time we have multiple games making one set of HSC points and players may not want to play all the games... what I proposed on the first post may change, either way I'll make it fairish when I do the tables so go ahead everyone and fill your gaming boots :)

Getting the hang of Henry's House (apart from the 99 goes before this one) got through to room 6: 13,420 got the last piece of ladder but getting the top right thing looks impossible so perhaps I went wrong!

post-19705-0-57836700-1399504651_thumb.jpg

Henry 7010

I was able to manage first 3 rooms. Nice game and pretty challenging. You dont stand right by 1 px and you are dead, no mercy.. :-o

:thumbsup:

Proper gaming 3 lives and pixel perfect jumping :lust:

Be interesting to compare routes on the levels I suspect there are some shortcuts/optimal ways - not tried jumping through the mouth yet! You can save a lot of time collecting stuff by jumping up - I've managed to collect every item so far (rooms 1-5) ;)